Waste motor oil as bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feel better?
I'am absolutely fine Nate , you asked what OHSA . would indicate as a threshold for permissible mineral oil concentrations . I provided it . However used crankcase oil is another matter . The concentrations of hazardous chemicals & agents are four to five times that of clean unused mineral oil that your permissible limits indicate . There are as much as 140 potential poly aromatic hydro carbons within used motor oils . Even more if leaded gas is utilized within the doaner engines that your oil is collected from . I find it rediculas that people will expose themselves to such potential health hazards to save $7-$10 bucks for a gallon of proper bar oil , that is more effective within bar & chain protection & also provides better operator & environment protection . Its your choice brother !

I enjoy supporting my local independent dealers, so bar oil and mix is a good add on for them. I'm a half mile from Blains where I could buy Husqvarna and Echo oil and mix but I figure a nice road trip is more fun.
In the last year I bought 16 used saws. Only one of those had motor oil in it and what a stench, ugh. I couldn't get it clean soon enough.

@North by Northwest

Thank you, sir.

Appreciate the info. When you sent it I was not familiar with the "weighted average" stuff. Looked into that a bit more.
Your more than welcome Nate , I realize in the big scheme of things oil & mist & vapours seem like small potatoes . However as Ben & Sean previously mentioned , why push the envelope to save a few cents , when proper bar oils are readily available . :drinkingcoffee:

Did it occur to you I might already know the answer, genius?
Did it also occur to you that exposing your self to one harmful thing is better than exposing yourself to two? Especially when you have a choice with one of them.

Did it occur to you that I'm just trolling you with your own comment and hypocrisy for fun? Also a choice not to run a gas saw and not expose yourself to the exhaust fumes, but keep on with that myopic ranting and ignore that choice.
Genius. 🤣

For those considering using used motor oil to lub your chains, I did it for over 25 years and never had a problem with the bar or the chains. I used to run two crews for tree work and used this oil in 17 chainsaws without one problem. Just so you know. And as far as I know, none of us died from cancer.
I actually mix motor oil with bar oil for my Craftsman 42cc, both of my PP4620's so they oil better. Yeah, I have put new pumps and assemblies, and even played with the aluminum plate for the last two decades, the best solution for a picky oiler and bar setup is motor oil, or mix them like I do. I know my Poulan 3400 with a 26 inch bar enjoys that thinner mix.

Did it occur to you that I'm just trolling you with your own comment and hypocrisy for fun? Also a choice not to run a gas saw and not expose yourself to the exhaust fumes, but keep on with that myopic ranting and ignore that choice.
Genius. 🤣
Yes it occurred to me that you are a troll and if trolls don't have something positive to say they should not say anything at all.

Genius. 🤣
When a battery saw can replace a 60cc saw and run all day on a handful of batteries, no one will be worried about exhaust fumes.

I actually mix motor oil with bar oil for my Craftsman 42cc, both of my PP4620's so they oil better. Yeah, I have put new pumps and assemblies, and even played with the aluminum plate for the last two decades, the best solution for a picky oiler and bar setup is motor oil, or mix them like I do. I know my Poulan 3400 with a 26 inch bar enjoys that thinner mix.
Mixing fresh motor oil with a recognized bar oil is not entirely a bad idea . Especially if you are trying to increase the volume factor (lite viscocity) during colder climates . The real concern was used motor oil usage instead of b & c oil .

When a battery saw can replace a 60cc saw and run all day on a handful of batteries, no one will be worried about exhaust fumes.

Oh I agree, I'm all for gas saws, love mine (while also conceding that battery saws have their place). I was just calling out his failed argument.

My 2 cents, I won't run it. Makes a bloody mess for one, doesn't do a lot to protect the bar imo. My old man runs umo nearly exclusively and goes through bars like most through socks. He doesn't cut much wood any more so it always amazes me that he's got a new bar on every other year. Save my 390xp which got its bar bent in a tree all my saws either have original bars or are on their second bars. Normal maintenance and decent oil is what I've accredited to long bar life. Now if your truly getting bars for $20 a pop and you don't mind the black mess all over your saw then I guess I can't see the harm in it.
Huskybill hit it on the head on both the oil account and leaks. Get decent oil in bulk when you can find it cheap, and fix any leaks. (Thanks for the lead on oil Bill!) You do have to realize some of the "leak" is simply oil draining out of the bar and off the case. Nothing you can do about that. But puddles under the saw are unacceptable. Something is amiss and needs fixed. I have noticed that if I crack the oil lid and let the pressure equalize before putting them up I have nearly no puddle under it during storage. Cleaning your saw off after use helps quite a bit ad well.

Hey, thanks for pointing that out for me. You are correct.

I just realized my snark toward you may have been a bit heavy handed, I thought I was replying to bwalker. That's what I get for late night sleep deprived (because, kids) posting. :rolleyes: Adding "angsty replies" to the list of late night things to stay away from, along with Amazon and feebay. And dog food. 😄

I just realized my snark toward you may have been a bit heavy handed, I thought I was replying to bwalker. That's what I get for late night sleep deprived (because, kids) posting. :rolleyes: Adding "angsty replies" to the list of late night things to stay away from, along with Amazon and feebay. And dog food. 😄
I sent a couple of stupid posts myself so I should admit it and move on and try harder to be helpful. I'm a little pissy with 5 fractured meta-tarsils and can't get around to find my tools.

Attachments

• IMG_20221027_173253.jpg
    IMG_20221027_173253.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Those concerned about mists should bury the bar in wood like big boys instead of revving the saw and yelling "over here look at me."
The oil that comes off the bar is irrelevant compared to the emissions from the exhaust. Thoise concerned should wear gloves and respirators.

THIS!!
Sure the chain spends time spinning when mostly out of wood. Cutting limbs & cleaning up faces for instance. However the majority of the time it's not.. I would assume that any sawdust created catches a lot of such oil.
Not worried about it either way. The last time I ran used oil was years ago. Wasn't my saw, or my oil. The boss man makes the rules....
That former employer is now in his 80s with no signs of cancer.. No doubt that he has ingested many oils in many forms many times over many years...
Every time I visit this thread I think of the oil field. Lease operators get all kinds of exposure every day. They don't all succumb to cancer, either. At least not in the fields of sweet high gravity crude. That heavy sour crude is different, hydrogen sulfide!! Although I think that's a quicker demise..

Back