Wedge tip for bore cutting backleaners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the bears I've seen in Collyfornia are Democrats. They live off the tax payers in parks, go through trash and beg for food. They make alot of noise but don't really accomplish anything.

Most of the bears I've seen in Collyfornia are Democrats. They live off the tax payers in parks, go through trash and beg for food. They make alot of noise but don't really accomplish anything.

There was some people near Crestline got the bright idea of chaining their trash cans to their propane tank to keep the bears from rolling them around.
The bears just rolled the whole propane tank down the hill into a girls car doing thousands of dollars of damage to it.
In Angelas Oaks we where storing our garbage in an out building till garbage day. The door was not even shut all the way but a bear tore the masonite siding off and pulled some studs out to get to it and strow it every where.
He killed a neighbors dog and ate his food and part of the dog a few days later. Then was trying to break into a house a few days later when he met his end.
In Lake Arrowhead two bears broke into a mans house and he tried to chase them out with a broom. One left and one didn't. It took over 1000 stitches to put him back together. Bears killed and maimed several dogs there. Some of the residents begged me to dispatch some of the bears. But that community was way to democrat for me to chance it.
Hear is a pic of a nice one in May by fall he will be filled out nicely.

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56074&d=1187691624
My dinosaur computer refuses to load pics some time but this is the link.

Joe . that falls under DEFENSE OF LIFE AND PROPERTY .............
. People just NEED TO KILL SOME BEARS !!!!!!
. Everyone gets all stressed about killing bears .. I used to . But if you have an adequet size rifle that you shoot WELL , and quite fast from offhand position ect. . Just line up on it at the top of it's ticker and kaboom ... If you have only a light rifle like a 243 , 223 ect and you shoot it real good . with the bear in the pic , wait till it puts its head down for a mouth full of grass and whak it right in the center of the top of it's head ... Splatter it,s brains ..... I don,t recomend little calibers for shooting bears , but sometimes ya gotta make do ... Like falling an 8 ft spruce with an 046 Mag with 36" full skip ....... Never be afraid to shoot a down bear a few more times ... Saves on the doctor visits ..
. Since ya got a day off ... Go do some shootin .... Take the 22 and the 338 and go have some fun ... Shoot from field positions not from the bench .........Once you are sighted in that is .....
. Not that I,m tellin anyone what to do,,,,,,, I,m not !! Just have fun and keep your sight picture / trigger control working well together ...

Lots of bears here, lots of myth. The little black bears (200-300lbs) are the ones who do most of the human killing. They do stalk people, I have personal experience of, circling around you is a common tactic. Thier thinking goes something like this when looking at humans "Hmmm, I would like some meat, can I take it, will it hurt me, is it worth it?"

In the past, bears were shot when they came around houses, they ain't stupid. But the do-gooders, bunny huggers, have put them before human safety.

The last blackie I killed was tearing up an orchard, hit it in the back of the skull with a 250 grain roundnose from a 35 Whalen, so much for mounting the head.

Not sure of the whole tale on these pictures, but some friends in Soldatna AK. sent them.
Fly in fishing trip. Someone left bait in a cooler on the plane. Radio still worked. Another pilot delivered three cases of duck tape, some plastic sheets and two new tires. They flew home.

Not sure of the whole tale on these pictures, but some friends in Soldatna AK. sent them.
Fly in fishing trip. Someone left bait in a cooler on the plane. Radio still worked. Another pilot delivered three cases of duck tape, some plastic sheets and two new tires. They flew home.

I have seen them peel open cars like a can opener.

Hey Tramp I have always wanted a .338 but down where I live There just isn't much need for it. I would really like a .35 Whelen. I have done most of my killing with a .308. I have 2 black bears over 500 lbs with it. It is a little small but it will bust their heart or break their spine just fine.
I could have had more put I didn't want to shoot them where that there was no way for me to pack them out or in town. I don't shoot over bait stations either.

I have seen them peel open cars like a can opener.

Hey Tramp I have always wanted a .338 but down where I live There just isn't much need for it. I would really like a .35 Whelen. I have done most of my killing with a .308. I have 2 black bears over 500 lbs with it. It is a little small but it will bust their heart or break their spine just fine.
I could have had more put I didn't want to shoot them where that there was no way for me to pack them out or in town. I don't shoot over bait stations either.

. I have a different philosophy than lots of other people do .... Killing bears isn,t about sport . it,s about getting rid of problems , before , during or after the problem starts .... Why not use a bait station .. If they produce dead bears YIPPY ..:clap::clap::clap:.....The 338 and the Whelan can easily do what the 308 is too little for .... And with the same kill shot as the 308 , say a shoulder shot , can produce a much quiker more dramatic and stationary end to a problem .....With a 225 gr Barnes TSX there is little either won,t handle well , from a lung shot on a 100 lb deer to brealing both shoulders and exiting on a 700 lb bear or 1000 lb elk ... And they both are great to 300 yards on elk type animals ... But are also good @ 20 feet on a bear or hog or boar ........ With either one there isn,t an angle to the heart on a 5-600 lb bear that would impede the bullet putting a BIG hole thru that heart ..........

