Weather predictions for Tree Work.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumberjackRugby

Reaction score
When setting up scheduling for tree work, what is the best method of predicting the weather in this weather sensitive job? Compare multiply weather sites, gamble on weather, etc.?

When setting up scheduling for tree work, what is the best method of predicting the weather in this weather sensitive job? Compare multiply weather sites, gamble on weather, etc.?

Depends on where you live. Seattle? Plan on rain,, Arizona?,,plan on not much rain...
Here in 2013, we also have weather report's and even doppler.
I quess if that does not help,, you should go to school and become a weatherman.
Jeff :msp_wink:

Today:
Earlier in the week said 49 and sunny.
Yesterday morning said 30% chance of rain starting at 3
Last night said 60% chance of wintery mix starting at 1
We went anyhow (50 mile drive)

Actual: light rain started at 5:00. Perfect day (could have been 10 degrees warmer and a tad less windy, but I'm not going to complain about that!)

I quess if that does not help,, you should go to school and become a weatherman.
Jeff :msp_wink:

That won't help, I watch the weather channel every day, and the only time they get it right is when the weather stays the same for more than 2 weeks, like it does in Cali.

A combination, check out the radar, and local weather websites AND develop a sense for the intrinsic weather patterns in your area.
Learn a bit about clouds and what the patterns mean, prevailing wind directions, cold, dry, wet...what's the difference between a cold and warm front, what happens when a low and a high pressure meet, learn to read isobars...S*&T forgot I'm only a tree surgeon.

As a building contractor, I too have to deal with this regularly.

Here is what I've learned over the years:

(From the Free Online Dictionary, please note the highlighted words and their meaning)

fore·cast (fôrkst, fr-)
v. fore·cast or fore·cast·ed, fore·cast·ing, fore·casts
v.tr.
1. To estimate or calculate in advance. See Synonyms at predict.
2. To serve as an advance indication of; foreshadow: price increases that forecast inflation.
v.intr.
To calculate or estimate something in advance; predict the future.
n.
A prediction, as of coming events or conditions.

It's never going to be correct. Plan accordingly. :rock:

Weather here is non predictable. I have weather on my phone but is rarely right. Last friday eight inches snow sat 50 sunny snow mon rain tues. 12 friday morning. Tis the season.

Weather here is non predictable. I have weather on my phone but is rarely right. Last friday eight inches snow sat 50 sunny snow mon rain tues. 12 friday morning. Tis the season.

The weather men/women are morons , they are eye candy not to be listened to , I go with the old saying lets work til we have to leave , or bag it first thing in the morning , the circle drawn in the sand trick is nice as well !

Anyway around here the weather just scares all the old ladies into buying all the bread and milk , and/or canceling there hair appointment .

Latest posts

Back