Welp, I took to plunge....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I got some Stihl square ground. Also got a couple files. Im going to get my filing squared away before I use it, but would like any tips or tricks from the pros.

LOL....Im not buying grinder for 2 chains!!! Especially at the cost of one of those Silveys!!

I enjoy hand filing, thats how I sharpen all my other chains.

Im thinking about a grinder to make ripping chain though. Its the cost I cant swallow!!! I know someone with a grinder, maybe if I ask nicely, and supply my own wheels, he will let me use it.

Yes Wally, he got it in today, I got a 20" and a 28" and 2 files. I believe he got a 25' roll. He said he is going to get some skip in too, not sure when.

I got out of there for $56 for both chains and the 2 files. That Stihl chain is going to be the death of me!!!

Yeah, I can see how it would be easy to screw it up!!! Thats why I would like the tips and tricks of the pros!!!

Hey Tree, Ill grant you this, I am grateful you and I can leave our disagreements about off topic issues there in the off topic forum. Good man for that, IMO

I'm new to square filing, but I didn't ruin my chains with the first couple sharpenings, worked out pretty well actually it seems. I bet it takes a lot of practice to get really good though. Good luck,
J.D.

I have not tried a brand new off the roll Stihl RSLK chainc yet...

Square filing is not for the weak at heart, or the one's with minimal time.

I started square filing with the Stihl Chisel bit files. They are good files, but there are better one's out there.

I would highly recommend getting a couple loops of oregon, or even used oregon chain. It is much easier to hand file, as the oregon is softer steel. I started with carlton, and it was a bear to learn and has about the same hardness as the Stihl.

How well do you know of square filing? Meaning have you done any searches? I'll get a couple links to a couple of my threads from here and HS. I have many many many hours in practicing square filing. It probably took me a good 10-12 hours before I could get a chain to cut faster than a new Stihl RS round chain.

One thing I can't stress highly enough (ok, more than one):

Light, you got have lots of light to properly see the working corner. You are going to be filing from the outside in. (backwards from round).

The chain has to be extremely tight, if done on a bar, or the tooth and file will chatter, if it chatters, you will ruin a file in no time.

You need to clean the chain well (if it is a used chain) because the dirt and oil/grease/tar/sap/etc will clog the file and make it jump, or chatter, thus ruining the fine edge of the file that does most of the work.

My recommondations? Put the chain in a vise, and have at it. You will probably ruin 2-5 decent used chains, so start with a bad one first, just make sure it is clean before starting.

Angles, try this for starters, 45, 45, and 45. What I mean by this is have the file 45 degress from perpendicular. The front of the file will be angled approximately 45 degrees down, or the back (handle) will be up 45 degrees.
then file in a motion that is approximately 45 degrees from the front of the tooth.

These are just rough figures. You have to remember that you are controlling 4 angles wiht one swipe of the file. This is something that takes lots of time to learn, and many years to master. Most people can't file worth a damn.

I'll get to searching the intra web for my square filing threads from the differant forums.

-Steve

CaseyForrest said:
LOL....Im not buying grinder for 2 chains!!! Especially at the cost of one of those Silveys!!

I enjoy hand filing, thats how I sharpen all my other chains.

Oh come on, why not? Why stop with just buying some square-ground, why not just go all the way? You know you want a Silvey. < /peer pressure >

CaseyForrest said:
Im thinking about a grinder to make ripping chain though. Its the cost I cant swallow!!! I know someone with a grinder, maybe if I ask nicely, and supply my own wheels, he will let me use it.

I can't imagine why he wouldn't.

I just noticed I misspelled a word in the title of this thread!!!

I think the file I got for the chains isnt the right size. It doesnt really fit into the tooth right, at least the way I am looking at it. Its a Vallorbe file, looks like a regular raker file, but the the sides cut at what looks like 45 dgree angles towards each other...sort of like this <=>.

Hey Brandon...Let me look into the cost of a diamond wheel.

Another question, do you need a special grinder to grind square, or is it just the wheel?

I keep the square ground chains sharpened by hand until they are used enough/worn enough that the time spent trying to keep them square filed is no longer worth it (cost effective) .....at which point I switch to a round file.

TreeCo said:
Good luck with square grind chain. It's good to see the GTG opened your eyes. Don't get it sharpened at a Stihl dealer for sure if you want it done right.

Just remember if it is not sharpened right it will cut slower for you.

Yeah that's right Tree. I mean everyone that gets a chain sharpened goes to the races, yup yup,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Tree, I dont believe using square ground makes much financial sense in real world conditions. For what it costs, and the time to maintain it, RS or RM is a much wiser choice, imo.

BUt hey, I could be wrong, once I get the hang of filing it, I may have to eat my words.

CaseyForrest said:
Tree, I dont believe using square ground makes much financial sense in real world conditions. For what it costs, and the time to maintain it, RS or RM is a much wiser choice, imo.

BUt hey, I could be wrong, once I get the hang of filing it, I may have to eat my words.

Don't pay no mind Cassey, Tree was just sluring me. He has a habit of that but thats ok, I enjoy it. Far as square ground goes he's right, they do cut faster. As far as him saying no Stihl dealer knows how to sharpen a chain right makes ya wonder why 35,000 of them sharpen chains all the time. I think the math works in my favor so Tree will just have to deal with it.......

The key is to square file round chain... Doesn't cost any more that way, and is the only way you will learn to sqaure file.

Back