Well....My DHT 4-way finally arrived!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is terrible get with DHT and let them know : ( I have put mine on but NOT the 4-way part. I am running the 2 way part of the wedge. Splitting vertical huge rounds of Red Elm right now. The splitter runs good but rattles all over. The engine to the pump joint vibrates a lot is that normal ?

Once I get the splitter back home I will try to 4 way on smaller rounds. It is too bad it appears to be a cool design. I hope it holds up, but this is NOT the first time I head bad news on the 4 way ut I hoped DHT had time to improve the design and make it better.

Yeah, I was maybe 15 minutes into splitting. I also noticed the splitter works much harder with the single wedge with the 4 way kit. I didn't worry about splitting anything with the original wedge, but now I'm gun shy with it. Our splitter rattles something fierce when in the vertical position also. I'll need to figure something out. Luckily there was a single wedge attachment for the 4 way otherwise I would have been screwed and would have to tear the thing down to split. We waited months for the kit.

That is terrible get with DHT and let them know : ( I have put mine on but NOT the 4-way part. I am running the 2 way part of the wedge. Splitting vertical huge rounds of Red Elm right now. The splitter runs good but rattles all over. The engine to the pump joint vibrates a lot is that normal ?

I would go over the entire machine and check to make sure all the bolts are tight, especially the lovejoy coupling.

View attachment 409916 Well, I got a chance today to try out the 4 way. I'm not impressed, and now I have an expensive paper weight. It was doing well, until on the return it binded with a piece of wood and bent. It also sheared a portion of the pin that holds it on. I was splitting wild cherry.

Please send me a PM with your contact information so we can contact you.
Thank you.

Not showing here, just a small box with a photo name in it.

I've been getting that with a lot of posts lately. I thought it was just my phone. It kind of sucks. I did notice that you can get most pics to load if you hit the refresh button.

I hope this can be fixed. It's nice to see what people are talking about.

I guess I would like a splitter that is store bought to work without breaking.......................

If mine breaks, it is my fault, I don't have 1000 hours of R & D into my design. Even if it is a 4 way wedge they are selling, should work like a top.

I know there can be many variables with wrong metal, bad welds, leaks, ect.

What is the reason why the 4 way did not last longer than 15 minutes DHT with your splitter and pressures?

Everything was fine on the splitting end. The wood didn't come off the wedge and on the return it binded when it hit the plates surrounding the wedge when it returns.

Everything was fine on the splitting end. The wood didn't come off the wedge and on the return it binded when it hit the plates surrounding the wedge when it returns.

So the stubborn piece got caught between the wood de-lodger and the 4 way wings?

Here are photos of my 4 way wedge which also just broke. I use the splitter mostly on weekends when I have time.
Issue 1: I had an issue with the pin. DHT tool sent 2 new ones which were better then the first one. I was very happy how responsive to fix issue.
Issue 2: after getting the new pins started splitting agian & decided to use the 4 way on some 10-12" walnut and then the weld broke and so did the new pin. If I get a chance tomorrow I may take some photos of the push plate but have a lot of wood to split and NO working 4 way.
Now this has NOT been used much at all in 4 way configuration. I have split about 6 cords of various wood so far 75-85% of time using ONLY the 2 way wedge feature. It seems when the 4 -way wedge is added then the issues arise : (

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 63
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 65
  • image5.JPG
    image5.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 62
  • image6.JPG
    image6.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 66
  • image8.JPG
    image8.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 61
Would think replacement parts would last a little longer. Sounds like their design needs some tweaking. If welds are breaking, they need to look into that. You should rip the metal sooner than breaking welds.
don't worry... DHT is a great company to deal with...even if their stuff is garbage...they will send another piece of garbage right out free of charge. all the time on the phone with DHT just means more breaks for the splitter...which means it should last forever:rock::rock::rock:

Latest posts

Back