Wanted; a few pieces of black walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. Do you know what you're going to make with it?
I milled them 2-1/2" thick, thinking maybe I could get a gun stock or two...

I could probably get a couple fairly "plain" blanks out, but I'm not sure what I will end up making out of them, as I no longer make gun stocks...

SR

Does anyone have a few chunks of black walnut in the Cooperstown, NY area? I'd love to have some for bowl turning.
Do you have any issues when turning walnut, such as the dust creating sinus problems? A respirator is almost required for me to mill walnut, no issues with any other trees.
If you happen to be ridin around in Arkansas with a gooseneck and your chains and binders, stop by and we'll load you up with a few trees. (Enough to make the DOT check the load rating on your equipment!)What's a bowl worth? How many do you reckon you could get out of a 20" tree? What kind of lathe do you turn them on ?

Do you have any issues when turning walnut, such as the dust creating sinus problems? A respirator is almost required for me to mill walnut, no issues with any other trees.
If you happen to be ridin around in Arkansas with a gooseneck and your chains and binders, stop by and we'll load you up with a few trees. (Enough to make the DOT check the load rating on your equipment!)What's a bowl worth? How many do you reckon you could get out of a 20" tree? What kind of lathe do you turn them on ?

No, the dust does not bother me. The only Sawdust that ever bothered me was redwood. I doubt I'll ever be in Arkansas, but thanks for the offer. I give the bowls to the community center auction, to raise money for the kid's programs. I'm told they sometimes get close to a hundred bucks for a bowl. I have an American lathe, probably from the twenties. I refurbished it, and love it. On the inboard side , I can turn about an 11" bowl.

nice mantel.
You guys are killing me with your pictures of walnut firewood piles. Have you no mercy? It's a good think I'm not in the desert dying of heat stroke, cause you guys would be sending me pictures of your swimming pools and water park vacations.
sorry Frank. more walnut FIREWOOD. if your every coming south into PA let me know always have some walnut laying around.
20180312_101823.jpg

I've found a use for my walnut. I was trying to be funny.. Unsuccessfully apparently. Cheers. KView attachment 639795
Very nice! I understood the humor, apparently it was mine that was hard to decipher.
And I also confused who I thought I was talking to. I thought you were the OP, is the reason I asked you to see your bowls and lathe. You should have posted a pic of your cereal bowl from this morning, to teach me to pay attention to who I'm talking to....:oops: :dumb:

Very nice! I understood the humor, apparently it was mine that was hard to decipher.
And I also confused who I thought I was talking to. I thought you were the OP, is the reason I asked you to see your bowls and lathe. You should have posted a pic of your cereal bowl from this morning, to teach me to pay attention to who I'm talking to....:oops: :dumb:
Now THAT'S funny.

I better stop talking about giving mine away and find a mill that'll pay like that...
These logs appeared to average about 15 feet in length. A couple shorter logs are hidden from view. There are also a few local mills that claim they can match that price, just over $2 per bd ft.

Most loggers here cut 9' logs for pallets unless they are requested to deliver longer logs. Most pallet logs are cottonwood or poplar. The mill pays a premium for walnut, oak, hard maple, cherry, yellow birch, etc. Not sure what they do with that furniture wood, but local hardwood suppliers of walnut for woodworkers ask no less than $5/bd ft and often get $8/bd ft depending on thickness and figuring.

Target for my throwing ax.
Ejbz1ic.jpg

Quit hittin the fence :innocent:
You noticed the holes? At least it hit on the blade. Don't tell my wife, she hasn't seen them yet. I had half a panel sitting around in case I every needed a board. Last year she told me to get rid of it, it was an eye sore, so I threw it on the burn pile. Now I'll have to go buy some patch boards that look brand new instead of the weathered ones.

Latest posts

Back