whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did you manage to tip that thing?

I wouldn't be concerned with my axle width. It would cost way more to put a Bandit axle on your machine. I am sure you can get a suitable axle somewhere else.

I live in the foothills here, lots of off camber hilly places...all it takes is a good size pothole to get "TIPPY" going over

Ya, not getting an axle from Bandit, would be way to much...going to order one through wholesale trailer supply

I live in the foothills here, lots of off camber hilly places...all it takes is a good size pothole to get "TIPPY" going over

Ya, not getting an axle from Bandit, would be way to much...going to order one through wholesale trailer supply

Oh that's right, I forgot that you recently posted a pic of the bent pintle clasp. Man, that is scary. Glad to see you were able to fix it.

I love watching homeowners deal with storm damage. Pulled up on my call, sugar maple leads blocking the road. Homeowner is under and in the leads cutting it with his saws all. I thanked him for his tremendous help and politely asked him to leave.

Next call, spruce blocking road. Homeowner in shorts and his rubber rain boots ready to use POS chainsaw. Again, thanked him for his considerable effort and asked him to leave. He assured me he knew what he was doing because he cut down a 60' maple in his yard all by himself. Told him not so politely to leave.

Pulled on to the next job and neighbor and wife are attempting to remove a 16" sugar maple lead from their tree with his POS electric chainsaw. This did not look good. Wife looked worried and husband looked confused. I went over to them and told him I will take care of it for him no charge. 15 minutes latter lead is on ground and wife looks relieved. They were kind enough to give me a $30 dollar tip and I am having steak tonight.

It was a beautiful week!
Jeff :msp_smile:

Just to make ya feel better about living in that tick infested wasteland, Jeff, I got my first scorpion sting this week. Sitting on the deck visiting with my uncle who was down from Chicago, felt something on my leg and wham! Stung like a hornet for all of about 2 minutes, and then nuthin. Did get my uncle to leave early, though, yes, it was a beautiful week. Scorpion sting did not live up to it's rep, though. I was honestly expecting more.

Last edited:
I donated blood (involuntarily) to several legions of black flies and skeeters.
But it was a beautiful day

After waking up to see that it was not raining as expected, I called my ace worker and we went out to prep a few trees for next week. I swear that kid has a great future ahead of him. Smart college kid, and he works hard. Last summer we showed him how to run ropes, kid did a GREAT job, had him running the chipper winch last week while we were dragging some wood up a hillside. I'm just afraid of showing him how to run a chainsaw. Heaven forbid something happened to him. After we prepped the two trees for the crane, we hit the deli for lunch, dropped the chipper and pruned 9 boxwoods for a client. Almost made it out of there before they got back (I went there today because they were supposed to be away)... next thing you know there goes half an hour talking with the people. Did some maintenance on the chipper afterwards and went home.

I love watching homeowners deal with storm damage. Pulled up on my call, sugar maple leads blocking the road. Homeowner is under and in the leads cutting it with his saws all. I thanked him for his tremendous help and politely asked him to leave.

Next call, spruce blocking road. Homeowner in shorts and his rubber rain boots ready to use POS chainsaw. Again, thanked him for his considerable effort and asked him to leave. He assured me he knew what he was doing because he cut down a 60' maple in his yard all by himself. Told him not so politely to leave.

Pulled on to the next job and neighbor and wife are attempting to remove a 16" sugar maple lead from their tree with his POS electric chainsaw. This did not look good. Wife looked worried and husband looked confused. I went over to them and told him I will take care of it for him no charge. 15 minutes latter lead is on ground and wife looks relieved. They were kind enough to give me a $30 dollar tip and I am having steak tonight.
That post kinda makes me think you took your sweet ass time to do at least 3 estimates today ! :hmm3grin2orange:

Just to make ya feel better about living in that tick infested wasteland, Jeff, I got my first scorpion sting this week. Sitting on the deck visiting with my uncle who was down from Chicago, felt something on my leg and wham! Stung like a hornet for all of about 2 minutes, and then nuthin. Did get my uncle to leave early, though, yes, it was a beautiful week. Scorpion sting did not live up to it's rep, though. I was honestly expecting more.

