Want to switch to Husky climbing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL BS is it!!

The 020 was mine and the Husky my mates,and since there where 3 others standing there laughing at the Husky i'd say that I know better in THIS scenario.
Now either
1. I and 4 other professional tree surgeons dont know how to sharpen the Husky.
2 Some1 modded my 020 when i wasnt looking.
3 The Husky is a poor effort compared to the 020.
4 Or which is probably the case, the husky was a bad one which needed sending back to the manufacture.
It had been back to the dealer before this little test since we thought it was way underpowered but it came back saying it was fine!!!

It's now been lashed in a corner never to be used again, just glad it wasnt my £300 wasted since i was contemplating buying one just before my mate did, got a MS200T instead.

Tis a shame since I thought Husky would have made a real effort to improve the 335 to out class the MS200, If they bring out a new and improved 340(or something) then how many stihl fans are gonna think "Yeah Ill buy one, third time lucky!"

Well, I've run the 335's since they came out nearly 10 years ago...loaded with problems that they were. Not all of them cut the same, but most cut well. I've had 3 335's that were faster than 200T's..or about the same. None were more than a tad slower.....
You must have had a bad saw, or improperly tuned.

Actually it has added some ergonomics, and compares mainly to the 335, rather than the 334, but no matter. Like I said before it is comfortable for me, and I like it. Plus the price is much better than either the 338, or the ms200. Also I have found if I keep it sharp, (which why a climbing saw should ever be dull is beyond my comprehension, or why any self-respecting tree trimmer would run a dull saw is beyond me) I have no lacking of power, and side by side, I would run it next to, (and have) a Stihl "ultimate" saw.

Giving credit where it is due, however, I do like the Stihl recoil. Alot less shock and wear and tear on the arms.

I buy both my Stihl's and Husky's from the same dealer...I've had lemons out of Stihl and Husky...Both were equally excellent as far as service and getting the problem fixed.

Rahtree,
Just my opinion, and my experience...I really do NOT care if it is popular. I never really try to impress anyone, and am careful about who impresses me.

I do hand it to people here, however...that for the most part they stand behind their decisions like they wrote the gospel, and Stihl cosigned it. My experience with them has been almost...(not quite a 100%) negative.

Again, it could have been the dealer, could have been the rep. At one time on a crew with six brand new saws, (1980) only 1 functioned at a time for over a month, the other five were always in the shop. As soon as one was fixed, another went down. Bad ignitions. However whenever I have asked a rep, or dealer of the insanely worshipped Stihls if they have corrected their ignition problems...they have never admitted they had one.

At least Husky, and Johnsered admit they have problems, and work to improve them. Again, this is only my experience, and I DO hold a grudge for awhile, with Stihl, its been 27 years. That has not stopped me from playing with some of their new stuff...but I will never spend a dime into their organization.

Rahtree,
Just my opinion, and my experience...I really do NOT care if it is popular. I never really try to impress anyone, and am careful about who impresses me.

I do hand it to people here, however...that for the most part they stand behind their decisions like they wrote the gospel, and Stihl cosigned it. My experience with them has been almost...(not quite a 100%) negative.

Again, it could have been the dealer, could have been the rep. At one time on a crew with six brand new saws, (1980) only 1 functioned at a time for over a month, the other five were always in the shop. As soon as one was fixed, another went down. Bad ignitions. However whenever I have asked a rep, or dealer of the insanely worshipped Stihls if they have corrected their ignition problems...they have never admitted they had one.

At least Husky, and Johnsered admit they have problems, and work to improve them. Again, this is only my experience, and I DO hold a grudge for awhile, with Stihl, its been 27 years. That has not stopped me from playing with some of their new stuff...but I will never spend a dime into their organization.

Time to move on Dude!!!

Yeah, maybe,
But a man's climbing saw is like a partner, friend, confidant, and the only one who is keeping him company up in the tree., Kind of like a bird dog in the field, or a wife....
Once they let you down....you do not forget.

Time to move on Dude!!!

You crack me up!!!

For bigger saws I'm partial to husky's...But I've never been impressed with their attempt at climbing saws..If someone does build a saw that handles better than the 200...Then I'll plobably chunk my 200 and run it...So really...I'm not partial to any brand

Yeah, maybe,
But a man's climbing saw is like a partner, friend, confidant, and the only one who is keeping him company up in the tree., Kind of like a bird dog in the field, or a wife....
Once they let you down....you do not forget.

So then run what you feel works best for you...Nothing wrong with that..If you ask for opinions here you'll get em'.

i will admit that my 335 feels better than my 200.

but the 200 out cuts it.maybe the 335 needs a carb kit.it does feel more comfortable and is way more reliable.my 192 is more comfortable than my 200.

i only use the 200 for chunking.all the rest of the time i use the 335.well all the time right now because the 200 is in the shop waiting for stihl to feel like sending the crank seals out.

my next climbing saw will be the new 338.

Actually it has added some ergonomics, and compares mainly to the 335, rather than the 334, but no matter.

Sorry, oldugly....I've never seen a 2135, but thought I'd seen info stating that it had the 2.0 c.i. motor. But I just now checked several websites and it would appear that it is the same as the new 338.....having 2.3 hp and 38 cc....one picture shows it having a screw to hold on the spark plug cover.

