Waste motor oil as bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For over 23 years for American Home products my job was making Prep H.

I weighed the ingredients that went into each batch, and among them was phenylmercuric nitrate which acted as the anti-fungal agent for the product. I did this for thousands of batches of Prep H without a dust mask or vacuum hood, as none was provided by the company at the time.

My thyroid is shot along with my adrenal glands. The clock is ticking. Chain oil containing carcinogenic components isn't even on the list of my concerns.
Omg joisey, I am sorry to hear that! My wife has adrenal issues and can only imagine what you are experiencing. Take care buddy!

Omg joisey, I am sorry to hear that! My wife has adrenal issues and can only imagine what you are experiencing. Take care buddy!
Bro,

everyone's life's are different.. some pay up front, some pay later on in life... seems i been paying since day one.. **** it learn to laugh at life...flip it the finger, tell it to **** off and look for the silver lining... at least he will never have to worry about itchy bootyhole... thats pretty good in my books. remember the solemn vow...

Well I guess that we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Because I always stand to the side when cutting. No, I don't get all oily, no, I don't smell like oil at the end of the day. No, I don't smell bar oil, unless it's burning from too much heat in a cut. I smell like sweat from the Texas heat, the wood chips, that cover my clothes, the engine exhaust, and usually the smoke from the fire. So I have no idea what you're talking about there. If I used this type of bar oil, then I'd probably have a pretty good reason why. So that's what I'd do. What has happened to the men in this country is pathetic. Imagine arguing on a men's forum, about some imagined amount of toxic vapor? What's next? Fashion tips? I'm done here.
I'll agree that there is plenty wrong in this world when it comes to what masculinity, femininity, and gender is, but it has NOTHING to do with debating misting off of a running chainsaw. Your conflation of the problem with men in this country with a desire to avoid exposure to harmful substances is absurd - I'll leave some other choice adjectives I had in mind out, I'm not trying to offend here.
Whether you smell or otherwise notice exposure to your bar oil during chainsaw use is irrelevant. It happens no matter how you hold your chainsaw to one degree or another. Air environment you're working in comes into play here, mostly wind direction.
Since your such a man, do you soak your hands in used motor oil when you change your oil (do you even change your own oil), do you inhale deeply downwind of the gas nozzle when filling your vehicle, do you drink like a fish, smoke like a chimney? People's ideas of what makes a real man really is seems to be warped on both sides of the isle...

I'll agree that there is plenty wrong in this world when it comes to what masculinity, femininity, and gender is, but it has NOTHING to do with debating misting off of a running chainsaw. Your conflation of the problem with men in this country with a desire to avoid exposure to harmful substances is absurd - I'll leave some other choice adjectives I had in mind out, I'm not trying to offend here.
Whether you smell or otherwise notice exposure to your bar oil during chainsaw use is irrelevant. It happens no matter how you hold your chainsaw to one degree or another. Air environment you're working in comes into play here, mostly wind direction.
Since your such a man, do you soak your hands in used motor oil when you change your oil (do you even change your own oil), do you inhale deeply downwind of the gas nozzle when filling your vehicle, do you drink like a fish, smoke like a chimney? People's ideas of what makes a real man really is seems to be warped on both sides of the isle...
I do not care about your first half of your first paragraph. well what if somebody does? The last two are straight up your desire to control someone. go back to you city and find a sex sub there... the rest of us are not interested. When does it become you right to tell them to stop? think about where you just went? I change my own oil, I get oil on my hands every single time due to piss poor placement of oil filters and drain plugs.... but it saves me money. I then use the oil in a shop heater that i designed to burn the waste oil. is it your business to stop me? basically mind your own business Karen.

There you go a little bit of Humor... nothing wrong with that. Life sucks...none of us will make it out of it alive.

Bro,

everyone's life's are different.. some pay up front, some pay later on in life... seems i been paying since day one.. **** it learn to laugh at life...flip it the finger, tell it to **** off and look for the silver lining... at least he will never have to worry about itchy bootyhole... thats pretty good in my books. remember the solemn vow...

