Welp, I took to plunge....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CaseyForrest said:
Yeah, I know....I think Tree has a surprise coming, soon.

Well I don't fault him at all favoring square ground chain, thats his choice. He seems to think I'm dead set againist square ground when I'm not. If your going to race go sqaure ground for sure. Out in the woods sawing firewood the average Joe could care less. The part that bugs Tree about me is I realize there are a helluva lot more average Joe's out in the woods than there are arborist's and racers.
Stihl recently did some tests with RS chain verses RM2 chain down at Va Beach. The results were funny. They clocked both chains in the wood and the RS was a tad faster, one second to be exact. Then they took the saw and buried the nose in the ground. Guess what, the RS stopped cutting altogether and the RM2 continued to pull chips. Maybe that explains why most aren't screaming Weedoggie over fast chains verses ones that will still cut after touching the ground.

<=> yep thats the right file to use. Have fun with it. My first hand job square chisel chain (that wasnt even finished yet) helped me get my first blue ribbon in the big class. Just remember, sometimes you have to think outside of the box.
CopyofDSCF0073.jpg

Last edited:
TreeCo said:
Casey square cost the same as RS chain. It's the same chain with a square grind.

If you bury your bar in dirt like Tommy's customers do you ought to stick with RM.:hmm3grin2orange:

Or just get a trencher!

Good thread BTW.

Good post Tree, I like that one. Least your now admitting some people do cut wood for other purposes than making pancakes. Yes those kind of folks do hit the ground at times and require a simple sharpening, thanks for making my point Tree, good job..:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

TreeCo said:
Thall don't slow these guys down in their search for faster cutting chains just because they aren't designed for the average customer that comes in your shop.

They need help getting to the next step....not discouragement from someone who has never sharpened a square ground chain.:buttkick:

Tree I have to get you some glasses so you can read better. I said those that want to race should go sqaure ground just like you said. I also said I didn't fault you at all if you like square ground. Problem here is you. You make a crack that no Stihl shop can sharpen a chain right. Thats a pretty big statement coming from one man verses 35,000 shops. I know you haven't went and tested every shop have ya? Fact is you should encourage the guys too and help them and stop embarrassing yourself in your attempt to embarrass me,hmmmmmmmmm. Be cool and let it go....

Last edited:
LOL!!!

Hay Thall, When Brandon and I ran our saws against each other, we were using brand new RM chains. Brandon said he was surprised at how quickly the RM cut compared to the RS. I havent noticed hardly any difference in cutting between the two, other than the RM stays sharper longer.

Tree, I dont really ever plan on getting into racing. The square ground looks like a challenge, and Ive been bored lately. No need to get into a pissing match. You do seem to be a little condescending in your statements, but maybe its just the normal way you come across.

EDIT: the square ground here costs about the same per DL as skip. Usually a couple dollars more for 91 drivers.

CaseyForrest said:
LOL!!!

Hay Thall, When Brandon and I ran our saws against each other, we were using brand new RM chains. Brandon said he was surprised at how quickly the RM cut compared to the RS. I havent noticed hardly any difference in cutting between the two, other than the RM stays sharper longer.

Tree, I dont really ever plan on getting into racing. The square ground looks like a challenge, and Ive been bored lately. No need to get into a pissing match. You do seem to be a little condescending in your statements, but maybe its just the normal way you come across.

EDIT: the square ground here costs about the same per DL as skip. Usually a couple dollars more for 91 drivers.

Great post Casey...:clap: :clap:

TreeCo said:
T

I mentioned the USG Square Grind attachment in another thread and all I got from you and Lake was "they never made one". Now if you guys don't know any more than that on the USG square ground attachment you ought to ****.:) ....or at least back off suggesting RM chain in a square ground thread.

I was going to stay out of this one, but you just had to call me out by name!

As you are the only guy on the planet (that we can find) that has a USG sharpening square, I guess they did make 1!!! And what you say is not strictly true... "all you got".. there was a long interchange trying to sort out the situation, not just "they never made one".

Stihl's unofficial stance on that attachment is that it doesn't work well enough for them to stand behind it, so they don't, and haven't sold it for years. I'm still trying to get to a Stihl guy that will talk to you about it, but you will have to play nice.

Call Madsens, they sharpen Square chain. But they don't do it on the USG.. Oh heck, but they are a Stihl dealer!! Want a few more names? No USG's though.

We don't sharpen square chain in our store, but sell boat-loads of it. First time back, it gets back to round. If the purchasers want it square, we sell them the files. Few do.