If yours are stock, all you need to do is put a 9/16th id port on the lower part of the muffler, and maybe grind out some of the innards, if it has any. That will really wake up the saw's performance.

The 2135 I run in the tree is broke in now, and cuts pretty good. IT is very touchy on the carb settings. It will drink gas like beer if set at all too rich, and none to little power too lean, but where she's at right now she purrs for me. But I am not as close minded as accused of...because if I do see something I like better, I will try it. Hence the reason I did try my friends ms200.

Regardless, I am only giving my own personal preferences...others have theirs. I may make fun of them, but I respect them.

Johnsered and Husky are basically the same brand anyway, however the Johnny's recoil is set for better ergonomics, and yes they did add a screw in the sparkplug cover.

I would like to say price is no concern, but in reality value and economics seem to run hand in hand....coming in at 200 dollars less than the 338, and 250 less than the ms200, that little Johnny's doing pretty good for me.

But I am sincerely sorry for hijacking this thread, the originator asked for opinions and I wanted to share mine...regardless of the popularity. But I draggged out this discussion way too far. My apologies sir, and by all means do what YOU are comfortable with.

No appology neccesay!

I know others get irritated by what may seem to them as ramblings and tirades. I don't. In fact, I would have been dissapointed if guys just said...keep your 200...or yeah get the Husky. When I'm out on the job I learn much more by getting into it with the people I'm working with rather than reading a book or just doing what I'm told. I'm new here at AS, but am happy I stumbled into it. Let's me get inside other professionals heads. Close minded people stay where they are and I'm too busy trying to be better. Thanks for everyones input.

No appology necessary!

I know others get irritated by what may seem to them as ramblings and tirades. I don't. In fact, I would have been dissapointed if guys just said...keep your 200...or yeah get the Husky. When I'm out on the job I learn much more by getting into it with the people I'm working with rather than reading a book or just doing what I'm told. I'm new here at AS, but am happy I stumbled into it. Let's me get inside other professionals heads. Close minded people stay where they are and I'm too busy trying to be better. Thanks for everyones input.

I must say that I am not partial to any saw brand. I own Stihls, Dolmar, and Husky. As far as climbing saws, I have used both the 200T and the 338. In my experiance the 200T worked better all around. By this, I mean that the 200T cut faster and balenced better in my hand. As said above, the Husky is shaped a little better than the 200T and does not get caught on as many limbs. On paper, the 338 looks better, but I have not found this in practice. As far as the reliability issue, everyone that I talked to from dealers to other arborists/climbers agreed that the Stihl was the tougher of the two. That said, I cannot personally attest to that as I have never run the Husky for an extended amount of time. I will say that my 200T gets used everyday for all sorts of tasks and it is still running strong. My suggestion is to buy the Stihl.

When I first started climbing, the only small saws available around here were homelite xl12 and EZ. I don't think I have the arms to run one in a tree all day anymore. Don't laugh, but I use an 017 with a micro chain. not very heavy duty, but I try to be careful with it. The 020 is great for bucket work, leaves one hand free to grab limbs. With any stihl the first thing we do is remove the small plate on the muffler outlet and get rid of the screen, they clog after a couple months of use. Put in a new one if cutting in very dry conditions.

If yours are stock, all you need to do is put a 9/16th id port on the lower part of the muffler, and maybe grind out some of the innards, if it has any. That will really wake up the saw's performance.

rbtree, What all have you done to the 338? I have a 45cc 338 that I am about to tear into. I have never modded this style saw or known any one who did. Do you have any tips on porting that you would be willing to share.
I already have fixed a real square chisel chain. The saw just does not seem to run at its potential. I am thinking of trying to raise the compression, increase the intake timing, open the exhaust port, and maybe raise the transfers a little. But I have never even seen the inside of one of these saws, so I really don't know what to expect.
Any help would be appreciated.

Excuse me for a moment please Stachura01

Hi Oldugly, I have been trying to find a Jonsered 2135T for sale from an internet site that will ship to NZ. You didn't buy yours from such a place did you? I really like Jonsereds style and think they are a quality brand and agree the consumer should reward a company by being loyal.

I've had premature breakdowns with Stihl and Husky both - like within a week. And both have given good service.

Right now, I'm considering a new saw, and tend to lean toward Husky.

Won't touch a Sachs with a 1000 foot pole. A Sach's dealer in Hillsboro, Oregon, in the 80s, bragged on about how great Sachs were. So I bought a saw from him. With proper care and lubrication, the Sachs engine shattered in the piston / rod area in less than 20 hours of use.

Piece of trash.

Sure not all Sachs are like that - but it was no selling point that Sachs was as good or better than Stihl and Husky.

Sorry,
I bought mine from a local dealer, who happened to one of the dealers that was picked to demo one of the first ones. I think they will gain popularity soon, however because of the price and the value for that price.
They are running an ad in the Arborist news, however and if I were you I would search that venue for an internet dealer. Good luck.

Again, however...it is only my experience that these saws have played out well for me. Someone else might not have near as good of luck as myself. I am sure, (as attested here and reiterrated several times) others have had great luck with their stihls, I personally won't own one.

Thanks oldugly, may only be a local promotion. There are no ads online unfortunately. The 2135T has been around a short while as they have just upgraded the specs to 39cc in line with the 338XPT. I have my eye on a 'cali' model but agree with you that the Jonsered is definately better value for money and is a reputable brand with great ergonomics. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back