Want to switch to Husky climbing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own both the ms200t and the 338xp.

The 338has more displacement and I think .2 more hp? Weight is same, I weighed both.

The ms200t is balanced from the trigger, the 338xp tips foward, but allows you to point the saw out and still access the trigger, giving more reach than the 200t. To me the 200t is more ergonimic for a bucket rider or someone who cuts below the waist. For me the ergonimics of the 338xp work better for a climber, besides the fact it is easier to move through the tree with due to it's shape. Ms200t is a box.

Stock the 338xp winds up slower than my 200t, mod the spark arrestor cover on the 338 , not the spark arrestor and the 338xp screams right on up.

I prefer the 338xp over the 200t in a tree.

that is a bold statement.

i own both saws as well and they are damn fine saws. but i am perfectly happy knowing my back up saw is my 338xp.

to each their own of course!

correct me if i am wrong but isnt the husky 39cc and the stihl 35cc?

oldirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by frashdog

that is a bold statement.

i own both saws as well and they are damn fine saws. but i am perfectly happy knowing my back up saw is my 338xp.

to each their own of course!

correct me if i am wrong but isnt the husky 39cc and the stihl 35cc?

oldirty
yea the 338xp is a larger displacement saw and same weight as 200t...that's better power weight.

Again I prefer it in the tree for two reasons.

One, the balance: For me I can reach out further and more comfortably when cutting from my chest level. Look and feel the the wrist position of a 200t held arm(s) horizontal, not "ergonomic". For me the 338xp is just nicer to my wrist.

Two, the shape: When climbing my 200t was always hanging up on stuff due to it's boxy shape. The 338xp has a nice bullet shape butt, so when hanging from a saddle it does not hang up anywhere near as much as the 200t did.

Yes, the 200t has more metal on the outside and looks like it would survive falls much better, but I did not buy the saw to drop. I stopped dropping saws after I recieved a bungee lanyard.

If I was in a bucket I would want a 200t. I still use the 200t if I have a lot of limbing on the ground to do. So easy to one hand below the waist:chainsaw:

Many people mod 200t's muffler (I mod all my mufflers) pick up a stock 338xp and compare it to a 200t with modded spark arrestor, the 338xp is a dog. Funny story: one of my bros started climbing for several years with a used modded 200t, he got a new 200t and was like "what the?!". Ran like a dog when compared to the modded one. The 338xp is sooo easy to mod the muffler.

Hey, you're right, to each their own. I never though I'd buy another Husky until I was offered a brand new one almost $200 less than a 200t. Frankly, I'm impressed.

sorry Mike.

i always want husky to be the best and with the exception of this category,it is.i met the husky top handle engineer at the tree show in Hartford.the first words out of his mouth were "don't kill me!" i told him to send me a new 338 and i'd spare his life.i'd like to try it but so far i have not seen a husky top handle that comes even close to the ms200.you're welcome to come by and prove me wrong anytime.i have asked more than one dealer for a demo on the new 338 but i never hear back.they must be scared of something.

I call BS!
This thread is way out of control. The 200 is a fine saw, but so is the husky. Out of the box, the saws are very close in cutting performance, the edge goes slightly to the husky, which is the case for the whole husky line compared to stihl.
To say your friend's saw is that much faster says you don't haver a clue. Your saw is dull or not running right, either that or his saws is modified.

Talking about balance is tricky, you want it slightly nose heavy, it's easier to cut.

The older versions of husky were plagued with some problems, which since have been fixed.

The two saws are close, if I were buying, I'd go husky. If it were free, I'd take stihl. The husky is a slightly better value, the stihl is a slightly better saw.

Stihl vs. Husky

I own mainly Stihl saws. I have owned both brand trim saws in question. I believe the Stihl trim saw wins hands down. I loved the speed of the Husky though, but didn't feel it had the torque the Stihl has. I wish I owned a few larger Huskys though, because I feel they run pretty darn sweet (fast). I look like a Stihl man if you were to see my inventory, but wow the last few Husky's sure were impressive. If you want the best trim saw in my opinion, I recommend the ms200/020t. I have owned lots of them, and only one Husky trim saw. Have fun but be safe!

Back