Square chain, like RS, is a great performer in clean wood, but the moment that sharp tip is gone, it stops cutting. Unfortunately, most keep on cutting and burr the tip away - now the chain really has to be ground (or filed) way back to get it to perform. RM definitely has a longer life and can take more abuse, and then be resharpened without taking as much off. RM2 is on the way out - replaced with RSC3. That's a problem for the wood cutting ("on the ground") homeowners that no longer will have a safety style chain with a semi-chisel cutter...

I'm only one in 35,000, but about 3000+ chains (per year) get sharpened here, and that does count for something.

I milled with square chain for a while. It cuts great for the first 9 feet (20 inch wood), then it's a real pain as it dulls. Switched to RM - slower that new RS Square at first, but vastly longer life between sharpening. The wood was very clean (be-barked) in both cases. I retired all my Square mill chains.

Last edited:
Stock square chisel chain is .22 cents a drive link for oregon. Made in loops to your specs or 100 ft for $209.

TreeCo said:
Thall this thread is on square ground chain and I was referring to square ground chain.

Square ground chain, get it? Ever sharpen a square ground chain Thall? Of course you haven't.

If you've got the phone number of a Stihl shop that sharpens square ground chain please share their phone number with us. I'd like to have a conversation with another USG Square Grinding attachment user and a Stihl dealer would be just fine.

I mentioned the USG Square Grind attachment in another thread and all I got from you and Lake was "they never made one". Now if you guys don't know any more than that on the USG square ground attachment you ought to ****.:) ....or at least back off suggesting RM chain in a square ground thread.

TreeCo whats wrong with you? The problem with you I called you on your smart remark about no Stihl shop can sharpen a chain right. It appears you think if its not sqaure ground its not right. Thats total non-sense and you know it. I'm sure its safe to say those 35,000 shops have sharpened more chains in one day than you have or will in 25 lifetimes so get over it. As far as **** you ought to give that a try yourself. I asked you to be cool and let it go, apparently thats not your stlye, seems you got to win at all costs. Sorry Tree but you simply can't win this argument when your short about 35,000 shops on your side. Do the math and let it go..

Last edited:
TreeCo said:
Casey,

It seems there are some serious opponents of square ground chain hanging in this thread. Don't let anyone talk you out of it.

It was unavoidable that you would develop an interest in square ground as your interest in chainsaws performance deepened.

Congratulations on taking the plunge!

No opponent here Tree, none at all. You win. Cassey get those chains ground square and go racing. Tree is right 100%. Tree I got to hand it to you, your a scrapper. So much so I throw in the towel, you win...

TreeCo said:
Casey,

It seems there are some serious opponents of square ground chain hanging in this thread. Don't let anyone talk you out of it.

!

Serious opponents? Come on, be serious... I see alternative views...

Square isn't the answer to all cutting needs. I use Square RS on clean wood, but not all wood is clean. Don't see many stump grinders pre-cutting with square. You of course can do exactly as you please.

Look like I stihl need to keep an eye on you.

Lakeside53 said:
Serious opponents? Come on, be serious... I see alternative views...

Square isn't the answer to all cutting needs. I use Square RS on clean wood, but not all wood is clean. Don't see many stump grinders pre-cutting with square. You of course can do exactly as you please.

Look like I stihl need to keep an eye on you.

Hey Lake don't forget you are talking to the same guy that thinks pole saws are hacker tools......and uses one himself.

:ices_rofl:

TreeCo said:
Casey,

It was unavoidable that you would develop an interest in square ground as your interest in chainsaws performance deepened.

Congratulations on taking the plunge!

Casey look who's trying to be your new fan after all the bad things he said in the past .. Shake your leg he might fall off...

Whats that got to do with this thread??

Tree..come on.....After the comments you made in the thread I had in the trading post, one could assume you are trying to be a jerk. I will give you the chance to delete that post, or I will follow your regualr pattern of reporting bad posts, as I have been instructed to do just for you.

YOU turned this thread into trash, it was going well, and I actually thought you were going to be half decent.

Even coveredinsap posted without mucking it up, which goes a long way towards showing he isnt always trying to stir things up.

CaseyForrest said:
Whats that got to do with this thread??

Tree..come on.....After the comments you made in the thread I had in the trading post, one could assume you are trying to be a jerk. I will give you the chance to delete that post, or I will follow your regualr pattern of reporting bad posts, as I have been instructed to do just for you.

YOU turned this thread into trash, it was going well, and I actually thought you were going to be half decent.

Well put Casey....Post some pictures of your square filing..

Id like to give a shout out to Reddog, called me today to help explain how to correctly file the square. Even offered to swing by and give a tutorial, can you feel the love in the air here?!:rockn: :rock:

Back