Wanted - stump grinder 25hp-60hp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAASTUMPSERVICE

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking for anything at this point...Vermeer sc252 - Carlton sp7015 or anything in between. That is a wide range of grinders to be looking at but i have looked and cannot find anything up here in the north west!? I would like to find somethin under 10k but if i found the right machine maybe 15k. Any help would be appreciated.

I found a Carlton 4400 w/ trailer for $12,900 but its in Fl. I will travel for the right machine but Fl is a tad far for me! If anyone has an old machine or thinking about selling please let me know.

I know i know there is a classifieds section on here but i found nothin close by or worth driving to the east coast for....thanks for lookin!

Increasing your net fu skills will help you find what you're looking for....

You can search all of craigslist at once by searching google with ( site:craigslist.org "stump grinder" ). You'll probably find a half dozen machines to call about today. And sellers love a guy who's in a hurry to buy something/anything.

We have 4400-4 with wired remote for sale. Less than 400 hours. Good condition. 12.500.00. Diesel 44 HP.

Can you send me some more info on the 4400? Any pictures? Problems? What would you imagine the shipping would be on something like that all the was to Wa? HaHa probably $1500.00 i would imagine?

I am looking for anything at this point...Vermeer sc252 - Carlton sp7015 or anything in between. That is a wide range of grinders to be looking at but i have looked and cannot find anything up here in the north west!? I would like to find somethin under 10k but if i found the right machine maybe 15k. Any help would be appreciated.

I found a Carlton 4400 w/ trailer for $12,900 but its in Fl. I will travel for the right machine but Fl is a tad far for me! If anyone has an old machine or thinking about selling please let me know.

I know i know there is a classifieds section on here but i found nothin close by or worth driving to the east coast for....thanks for lookin!

Bro, you need to get your ____ together man! A week ago you were doing all your stumps with a magnum, and asking us how to bid. 2 days ago, you were asking where to buy teeth and disks so you can wrench on rental units so you "don't have to use the dull rental teeth". Now you want a machine ranging from 25-60HP, WHICH will get you an enormous spectrum of machinery that fits into your range. You might as well say, "I need a stump grinder". Not to be harsh, but at some point you need to make some decisions based on what you want, and actually need, and NOT on what we tell you to get. You're gonna have to start paying commission LOL..

Bro, you need to get your ____ together man! A week ago you were doing all your stumps with a magnum, and asking us how to bid. 2 days ago, you were asking where to buy teeth and disks so you can wrench on rental units so you "don't have to use the dull rental teeth". Now you want a machine ranging from 25-60HP, WHICH will get you an enormous spectrum of machinery that fits into your range. You might as well say, "I need a stump grinder". Not to be harsh, but at some point you need to make some decisions based on what you want, and actually need, and NOT on what we tell you to get. You're gonna have to start paying commission LOL..

I thaught this was a site i could join and talk to guys that knew the biz and could help me along the way while i get started, i guess this is just another site for some people to mouth off and feel cool behind a keyboard? Well thanks to the people out there that have really given me a lot of advice, it really has helped! It's not easy starting a new business, i dont have all the answers thats why i am on here asking for help/advice. Definitely doesn't help or do anyone any good talking #### to anyone...what is the point???

After starting my business and buying a machine that i come to find out i'm not totally happy with i have figured out my mistakes and trying to get it all worked out quickly so i can start making some real money...i'm sure everyone has had a few hicups starting there biz from scratch...i'll try and get my ____ together just for you ducaticorse HaHa!!!

BTW...ducaticorse, The only way to look for grinders in my area is looking for a wide range of machines, there just isn't any for sale unless you buy brand new or look 1000's of miles away. Was just trying to get a feel for what is out there and how far.

I'm sure i'll here back from you and some more very important words of wisdom, ttys ;)

I thaught this was a site i could join and talk to guys that knew the biz and could help me along the way while i get started, i guess this is just another site for some people to mouth off and feel cool behind a keyboard? Well thanks to the people out there that have really given me a lot of advice, it really has helped! It's not easy starting a new business, i dont have all the answers thats why i am on here asking for help/advice. Definitely doesn't help or do anyone any good talking #### to anyone...what is the point???

After starting my business and buying a machine that i come to find out i'm not totally happy with i have figured out my mistakes and trying to get it all worked out quickly so i can start making some real money...i'm sure everyone has had a few hicups starting there biz from scratch...i'll try and get my ____ together just for you ducaticorse HaHa!!!

BTW...ducaticorse, The only way to look for grinders in my area is looking for a wide range of machines, there just isn't any for sale unless you buy brand new or look 1000's of miles away. Was just trying to get a feel for what is out there and how far.

I'm sure i'll here back from you and some more very important words of wisdom, ttys ;)

AAA stow the drama.

You have asked questions here that pretty much tell me that you have NO clue as to what you are doing whatsoever.

I am not hiding behind anything, simply making an observation, and offering you some advice. If you don't like the advice from me, too bad. This is after all, a public forum.

Now, I reiterate, that you need to do some hard fact finding research on this biz before getting buried in an expensive machine, and a business that you apparently know nothing about.

I doubt not one person will argue with me that your question regarding "what 25-60hp stump grinder do I need" is as ridiculous as if I asked, "what 65hp-200hp chipper do I need." (And don't even get me started on your renting a grinder then putting your own teeth on it idea....)
That's a novice question, and if you don't want to be treated like a little girl because you ask questions like that, than go to the 101 section.

AAA stow the drama.

You have asked questions here that pretty much tell me that you have NO clue as to what you are doing whatsoever.

