Want to switch to Husky climbing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
husky is bar far the best for big.stihl is the top choice for small.

Not by far by a long shot. I have 2 3120's, one is fully woods modded..and a great saw. But, general consensus is the 880 is better. And I am now on my third 066/660...all dual port mufflers. Many say the 395 is a tad faster, stock or modded, but it is also a fair bit heavier. 046 and 044 are great saws, but I prefer the 372 and 7900 Dolmar.

the 440/044, 046/460 are the largest selling logging saws by a huge margin, at least out west. Reliable, long lasting saws for sure.

all this brand loyalty BS...I like them all.

Not by far by a long shot. I have 2 3120's, one is fully woods modded..and a great saw. But, general consensus is the 880 is better. And I am now on my third 066/660...all dual port mufflers. Many say the 395 is a tad faster, stock or modded, but it is also a fair bit heavier. 046 and 044 are great saws, but I prefer the 372 and 7900 Dolmar.

Lower peek power = more pull in the cut.

the 440/044, 046/460 are the largest selling logging saws by a huge margin, at least out west. Reliable, long lasting saws for sure.

Either bulk sale discounts or Brand loyalty.

If a brand works for you; why change?

Hey Joe! I liked the idea of being able to one hand. But if they don't have enough grunt to do the bigger work I will either have to get two extra saws or just get along without the one handing ability. I can import one for nearly half the price of buying one locally. Thanks.

Not supposed to one hand, I'm suprised the doo-gooders haven't jumped all over you yet.

You can one hand with a rear handle saw... the top handle saws are just made for it. (despite what they say)

Not supposed to one hand, I'm suprised the doo-gooders haven't jumped all over you yet.

:cheers:

They can try and stop me [and everyone esle - whether they care to admit it or not]

You can one hand with a rear handle saw... the top handle saws are just made for it. (despite what they say)

:sword:

I call BS!
This thread is way out of control. The 200 is a fine saw, but so is the husky. Out of the box, the saws are very close in cutting performance, the edge goes slightly to the husky, which is the case for the whole husky line compared to stihl.
To say your friend's saw is that much faster says you don't haver a clue. Your saw is dull or not running right, either that or his saws is modified.

Talking about balance is tricky, you want it slightly nose heavy, it's easier to cut.

The older versions of husky were plagued with some problems, which since have been fixed.

The two saws are close, if I were buying, I'd go husky. If it were free, I'd take stihl. The husky is a slightly better value, the stihl is a slightly better saw.
Amen...

To much brand loyalty is actually bad for all of us as consumers. If your buying equipment based on the manufacturer and nothing else, then the makers dont have to develop there products or be more competitive with their pricing, dont have to offer as good service, follow up etc.

To much brand loyalty is actually bad for all of us as consumers. If your buying equipment based on the manufacturer and nothing else, then the makers dont have to develop there products or be more competitive with their pricing, dont have to offer as good service, follow up etc.

Exactly. We, the consumer, get screwed big time without the aid of competition. Companies today seem to buy out their rivals to do away with having to compete with them. Mega mergers may be good for their stock holders (and their underpaid CEO's) but do little to hold down costs to the end consumer. Keep your :Eye::Eye:, your ears, and your mind open.

Hi Timber, this sounds like Stihl to me. They are over priced I think.

Exactly. We, the consumer, get screwed big time without the aid of competition. Companies today seem to buy out their rivals to do away with having to compete with them. Mega mergers may be good for their stock holders (and their underpaid CEO's) but do little to hold down costs to the end consumer. Keep your [:Eye: :Eye: ], your ears, and your mind open.

Thats business. Dog eat dog! What a world we live in, eh.

i actually should have been more specific.

i have no use for a 3120,or an 880.if i did,i'd get an 084.395 is moe than i'll ever need.the weight is fine because it has more power than a 660.385xp is more comparable to a 660.

i like stihl fine but the big stuff is underpowered and overpriced.as are the parts.$40 for an airfilter that is always dirty compared to huskies filters that never seem to get dirty.

I"ll set you straight and save you from some pain, the 020/200 is THE saw in the trees. This pained me, as I was a Husky guy for years, still am, except I climb with a 200T. Had so many guys tell me it is better than the Husky, guys who have climbed for years and ran both. No point trying to reinvent the wheel.
converted
husky runner, concurs

i395 is moe than i'll ever need.the weight is fine because it has more power than a 660.385xp is more comparable to a 660.

I agree with ya on the filters. But you're wrong about the 660.....With full dual port muffler, it screams. Stock it will barely beat my woods ported 7900, which is faster than a 385XP, when both are in stock form.

Today, I had that 7900 buried in a 5.5x8.5 foot poplar stump, and she made the cut, with a 32 inch bar.... better saw than the 385 and lighter by a couple pounds.

My ehp 372/375 should be arriving any day now...and I expect it to be faster than the 7900, which wasn't built by Ed.