Bro,

what happened to me was not through my ignorance or carelessness, it came about through negligence of my employer

Bro,

What happened to me was not through negligence on my part, it came about from me performing my job within the guidelines set forth by my employer, working 40 hours per week to support my family. I took responsibility for performing my job. My employer took none in me becoming ill while doing so. There is a special place in hell for people like that. Paying up front or later in life means nothing to me, as I am paying a debt I own no one.

What happened to me was not through negligence on my part, it came about from me performing my job withing the guidelines set forth by my employer, working 40 hours per week to support my family. I took responsibility for performing my job. My employer took none in me becoming ill while doing so. There is a special place in hell for people like that. Paying up front or later in life means nothing to me, as I am paying a debt I own no one.
not trying to minimize your condiiton Josey...just a little dark humor on my part. honestly take care.

I do not care about your first half of your first paragraph. well what if somebody does? The last two are straight up your desire to control someone. go back to you city and find a sex sub there... the rest of us are not interested. When does it become you right to tell them to stop? think about where you just went? I change my own oil, I get oil on my hands every single time due to piss poor placement of oil filters and drain plugs.... but it saves me money. I then use the oil in a shop heater that i designed to burn the waste oil. is it your business to stop me? basically mind your own business Karen.
You clearly didn't comprehend what I said. I'll say up front that you responding the way you did shows you to be challenged and/or projecting your own issues onto me. You make absolutely no sense at all. Sex sub? Trying to control others? Trying to stop you from changing your own oil? I'm a "Karen"? lol
I have my perspective on how messed up our society is when it comes to the notion of gender, masculinity, femininity, etc., which I hinted at in response to the other guy who apparently thinks being masculine means you expose yourself to harmful substances without concern. That's really besides the point. Go back and re-read what I posted within the context of the original post. If you're still confused I'll be happy to clarify for you.

A significant amount of bar oil is aerosolized by the 60mph chain, and the operator winds up breathing it. That's the end of the discussion for me. No used engine oil in any saw I'm running.
?? I don’t know if I could buy into this I run leftover motor oil all the time for bar oil, it slings and creates a tiny amount of mist. I try to keep the bar out of my breathing zone…that’s it. I’d never run used oil. I fight clogging enough with leftover new oil, waste oils just going to clot up and continuously burn up bars and chains and put wear on pumps. Safety also could be a risk if you’re smoking bar all the time because of trash oil. It doesn’t take much of that to throw chain.

So at the risk of starting a war…

And just for fun....

I can buy an OEM replacement bar for between $25 and $30 and often much cheaper on Facebook Marketplace. That bar would guide an 18 inch 62 drive link low profile 3/8 inch chain. This would fit about every Poulan and some of the Echos (my400) and goodness knows what else and cut bunches of firewood. These saws use a ton of oil pumping it out all over the place and leaking when not in use. BTW, If I buy an imported bar from Walmart, I’m at roughly $13.

A gallon of bar oil is somewhere between $10 and $15 depending upon what you get.

So for the cost of 1 to 2 gallons of bar oil, you can replace a bar.

I’ve read in about a dozen places how horrible it is to use free waste motor oil as bar oil. The idea being it’s not as sticky and therefore doesn’t lubricate as well. Ok I get th argument. Probably makes sense for pro saws with expensive bars.

Can someone convince me that it’s so much worse to use free waste oil that doing so would trash the bar before I hit the economic break even point?

When the consumable guide bar and a gallon of consumable bar oil cost so close to the same amount, everything’s disposable/consumable. Not that the Poulan isn’t also disposable, but what about the oil delivery system can possibly be harmed by motor oil? Can’t think of any issues there.
Short answer: NO. Unless you don't give a $h.t about your chainsaw. Or maybe it's not even your own chainsaw 😁

Byproducts of oil means EVERYTHING. Smoked turkey legs, shoe laces, fishing hooks…. Nothing gets produced, shipped, sold without requiring energy.
Well ,yeah, those things I was talking about! And with no new investments in oil or gas for the future, inevitably energy and all oil dependent products WILL become expensive and stay that way! And I tend to agree since so many want "green energy"! I can only conclude : "ENJOY!"

Latest posts

Back