whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a walk out to start the truck and investigate that bearing , I have the one side outer bearing in the shoot , there's plenty of grease on it , but that's not the side that failed it was the pulley side of the wheel

So I spent my Sunday cleaning off the old decals on my company truck. Then put on the new ones. Its amazing what new vinyl will do to make a truck look new.

I dunno Jeff I bought it like that , I was told they were chipping tips Of a tree that was previously topped , and they fed in a knotted burl , and all hell broke loose , a piece of blade went threw the side of the chip truck missing the cab by like 4" , supposedly it was pretty bad .... I bought her for parts . Shame for sure , it's not fixable though , just a spare parts machine

13"? What would you need to make it go again? Bearings, shaft, clutch, knife bed? Morbark recommends repacking the bearings twice yearly. You also have to set the lash. I've never done it or really know anyone that does.....but the local dealer recommends it/pushes it.

I dunno Jeff I bought it like that , I was told they were chipping tips Of a tree that was previously topped , and they fed in a knotted burl , and all hell broke loose , a piece of blade went threw the side of the chip truck missing the cab by like 4" , supposedly it was pretty bad .... I bought her for parts . Shame for sure , it's not fixable though , just a spare parts machine

Why is it not fixabe?

Dealer said it would cost around $18,000 to fix if i am not wrong.

$18k? We just fixed a broken drum shaft in out oldest woodsmen . Cracked the bearing housing in half tore the bed knife out of the machine and broke half the studs off the drum. We fixed it ourselfs. Around 3 grand in parts. Hard to imagine 18k in damage

$18k? We just fixed a broken drum shaft in out oldest woodsmen . Cracked the bearing housing in half tore the bed knife out of the machine and broke half the studs off the drum. We fixed it ourselfs. Around 3 grand in parts. Hard to imagine 18k in damage

Basically looks like someone pulled the pin on a grenade and closed the hatch , the tub blown out , top and bottom so that needs to be rebuilt , a new drum and all the fixings , a drum is almost 6 alone , hey if someone wants it as is make me an offer I paid just under 4 for it as parts , I would guess the engine alone is worth close that .

Did you see the drum it's toast .

Whats wrong with the drum? Hard to.tell.from.pictures on my phone

It's warped and dented , there's actually a flat spot in it , the side has what looks to me to be a tear , I actually think they fed metal into it , the piece that did it in was still in it when I brought it home , and it looks like there was a lag bolt in it at some point there a straight black stain , but I didn't find anything and there are deep galges in the drum like something hit the knife and caught the wheel a few times .

And BTW your looking at a machine that broke this time last year , so yea the inner bearing gonna look dry from the weather the outer bearing is thick with grease , so it wasn't a lube issue

Back