Last edited:
I had a race recently, my 338 against my buddies 200.
We set up a nice straight log with both ends out, and I told him to get started, I'd catch up.
Well, after about 20 pulls, his crappy stihl finally started. You could tell it was started because of all the smoke, it might have been on fire, I don't know. Then into the cut he went, more smoke, because stihls are alway dull.
I forgot I hadn't started my saw for two years and when I looked at the gas tank, it was empty. So I headed to the gas station, my buddy still smoking the log.
It's a 1/2 hour drive each way, so when I got back he was still a cutting. He burned about 2/3s of the way through the log.
I gave my saw one pull of the cord, made the cut, shut the saw off and started making lunch. The amazing part of it was I never gassed up my saw. Because it's a husky, it runs that fast just on air.
Imagine if it had gas!
My time through the log was a little faster than the predator cuts, but that's normal because its a husky.
As I type, my friend is still outside cutting and I suspect he'll be done in a few more days, you know because he's running a stihl...:popcorn:

Mike, I'm a stihl man thru and thru, But you are too funny!

Most funny Post ever !

I had a race recently, my 338 against my buddies 200.
We set up a nice straight log with both ends out, and I told him to get started, I'd catch up.
Well, after about 20 pulls, his crappy stihl finally started. You could tell it was started because of all the smoke, it might have been on fire, I don't know. Then into the cut he went, more smoke, because stihls are alway dull.
I forgot I hadn't started my saw for two years and when I looked at the gas tank, it was empty. So I headed to the gas station, my buddy still smoking the log.
It's a 1/2 hour drive each way, so when I got back he was still a cutting. He burned about 2/3s of the way through the log.
I gave my saw one pull of the cord, made the cut, shut the saw off and started making lunch. The amazing part of it was I never gassed up my saw. Because it's a husky, it runs that fast just on air.
Imagine if it had gas!
My time through the log was a little faster than the predator cuts, but that's normal because its a husky.
As I type, my friend is still outside cutting and I suspect he'll be done in a few more days, you know because he's running a stihl...:popcorn:

This is an old post I ran across and just had to dredge it up....
It's maybe the most Funny thing I've ever read on this site !

Hi Timber, this sounds like Stihl to me. They are over priced I think..

I agree, although most of my 20 saws are stihls (got rid of my larger huskys and dolmars to keep the bar and chain collection manageable).

I do have 3 346xp's and wouldnt swap them for any other saw.

If the manufacturers got there crap together and standardised bar and chains I would run more of a mix, I miss the sweet song my 372's, but messing around with different bars and chains wasnt worth the tune.

I agree, although most of my 20 saws are stihls (got rid of my larger huskys and dolmars to keep the bar and chain collection manageable).

I do have 3 346xp's and wouldnt swap them for any other saw.

If the manufacturers got there crap together and standardised bar and chains I would run more of a mix, I miss the sweet song my 372's, but messing around with different bars and chains wasnt worth the tune.

Had to re-read this thread: My 'brand loyalty BS' someone mentioned is due to the feel of the product and the direction that the manufacturers thinking seems to be going - the Jonsered appears to have more Torque than the Stihl's [and the Stihl's more Power than the Jonsered's] and apart from limbing where speed is preferable; the extra Torque has the advantage of more pull in the cut and therefore stays in the power band longer/easier. That's just my preference.

But this is only one (albeit major - at least to me) reason to jump one way or another. Timber: you are right about bar issues, it prevents interchangeability and I agree it is a big problem with a simple [mechanical] remedy. I wish they would work their crap out too!

And the $$$, well, I have killed the Homelite top handle. Not surprised really, domestic model, it has done well for what it was and what it was asked to eat! It managed to bring down 20" macrocarpa's!! And even though I would have liked to buy the 2139T (not available in NZ) or the 338XPT Cali (online - but exchange rate took a dive), either of them could have been bought for just over half the price of the 200T (in NZD terms), I am not production oriented and opted for the Solo 637 at NZD629.00 worked out at 40% of the price of the 200T!! And some tree guys here DO use this saw because of the price.

So preference, price, and usability all contribute to the best choice, not just brand loyalty BULLSH!T Now if the original querant had put in these parameters: different story maybe.

I have 2 200´s and use frecuently 338xp of a climber friend. Like the 200 handles and wheigh position, and the power of these. But the 338 is a good machine. The engine, and the crankcase is very resistent. For me, the 200 is better than Husky, but in other machines like more Husky. I love my 200 whit the 12" carving bar. Use this for prunning, and it´s more safety whit the 1/4 chain than the 3/8 low profile, and like the balanced of the machine more than the 14" 3/8.

I've been in love with my Husquvarna 395xp since she came into my life. But my employer runs Stihls and since he buys saws for us, I have an MS200, which is nice. I really love my Husky though and I want to go ahead and spend my own money on a 338xpt, but he insists I'll regret it. Says they break too easily. I don't think his former habit of throwing saws out of trees when things go badly helped in his assessment. I'm looking for real world working experience comparisons.

Hi, This post of mine is very beneficial and informative, however there are some specific facts or information that I require. If anyone can help me in this matter then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

Nabel, This isn't even your post. Stachura01 posted the question and started this thread.
Even so, just about everything that can be said about the two saws is in this thread.
I think your post is :spam:

Last edited:
Back