Wedge tip for bore cutting backleaners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7MM Rem Mag, .338 Mag ,.444 ,45-70 ,.35 Whalen ..... Bear stopper!

Speaking of Bears on a chainsaw site.

I know 2 fallers out of Woss Lake (Vancouver Island) In the early 80's . That were falling a strip of Oldgrowth and came across a bear Den in the base of the cedar . Ralph then called in the Bull-Bucker told him what he had.. the bull-bucker came down to have a look . Sure Enuf there was a young bear inside . Bull Buck told ralph to Bore in the backside of the tree into the den and He would Kill it with his AXE as the bear came out . Ralph though WTF this guys Crazy , but he did as he was told ...As the bear Poked his head out , Bull back wound up 1 HIT with a 5 PND axe and Ralph said sure as #### DROPPED THE YOUNG BEAR IN HIS TRACKS. The Bull bucker just couldent resist a Nice spring bear rug.:jawdrop: HARD TO IMAGINE I KNOW , THIS IS NO BULL #### ... And here is the Kicker the Bull Bucker Told Ralph this was not the first time he had done this..

WHO NEEDS A GUN , WHEN YA GOT A AXE.:greenchainsaw:

My dads step father told a similar story. He was an old hand faller. When the first power saws came out he was falling a big cedar on North River in WA. He said he noticed the chain was grabbing a little putting in the undercut. When he knocked the undercut out a bear stuck its head out and he killed it with his axe. Mouth was all cut up from biting at the chain/

Use what ya got to the best of it,s ability ,,, No Doubt !!!! But a stainless Ruger 338 bolt rifle can be got on Gunbroker.com pretty cheap .. AND it will out last most things ..!!!!!! And prolly never let you down ....
. But . as long as bears are dyin to the 308 ,,,
. Just , Kill dem bears ...!!!

A stainless 338 would be nice but I have a few other things to get first! :cheers:

The black bears in the State Of Jefferson, Klamath River country, are bigger than the average black bear. I kept a box of bear load buckshot handy for my 12 gauge as I lived in a house that had been broken into in the past.

My golden retriever became the bear dog. She was extremely fast and the bears were afraid of dogs. She chased one away that I was unaware of and heading towards.

The neighborhood garbage dumpster was in a chainlink area. There was plywood on the bottom, and an electric wire on top. Unfortunately, the people from the general area were allowed to use it and did not shut the gate. The bears got in then.

After we moved away, a bear tore up my neighbor's hot tub cover.

The scalers had a shack to keep their paper work in and there was one window in it. A brown bear started coming through about once a week regular. Every time, it would go to the shack and break out the window. Replace the window, next time through the bear would break it. Finally got tired of that so they put a new window in to seal up the shack and nailed a piece of plywood over the window so the bear wouldn't bust it.
Next time through the bear goes to the shack, tears off the door, goes in and busts the window and leaves. Must have just liked the sound of breaking glass.

:cheers::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::help:
. you can buy windows ect , or buy ammo ......... I prefer the ammo .!!.

7MM Rem Mag, .338 Mag ,.444 ,45-70 ,.35 Whalen ..... Bear stopper!

Speaking of Bears on a chainsaw site.

I know 2 fallers out of Woss Lake (Vancouver Island) In the early 80's . That were falling a strip of Oldgrowth and came across a bear Den in the base of the cedar . Ralph then called in the Bull-Bucker told him what he had.. the bull-bucker came down to have a look . Sure Enuf there was a young bear inside . Bull Buck told ralph to Bore in the backside of the tree into the den and He would Kill it with his AXE as the bear came out . Ralph though WTF this guys Crazy , but he did as he was told ...As the bear Poked his head out , Bull back wound up 1 HIT with a 5 PND axe and Ralph said sure as #### DROPPED THE YOUNG BEAR IN HIS TRACKS. The Bull bucker just couldent resist a Nice spring bear rug.:jawdrop: HARD TO IMAGINE I KNOW , THIS IS NO BULL #### ... And here is the Kicker the Bull Bucker Told Ralph this was not the first time he had done this..

WHO NEEDS A GUN , WHEN YA GOT A AXE.:greenchainsaw:

. Tho kinda rugged , thats a good bull buck ...
.I guess some bears would rather bite a saw than run ..... Would be kinda rude getting woke up by a saw tho ....... It,s a good thing when bears die tho .....
Slowp ... You want to use the buckshot for the 2 legged problems .. use slugs for the 4 legged ... Serious !!!!!! Buckshot is about the worst stuff there is for bears ..... All it creates is a wounded bear , and thats a problem ....... Brenneke slugs are about the best out there .. 1 7/8 oz 2 3/4" or 3" mag . whichever your gun takes ... . If need be shorten , or have the butt stock shortened so the gun fits you like a good glove .....It makes all the difference in the world ..

The black bears in the State Of Jefferson, Klamath River country, are bigger than the average black bear. I kept a box of bear load buckshot handy for my 12 gauge as I lived in a house that had been broken into in the past.

My golden retriever became the bear dog. She was extremely fast and the bears were afraid of dogs. She chased one away that I was unaware of and heading towards.

The neighborhood garbage dumpster was in a chainlink area. There was plywood on the bottom, and an electric wire on top. Unfortunately, the people from the general area were allowed to use it and did not shut the gate. The bears got in then.

After we moved away, a bear tore up my neighbor's hot tub cover.

When I was up nort, we would go down to the dump (oh boy) in the evening with some beer and watch the bears. A really, really big sow blackie and her cubs were the mainstays, with some grizz on the other end of the dump a few nights a week. One night we showed up to watch them terrorize the place and they all three were sitting right at the front gate with no coats. LOL

The next time you see one you better shoot it because if it,s back is 5 plus feet tall , it would square 10 ft plus.. and no doubt have a 26" skull ... . That would be THE WORLD RECORD !!!!!.black bear ..

I don't doubt it was as, I seen the really big ones in the white river national wildlife refuge. It is the Mississippi delta and the bears are protected there. I investigated his tracks both front and back the front track was 8 and a half inch wide the rear was monstrous, best I can put it. These big ole bears live on the refuge and eat soybeans on the farms that border it. The largest black bears in the world I have heard come from this area. I have also seen very large bears in the mountains I hunt here at home. I came to draw on a 400 pound bear only to find out it was a sow and cubs were behind her. I have a friend that killed a 6' 9" inch 603 lb bear about five miles from my sacred hunting grounds trying to get into his house!

PS: the bears in the refuge are south of me here they have the perfect habitat to grow to immense size and add to that they are protected and longer growing seasons and great water quality, superb fertile bottomland. Daniel Boone loved this area of the world as well as Davy Crockett and there is a bluff named for Crockett.

Last edited:
Not sure of the whole tale on these pictures, but some friends in Soldatna AK. sent them.
Fly in fishing trip. Someone left bait in a cooler on the plane. Radio still worked. Another pilot delivered three cases of duck tape, some plastic sheets and two new tires. They flew home.

If you can't duck it, Fly it lol

Back