Waste motor oil as bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to guess. You can look up the MSDS for bar oil.
Regardless bar oil is much less toxic than drain oil contaminated with heavy metals and PAC's.
Keep in mind that you are breathing aerosolised bar oil when you run a saw. Less with tacky bar oil and more.with thinner fluids like waste oil.
Why don't you look up the MSDS and quote it for us? There are plenty of things that are non toxic that contain asbestos like toothpaste and baby powder.

During and after World War I, Italian fascists forced war prisoners and the population of the occupied territories to drink a mixture of waste motor oil and gasoline. Many died from poisoning.

Regardless bar oil is much less toxic than drain oil contaminated with heavy metals and PAC's.
Keep in mind that you are breathing aerosolised bar oil when you run a saw. Less with tacky bar oil and more.with thinner fluids like waste oil.

Yep and not to mention, if we’re talking firewood production, every cut will leave some small amount of waste oil residue on the stick to transfer to your hands every time handle it. Split, stack and finally into the stove… this transfer will not just stick to you but your wife and kids if they help…. Think about it….

Yep and not to mention, if we’re talking firewood production, every cut will leave some small amount of waste oil residue on the stick to transfer to your hands every time handle it. Split, stack and finally into the stove… this transfer will not just stick to you but your wife and kids if they help…. Think about it….
Bar oil is mineral oil. Mineral oil is derived from crude oil aka dinosaur juice. My grandfather opened his business in 1952 while leaded gas was in use and continues to work every day in the same shop to this day.
For those concerned about the use of bar oil you should consider wearing a respirator while running the saw, a hazmat suit when you are around one and make sure you are not near an airport because they burn leaded gas in airplanes. 20 years ago there were only 3 dairies in California that did not contain traces of jet fuel in the milk.

What is this aerosolated bar oil talk? Sounds hilarious.

I'm going back to the forestry & logging forum. You girls be careful with that deadly deadly oil. Seriously, I've not witnessed this level of fear from men who like chainsaws ever before. "THE BAR OIL IS GETTING ON MEEEEEE!!!! I INHALED 3CCs OF ICKY BAR OIL OVER THE SPAN OF 25 YEARS NOOOOOOOO!" It would be profoundly satisfying to hear that any of you smoke cigarettes, or drink alcohol....

It's called reality...
Is it reality when you're sunken up to the spike? What about when it's windy?
Any studies you can link?
I mean, I never enjoyed getting drenched in dirty hydraulic oil from changing hoses first thing in the morning, but I didn't lose sleep over the possible carcinogenic effects either.
I would think these alleged .05-.200 micron oil balls just don't have the volume to get the job done.
You ever see a pumping unit kick right after a nap? Blows the lids off of the tank battery with enough aerosolized sweet crude to probably do something. Yet the only thing anyone worries about are BS emulsifiers. With good reason, the amount of oil patch chemical guys who die of cancer is scary.
Perhaps we're overblowing this a little bit?
Woking probably puts more oil in your lungs than a chainsaw. The Chinese seem to get by, though

Wonder what OSHA, NIOSH, etc. considers the dangerous exposure level of "aerosolized" used bar oil?
What about the dosage of touching a bit of firewood after soaking one drop of oil into it at each end? Even with sweaty bare hands, how much is absorbed?
Cutting outdoors, how much is inhaled?

What is that risk, compared to other risks such as driving your truck to the location?

I wonder if the worry of the risk causes more risk due to increased blood pressure or increased cortisol in the blood than the risk itself?

What about the risk of anger over a chainsaw forum discussing bar oil! Ha Ha!

Is any used bar oil risk really reduced significantly, statistically, by the use of a different oil?

I went to the shop this am - 25 degrees out.
I put fresh bar oil on my bare fingers and rubbed the fingers together.
Then used 15-W40.
Both felt quite slippery and quite thick and tacky.
I think my saw will be O.K.
And for the amount of sawing I do, I think I will be also.

If I wrenched on saws and tractors for a living, I'd probably wear gloves.
If I cut with a saw daily, I'd probably use the right oils.
As it is now, I am happy to take the risks.

Dumb farmers.

For the red brick sawyers out there, this is an old statistic but 1L of used motor oil is supposed to contaminate 13000L of ground water.

Wonder what OSHA, NIOSH, etc. considers the dangerous exposure level of "aerosolized" used bar oil?
What about the dosage of touching a bit of firewood after soaking one drop of oil into it at each end? Even with sweaty bare hands, how much is absorbed?
Cutting outdoors, how much is inhaled?

What is that risk, compared to other risks such as driving your truck to the location?

I wonder if the worry of the risk causes more risk due to increased blood pressure or increased cortisol in the blood than the risk itself?

What about the risk of anger over a chainsaw forum discussing bar oil! Ha Ha!

Is any used bar oil risk really reduced significantly, statistically, by the use of a different oil?

I went to the shop this am - 25 degrees out.
I put fresh bar oil on my bare fingers and rubbed the fingers together.
Then used 15-W40.
Both felt quite slippery and quite thick and tacky.
I think my saw will be O.K.
And for the amount of sawing I do, I think I will be also.

If I wrenched on saws and tractors for a living, I'd probably wear gloves.
If I cut with a saw daily, I'd probably use the right oils.
As it is now, I am happy to take the risks.

Dumb farmers.
5 mg / m3 TWA . / OSHA.

love how this whole thing started as your bar and chains will last longer and over 20 + pages it has morphed into "well you will die of cancer if you don't"
there are a few to many people who simply want to control others, and when their first argument fell on deaf ears, or resistive minds I love how all of them pivot to well its cancerous and and and sniff, sniff... you might DIE!

we are all going to die from cancer....our bodies were not designed to last much more than 50-60 years. thats why so many cancers pop up on otherwise healthy people at 50 or 60 ...

love how this whole thing started as your bar and chains will last longer and over 20 + pages it has morphed into "well you will die of cancer if you don't"
there are a few to many people who simply want to control others, and when their first argument fell on deaf ears, or resistive minds I love how all of them pivot to well its cancerous and and and sniff, sniff... you might DIE!

we are all going to die from cancer....our bodies were not designed to last much more than 50-60 years. thats why so many cancers pop up on otherwise healthy people at 50 or 60 ...
You may die from cancer, but why add to the chances of it needlessly? For whatever it is or isn't worth I'm a career heavy duty diesel mechanic. In the past 20 years Osha, msha and a host of other agencies have done plenty of studies on the prolonged exposure to lubricating oils and fuels. It's not hype it's facts. Same reason businesses are switching away from solvent tanks to water based cleaners, even then the waste water is considered a hazardous material. Guess we're all wrong for trying to make it to 80 instead of 65...

Latest posts

Back