whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't imagine going through all that work, only to slap on some cheapo paint like that. But hey, to each his own. :dizzy:

Its one of the best industrial enamel paints on the market! I am sure that morbark has someone like van sickel make there paint for them.

The best part about using a implement paint is it comes in spray cans. I get a scratch, i just touch it up with a $3 can of paint and it blends right in. Try that with expensive automotive paint.

Last edited:
I agree with 2tree. For touch ups I think it's called Farm Implement Red which is probably Ford Red. 'Seems like Morbark or one of their dealers would be willing to fork over the paint code. If you're in Middlefield go to Geauga Auto Parts and tell Dale to drag the chip books out. I've heard you can take a chip to Sherwin Williams and they can computer match it.
Phil

The ford red is too red. The red orange is the best color. My local dealer told me mopar orange is pretty close also.

Its one of the best industrial enamel paints on the market! I am sure that morbark has someone like van sickel make there paint for them.

The best part about using a implement paint is it comes in spray cans. I get a scratch, i just touch it up with a $3 can of paint and it blends right in. Try that with expensive automotive paint.

Why not just break out the paint roller and high end oil based? just a thought. :laugh:

Dupont Imron is $300 for a sprayable gallon. Believe me, there is a difference.

Oh, and you can have a good paint store put autobody paint in an aerosol can, I've had it done.. worked pretty good.

Why not just break out the paint roller and high end oil based? just a thought. :laugh:

Dupont Imron is $300 for a sprayable gallon. Believe me, there is a difference.

Oh, and you can have a good paint store put autobody paint in an aerosol can, I've had it done.. worked pretty good.

We are talking about two different kinds of paint. If you got the extra $275 laying around burning a hole in your pocket, then go for it. I have seen the auto paint in the aerosols. Its a lot more expensive. I don't know why I am trying to explain this to a gay fellow like you.

We are talking about two different kinds of paint. If you got the extra $275 laying around burning a hole in your pocket, then go for it. I have seen the auto paint in the aerosols. Its a lot more expensive. I don't know why I am trying to explain this to a gay fellow like you.

You're right. I think the can of Centari I bought to touch up some parts on my bucket was like $21. Not a huge difference (unless you're doing an entire chipper with it, lol), IMO. But then I suppose $18 buys a lot of formula, diapers and baby wipes, so I guess I can see your point too.

When I painted my dump truck this summer, I got the paint from Levine's and if I'm not mistaken it was about $120 per gallon. Not bad paint. We did my entire truck with just under a gallon, 2 coats all around, 3 in some spots.

Got the chipper tore apart the other day, bearings actually came off very easily which was a good surprise. Then we found this wear on the engine side of the shaft, which was a bad surprise.

attachment.php

Shouldn't be a bad fix. The drive shaft is only $600 and the guy at Bandit has been super helpful and gave us a lot of pointers on how to detach it from the wheel. I'm really starting to get curious on how many hours this machine has now. The meter was broken when we bought it 4 years ago so we have no clue. We always kept it well greased and the bearing we pulled off that side was still moving very freely so I'm guessing we've been running with that damage the whole time we've owned it. Either way, we're gonna fix it now that we have it apart. By the time we're done with this machine there will be more new parts than old, not much left to fix or replace.

So I was chatting with one of the girls that works down at the gas station this am. She said she can't believe that she's gonna turn 24 this month.. thinks she is getting old. Lol, I told her try 40 (later this month). She's like "you're gonna be 40"!!:msp_scared: She said she would've guessed me to be 33 or so, tops. Lol.. maybe I found the fountain of youth in a red, white and blue can!! Hahaha... she says "well, you must be doing something right, if you're aging well" Lmao!!

I think she was just patronizing me... was nice of her though!!

Last edited:
So I was chatting with one of the girls that works down at the gas station this am. She said she can't believe that she's gonna turn 24 this month.. thinks she is getting old. Lol, I told her try 40 (later this month). She's like "you're gonna be 40"!!:msp_scared: She said she would've guessed me to be 33 or so, tops. Lol.. maybe I found the fountain of youth in a red, white and blue can!! Hahaha... she says "well, you must be doing something right, if you're aging well" Lmao!!

Maybe she wanted your bone!

Got the chipper tore apart the other day, bearings actually came off very easily which was a good surprise. Then we found this wear on the engine side of the shaft, which was a bad surprise.

attachment.php

Shouldn't be a bad fix. The drive shaft is only $600 and the guy at Bandit has been super helpful and gave us a lot of pointers on how to detach it from the wheel. I'm really starting to get curious on how many hours this machine has now. The meter was broken when we bought it 4 years ago so we have no clue. We always kept it well greased and the bearing we pulled off that side was still moving very freely so I'm guessing we've been running with that damage the whole time we've owned it. Either way, we're gonna fix it now that we have it apart. By the time we're done with this machine there will be more new parts than old, not much left to fix or replace.

Thats why I like my chuck n duck those slow feeds are nice if u don't own them lol :cheers: Btw a good machine shop can repair that shaft so hang on to it! If I ever buy a big chipper it will be grapple fed then I might feel like fixing it everytime it wears stuff out!

only 600 yipes lol I only paid 2k for my chipper lol.

Last edited:
Van sickle brand tractor paint, "Ford red-orange" number 479 is a very close match. I use it on my chipper and you cant tell the difference. You can get a gallon for $25.00

I agree with 2tree. For touch ups I think it's called Farm Implement Red which is probably Ford Red. 'Seems like Morbark or one of their dealers would be willing to fork over the paint code. If you're in Middlefield go to Geauga Auto Parts and tell Dale to drag the chip books out. I've heard you can take a chip to Sherwin Williams and they can computer match it.
Phil

Called Morbark, $115 a can. Not too bad IMO, but we're planning on selling this chipper some time this season, so it's a budget build. Ended up finding an autobody paint supply place locally. Took a part in and they color matched it, $195 a gallon for the closet match! Busted out a paint book and found a nice PPG enamel for $44 a gallon. We'll see how it turns out. The color looks to be very close....

You two should go drinking to celebrate your birthdays if they are in the same month.

Chicks dig the smell of woodchips. LOL No joke, had a chick tell me one time she loved the smell of woodchips when he BF (crane op/groundie) came home from work.:msp_biggrin:

Did that put it on the ground job today. What fun. We showed up at 9:00 after struggling to find breakfast at a DIRTY deli. Took down about 9 hemlocks and oaks. Homeowner came back at some point and wanted a few more down, gonna have to go back another day to finish. Luckily they didn't make any mention of cleaning anything up.

Tore my chipper apart yesturday to replace the feed wheel arm pin and bushings, add two more down pressure springs, and a hydraulic assist cyclinder, new anvil.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back