Weak 345 clutch springs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiOilBoiler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a Husky 345 here at the moment that wont disengage the clutch at idle. The saw will idle with the chainbrake on, but there is definite drag there. I stripped and carefully lubed bearing, checked that the drive lugs were seated in the oil pump drive correctly and checked for broken clutch springs. Same result, chain runs at idle right up to the point where the saw will not tolerate any lower idle setting and stalls.

I removed the clutch springs, which were still in one piece each, and removed the clutch shoes, re-assembled and hey presto, no drag.

Are the springs so weak that any rpm is throwing the clutch shoes out into the drum and creating drive?, 'cause that's what im thinking at the moment (but I constantly amaze myself by missing the obvious....).

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers, Adam.

Yes that is very likely. I have had to replace several sets of clutch springs for that reason.
One thing I look for is if the spring "hook" is showing signs of wear also. But I am thinking yours has the 2 metal band style springs.

Back