wedges in felling big'uns

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dead tree hinges

Hi guys, the trees I am cutting are almost all fire kills. A few were beetle or drought kills before the fire. They have sat 1 year. I always pound the trunk to test for soundness, and clear the bark before starting. I figure I still got to look up, as some of these limbs are weak!!! One tree threw a 10 foot long 6 inch limb 30 feet when it landed. Would have felt great hitting my head from 40 feet up LOL!!

I always have wedged unless an obvious leaner...even going back to 12 inch maple I cut as a 13 year old kid under grandads direction. Looking bakc, he probably didnt know that much about timber either, as he was a Ranchero (cowhand), not a forest person.

Sometime in the next month I will move from the shadowed North side of the mountain into the southWest face!!!!! It will be weird to see teh difference in felling behavior, but I think the trees will be about 12 inches bigger on average, and lots more Quercus kellogii.

I dont have much experince felling trees with broad crowns.
Most of what i have done is either Pines or Eucalyptus/BlueGum. Sorry AussieLopa, I dont know the different classifications, we just call them all Eucalyptus!!!

one thing oftern over looked or frowned on by fools is cutting your notch as low as possible gaining leverage trees that size push over easy,eucs are weeds i meen trees:eek: blue gums are PITA they grow too quik

Latest posts

Back