I am not hiding behind anything, simply making an observation, and offering you some advice. If you don't like the advice from me, too bad. This is after all, a public forum.

Now, I reiterate, that you need to do some hard fact finding research on this biz before getting buried in an expensive machine, and a business that you apparently know nothing about.

I doubt not one person will argue with me that your question regarding "what 25-60hp stump grinder do I need" is as ridiculous as if I asked, "what 65hp-200hp chipper" do I need. (And don't even get me started on your renting a grinder than putting your own teeth on it idea....)
That's a novice question, and if you don't want to be treated like a little girl because you ask questions like that, than go to the 101 section.

More amazing advice? Well back to work for me, have a good time playing on the comp...while my inexperienced ass goes out and makes some more money. I don't know everything but i'm making it work and paying the bills...

More amazing advice? Well back to work for me, have a good time playing on the comp...while my inexperienced ass goes out and makes some more money. I don't know everything but i'm making it work and paying the bills...

There ya go! Practical experience makes perfect. You'll figure out what works for best over time, and make proper decisions based on what you know, and not the opinions of others. This here, after all, is just a bunch of people on computers right AAA? What the heck do we know?

And PS, when you do eventually narrow your grinder choice down, try uship.com. You will be able to easily factor in shipping using that service. Big help...

Last edited:
Started my biz three years ago and now have gone through 3 grinders. Strarted withe a 13 hp and then a 25hp and now finally have what I should have bought first a 60hp. Just keep looking and get the big one and be done, it is the only way to make good money without killing yourself. The 25hp would take 1 hour to do a 20 inch stump and now it takes about 5 min to do it.

Do not buy a grinder with under 50hp. Don't give up. You will figure things out as u go. Unfortunately there is no magic bullet for starting a business. Patience perseverence and persperation. And did I mention if u are going to do stumps.......don't buy a grinder with under 50hp

Just remember to factor in your own terrain and climate. Here in NW we're soggy for six months, so remember the 50+ hp machines weigh 3500 lbs or more, while the smaller weigh under 1400. Could spend alot of time in winter/spring spreading plywood to get to that 20" stump and five minute grind.

Also, our terrain is not flat at all, and people tend to plant up their flower beds with lots of plants to maneuver through to access many stumps. The larger machines are over 10' long too which affects maneuverability alot.

Would be ideal to have the Magnum, a 252 or similar, and a 60 hp machine for the accessible stuff.

Go to Vermeer in Seattle and Bandit in Tacoma and pony up the rental for a day and see which type of machines are right for you. It ain't cheap but could prevent you from spending lots of money on what won't work for your situation. In Portland, Vermeer wants $800 to rent an SC60TX for the day. You can rent a 252 at Power Rents or Sunbelt for $160/day. You've already got the Magnum.

As others have said, don't bury yourself with payments you can't afford, or perhaps you've got the cash now to get whatever you want. We had a guy down here open up a stump business, bought seven roll-off trucks, all SC60TX's, 252's, had a crew or two in Seattle area, and was out of business in less than three years, everything went back to the bank. It's not the kind of business you can jump into and get big right away, if ever.

Stumper63

aaa....check with the banks in some of the bigger city's in your area....If there is a bandit or vermeer around there you might find some repo's...see if you can work a good deal with them on something...my banker knows exactly what I am looking for at any given time....also, see if those dealers up there have some demo's you could save some money there and get a solid machine....I had some bad luck early on in my biz with some used equipment...I agree with others....get a tracked 60 hp...very productive machines. cash is king when trying to get what you want at the price you want. good luck.

Ask yourself this...."do I have so many stumps to grind or can I truely expect to have so many stumps that I cant spend an hour or MORE on one stump?" This coming from someone who has a 23hp grinder and wishes he had a 60hp one! I tend to have guys on the clock and I have to be creative at times to make that little stumper work. It works out for now. I have a buddy with a 7015 that I have been having do my bigger stumps..5 min stumper! I paid 5k for little carlton....without know FORSURE just how many stumps i was gonna b grinding. Just somethin to think about.....U can always get a bigger one if u have enough stumps to grind...No sense in grinding a stump in 5 minutes just to go home after that. IMO

I am in the exact situation as treeAce after almost 20 years in the business, and still using a vermeer 252 I know sounds crazy. I finally decided to hire someone to work for me. Tree Ace is right if you only have a few jobs here and there why buy a very expensive machine, like a 7015. If you have alot of work a 7015 might be the way to go. This is were I am at in my business. Like TreeAce I unfortunatly have to use a friend of mine who owns a vermeer 752 tow behind to do almost all of my big stuff. This sucks at the end of the day, Iam getting tired of this ####. Maybe you should just get the big machine now if you can. It seems harder and harder to get it later. The machines are getting more and more expensive. Its like a boat you wish you got something bigger. If you got the money go bigger keep something smaller around for the little stuff. Dam most days I wish I had a bigger machine

Last edited:
I am in the exact situation as treeAce after almost 20 years in the business, and still using a vermeer 252 I know sounds crazy. I finally decided to hire someone to work for me. Tree Ace is right if you only have a few jobs here and there why buy a very expensive machine, like a 7015. If you have alot of work a 7015 might be the way to go. This is were I am at in my business. Like TreeAce I unfortunatly have to use a friend of mine who owns a vermeer 752 tow behind to do almost all of my big stuff. This sucks at the end of the day. Maybe you should just get the big machine now if you can. It seems harder and harder to get it later. The machines are getting more and more expensive. Its like a boat you wish you got something bigger. If you got the money go bigger keep something smaller around for the little stuff. Dam most days I wish I had a bigger machine

A Dosko is good to have.
Jeff

Back