. I,m not much on 30 calibers , and I,ve had a dozen or so ... Too big for the little stuff , have to be real picky with the shots on the bigger stuff .......
. Aweful lot of bears walkin around Alaska with 30 cal bullets in them ...

. I have a different philosophy than lots of other people do .... Killing bears isn,t about sport . it,s about getting rid of problems , before , during or after the problem starts .... Why not use a bait station .. If they produce dead bears YIPPY ..:clap::clap::clap:.....The 338 and the Whelan can easily do what the 308 is too little for .... And with the same kill shot as the 308 , say a shoulder shot , can produce a much quiker more dramatic and stationary end to a problem .....With a 225 gr Barnes TSX there is little either won,t handle well , from a lung shot on a 100 lb deer to brealing both shoulders and exiting on a 700 lb bear or 1000 lb elk ... And they both are great to 300 yards on elk type animals ... But are also good @ 20 feet on a bear or hog or boar ........ With either one there isn,t an angle to the heart on a 5-600 lb bear that would impede the bullet putting a BIG hole thru that heart ..........

. I,m not much on 30 calibers , and I,ve had a dozen or so ... Too big for the little stuff , have to be real picky with the shots on the bigger stuff .......
. Aweful lot of bears walkin around Alaska with 30 cal bullets in them ...

No argument that a 308 is small for bears. I would never consider it at all for big bears. A 180 gr Cor Lokt it will get into the vitals just not with much authority. But it has way more penetration than a 223 or even a 243.
Yes they can move a long way with a 308 through the heart and I would not even try a shot through the shoulder of a 500 pounder or a long angle with it.

Kill dem Bears ..

Use what ya got to the best of it,s ability ,,, No Doubt !!!! But a stainless Ruger 338 bolt rifle can be got on Gunbroker.com pretty cheap .. AND it will out last most things ..!!!!!! And prolly never let you down ....
. But . as long as bears are dyin to the 308 ,,,
. Just , Kill dem bears ...!!!

Awesome! Thanks for sharing :clap:

A friend from Illiamna confirmed that was a bear .... He is a full time guide , 5 months hunting 3 fishing and trapping all winter ... I don,t think he left the cooler in the plane , but knows who did ..... Fixing the fuselage is pretty amazing . but the part I,m amazed with is the tail ... Not as easy and more critical ... Thanks for posting those John !!

and two new tires

I've had experiences with bears tearing into things that were not food related.

I don't know this but the tires may have also been an attraction.

PVC - plastic sheeting - for some reason can harbor an odor that at least one bear on the Yakima Indian reservation wanted. He, (perhaps a she - never met 'em), tore out our plastic lined water dam for a pump show a couple nights in a row before we gave up.

Any scout knows that you put film canisters, (I'm dating myself), in the bear bag with food. This means the black canisters even without film.

=========

Camping in an Alaskan setting is different.

I saw guys that would go off and club young geese, that couldn't fly, to death even though they had plenty of food. Those same guys, with limited ethics in my book, would keep a really clean camp.

The death penalty promotes a better society.

Lots of people here shoot bears with 308s, 30-06, 303. They have always worked. But I guess its like using a 066 instead of a 372, more is better.:clap:

I've had experiences with bears tearing into things that were not food related.

I don't know this but the tires may have also been an attraction.

PVC - plastic sheeting - for some reason can harbor an odor that at least one bear on the Yakima Indian reservation wanted. He, (perhaps a she - never met 'em), tore out our plastic lined water dam for a pump show a couple nights in a row before we gave up.

Any scout knows that you put film canisters, (I'm dating myself), in the bear bag with food. This means the black canisters even without film.

=========

Camping in an Alaskan setting is different.

I saw guys that would go off and club young geese, that couldn't fly, to death even though they had plenty of food. Those same guys, with limited ethics in my book, would keep a really clean camp.

The death penalty promotes a better society.

. With the plastic sheeting , it,s because it,s polyurethane .. Sometimes when a roll is opened it smells like urine . Anything nasty attracts bears , dogs and cats .....

Funny bear story from Icy Bay

The scalers had a shack to keep their paper work in and there was one window in it. A brown bear started coming through about once a week regular. Every time, it would go to the shack and break out the window. Replace the window, next time through the bear would break it. Finally got tired of that so they put a new window in to seal up the shack and nailed a piece of plywood over the window so the bear wouldn't bust it.
Next time through the bear goes to the shack, tears off the door, goes in and busts the window and leaves. Must have just liked the sound of breaking glass.

Back