Western Pa., Eastern Ohio,GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The address is Possum Hollow road Wampum Pa. 16157 If you need the house # or phone #,I will Pm them to you. Possum Hollow road is only about 3 miles long and I will have signs up. For cutting cookies I am going to bring in a bunch of 10 to 12 inch sassafras from my woods. Should be plenty to cut. I already have cherry down so I will put it by the splitters if you want to try it. I believe we will have a super split and I will have my split fire.If anyone wants to bring a different brand you are welcome too. I am not trying to get others to split my wood,you are welcome to bring your own if you want. Just trying to give you a chance to try different splitters. Also I believe lots of different saws will be here for you to try.
I am not planning on being fancy with the food,probably Hot Dogs and a couple of side dishes. You are welcome to bring pot luck. I will have lots of soda and coffee.

Here ya go Randy.

I sure am glad I got that sassafras out of the woods before this latest snow came. I tried to get some cherry out today and the woods are nothing but mud right now. I think everything will be okay for the GTG. Its only 2 weeks away.

mud

you aint kidding i got one load out today and was up to the hubs most of the way in it looks like its just snow till you drive in it. if you need anything down there dave give me a call. i will help if i can i shouldnt have a lot going on this week with the rain coming. BILL

Gotcha. I will try to get a hold of him this weekend. We have a ton of pine at the shop.

I need to see if he can mill and carve some pruner poles anyways. Hopefully we have some ash laying around for that.

Not looking good for logs. I haven't been paying attention to the log yard at work and checked it out today. All the pine is gone except a few really dead ones. Nothing left but the big nasties, like 40" oaks, cotton woods and such.

We still have a few weeks to go, so something may pop up. Do we have something we can mount these cants on if I'm able to produce a few?

Not looking good for logs. I haven't been paying attention to the log yard at work and checked it out today. All the pine is gone except a few really dead ones. Nothing left but the big nasties, like 40" oaks, cotton woods and such.

We still have a few weeks to go, so something may pop up. Do we have something we can mount these cants on if I'm able to produce a few?

I have a nice pile of 10 to 12 inch sassafras. I got it out of the woods last week. I cut them in 6 foot lengths. I have 14 of them. I also have 3 about 6 to 8 inches 6 foot long. If needed I can get a few more 6 to 8 inch smaller ones out. I am going to build a new Buck,sometime this week out of 2x6 I cut on my mill. If you get some cants how big will they be? I am assuming 8 to 10 inch. Right now I do not have nothing to strap them to,but I will get something made up if we need it.
As far as splitting wood I should be okay,but if you have some that needs split bring it we will split it first so you can take it home. My stuff I can split latter.
Bring your malls,I have a couple and a couple chopper 1's,for those that want to try them. I also have some locust I am going to split fence rails out of them. I can do that latter. But if you never split a rail and want to do it I have them.

Also I just bought another acre of ground I am going to be clearing. There are several nice trees that are pretty safe to cut. If anyone wants to practice cutting we can do that.You can just drop them and leave them if you want.I will cut them latter. Or you can cut some now if you want. The only thing I might not be able to get set up is my portable mill,because of the mud. We will see how it is by the 12th.

Guys I want all to have a good time,I do not expect anyone to get to involved in any hard work. Lets make this fun.If there is something you want to try we will do our best to do it.We might even do some carving.

Thats fine with me,if you have the connections go for it. How would you do it,like a raffle?

Alrighty, I will send out a few PM's to some sponsors. A raffle or just pick something you want should work.

I think I will also extend the invite to Lucas at Mag Supply since he is semi local being located in Erie.

As for cants, it will be very iffy if I can produce one with little wood at the yard right now. I might free hand one for fun.

I think this will be a fun GTG with a lot going on. Looking forward to it.

The mud is bad right now, its only gonna stay soft from what I can tell. Had the Jeep out in the woods today and even on the "harder" surface trails and old two tracks it is slick and sloppy. Supposed to be 60* on monday and stay in the 40s or so this week. Should stay sloppy but i'm hopin it dries up for this, I can't wait! :hmm3grin2orange:

ill see what i can do boys, im about 45 mins N.E. of pittsburgh..not sure what my work schedule will be..the new job REALLY frowns upon days off.. (work for rosebud mining) so ill see what turns up..maybe a long weekend if im lucky.. lol

Supposed to be 60* on monday

And a possibility of 2 inches of rain. YOW!!! Those woods are gonna be like soup.

They're logging 2 miles from my house. May be I can see if I can get them to hall me out a big knarly piece of something. The only problem is getting it there. I am going to be at bike week till Friday before the GTG. My trailer is going to be occupied and I won't have time to gather my stuff as it is. I live about a 45 minutes from Wampums in Curtisville. If anyone is nearby, may be we can figure something out.

Back