Well, it may be 100 degrees but......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drink

Learned this in the Marine Corp in the mid 60"s.Start drinking the night before!AND I DON"T MEAN BOOZE!!!Good old plain water.If you start drinking when you get thirsty it's way too late when cutting,splitting and stacking wood.Damn good exercise for the body.Just start out slow and easy.Especially if your old and gray like me!! --> water!!:cheers:
Ed

I am set for this year and maybe a little left over for next year. I have 7 face cords cut, split, stacked and seasoning behind the house.
I have 3 storm fallen oaks and a poplar that will be my supply for next year, but I won't get to them until next March or April. I love cutting and splitting, but I do all my wood work in March-April-May.
I cut grass, not wood when it gets hot.

314epw said:
Learned this in the Marine Corp in the mid 60"s.Start drinking the night before!AND I DON"T MEAN BOOZE!!!Good old plain water.If you start drinking when you get thirsty it's way too late when cutting,splitting and stacking wood.Damn good exercise for the body.Just start out slow and easy.Especially if your old and gray like me!! --> water!!:cheers:
Ed

Agreed. Every day I try to drink water all day, but it's hard when I'm in my air conditioned office for most of the day and don't think about how hot and humid it is outside. I feel like I have to drink more water than most cause it don't take much exercise to get me sweating. Sometimes if I'm just standing talking to someone and if it's hot and humid enough, I'll be sweating as much as if I was doing physical labor for an hour or more.
Also I have to learn to slow down my pace when working in the heat. Back home in Alberta (Canada), I could work at a faster pace and still sweat, but not be drained physically. Here down South, it's an all new ball game.

Kevin

JPP said:
I love cutting and splitting, but I do all my wood work in March-April-May.
I cut grass, not wood when it gets hot.

Next year I'll try and do things differently by starting my cutting and splitting as soon as deer season is done, which is usually the middle of February. Cooler and seasoned by the time the wood is needed for me to sell and/or burn.

Kevin

I would think it is getting too late to be cutting up wood for this year as wood needs time to dry. ( unless maybe you already some wood down for a year and its getting cut now. ) Out of my wood pile i have 11 cords , 2.5 of the cords are from last year and i normally use 6 cords per year . ( 4 for the house and 2 for the 30x30 shop ) the other 8.5 cords were felled in December and bucked in December , split in June . It looks like some here are only letting ther wood dry for 2-3 months ?? - if cut today . I always press to have wood dry at least 9 months .

Wood Pile

Heres my wood pile , should last a few years, I think I have about 9 cord of wood . last year I burned about 4 full cords of wood . TedMI
000_0557.jpg

I just went out and got a pickup and trailer load of green ash for next year. Cutting in a grove of 100+ year old cottonwoods provided plenty of shade, so it didn't matter that it was 90+ degrees out.

Dry wood: 8 cords of split ash, 1 cord poplar, 1 cord elm, 3 cords oak
Wet wood: 3 cords of ash, 2 cords of poplar

My plan is to get as much wood to my place as possible and then split in the winter when the snow is too deep to get to the woods where I cut. I just added a wood burning furnace to my garage so I can work on saws in the winter without freezing my feet off, so I will probably go from 8-10 cords/year to maybe 12-14 cords.

I like to get a year ahead in cutting, but this year, I may only end up 1/2 year with the new(to me) wood furnace.

Rspike said:
I would think it is getting too late to be cutting up wood for this year as wood needs time to dry. ( unless maybe you already some wood down for a year and its getting cut now. ) Out of my wood pile i have 11 cords , 2.5 of the cords are from last year and i normally use 6 cords per year . ( 4 for the house and 2 for the 30x30 shop ) the other 8.5 cords were felled in December and bucked in December , split in June . It looks like some here are only letting ther wood dry for 2-3 months ?? - if cut today . I always press to have wood dry at least 9 months .

around here you are only allowed to cut dead trees on crown land unless of course its private property you own you could do what you wanted, I only got 1 acre so I have to cut the dry stuff mostly standing snags on crown land

Rspike said:

You're right about the wood needing time to dry. Some of the wood I'm getting right now is from a friend who has a tree business and let me have a bunch of good hardwwod logs - they won't be ready this year. But I have access to some more hardwood that's been down on someone's property for a year of more. I'm not sure of what condition the wood is in - ie. rotted etc.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back