Haha,, Just to make it clear, San Diego is not infested,,lol,,,My Dad brought us out here in 1975 from New Smyrna Beach,Florida.
That was a year when then moon was going to raise the oceans and my Dad thought Florida was going to be underwater. Really.
Anyway, back there I got everything thing there was to get. I used to rub poison oak on me to get out of going to school. My Dad was a machinist and we lived all thru the NASA Mercury, Gemini, Apollo program's with the windows on our trailer in the swamp shaking till they almost broke. All those satellite's, they shook too.
I can not name all the different bites I got living there. Rattlesnake, spiders, etc,,,
Anyway, the moral of the story is Scorpion bites are better than throwing your cat out of the car window on the freeway to California.
Jeff ;)
ps,,i feel better,,Jeff

Last edited:
Haha,, Just to make it clear, San Diego is not infested,,lol,,,My Dad brought us out here in 1975 from New Smyrna Beach,Florida.
That was a year when then moon was going to raise the oceans and my Dad thought Florida was going to be underwater. Really.
Anyway, back there I got everything thing there was to get. I used to rub poison oak on me to get out of going to school. My Dad was a machinist and we lived all thru the NASA Mercury, Gemini, Apollo program's with the windows on our trailer in the swamp shaking till they almost broke. All those satellite's, they shook too.
I can not name all the different bites I got living there. Rattlesnake, spiders, etc,,,
Anyway, the moral of the story is Scorpion bites are better than throwing your cat out of the car window on the freeway to California.
Jeff ;)
ps,,i feel better,,Jeff

Believe me, I've been to San Diego twice, once in February, never got below 65, thought I was gonna die of heat exhaustion. Then again in July, never got above 85, thought I would freeze to death. Nothing but sandy beaches, half_naked women, fresh seafood, Tijuana a half hour away... I don't know how you guys get any work done under those conditions.

Believe me, I've been to San Diego twice, once in February, never got below 65, thought I was gonna die of heat exhaustion. Then again in July, never got above 85, thought I would freeze to death. Nothing but sandy beaches, half_naked women, fresh seafood, Tijuana a half hour away... I don't know how you guys get any work done under those conditions.

We must endure!
Jeff,,:msp_wink:

Took out 1 sugar maple today, which had its up's and down's. Originally I had to watch out for this rubbermaid shed that was right underneath the tree,that was their biggest worry... can't touch the shed, don't mind the rose of sharon, or the jap maple... just mind the shed. Get there this morning, the guy is in the process of tearing down and disposing of the shed. We helped him out for a while to remove the thing, then one of my friends showed up, parked his truck right in the way, so that put us back a little more. I don't think I got up the tree until almost 10:00. Got out of there, decided to bring the chipper home to chip up some branches I wanted to prune off the perimiter trees. While I'm pruning the branches, I find that our new neighbor decided to have his mason-moron run drain lines for the downspouts right onto our property. Had a nice chat with the morons... haven't noticed any changes yet... oh well, so much for me being a nice neighbor.

So I got the cemetery tree removed. At first I thought it was a Ponderosa, but after seeing the wood I'm not sure. Any thoughts? Had to go home and lay a chunk on the bandmill to see what it looked like. View attachment 300080View attachment 300081View attachment 300082

I suspect it is an Austrian Pine. Around here, an easy way to tell, is to look around the drip line. If there are pine cones and needle cast then it is a Ponderosa, if there are old packs of Kools and empty Night Train bottles it is an Austrian.

Last edited:
Ran the crane yesterday doing residential removals then worked the night shift running a grapple truck on a state project. got to see the feller buncher in action, it was frickin sweet.

Left for work at 530 am Friday and got home at 5 am today. Took a nap, then my little girl's birthday party at a local farm. 11 kids strawberry picking and going on bounce houses. Her birthday isn't till July 4th but we figured itd be easier to have a successful party before school gets out next week.

Watching the Bruins then finally going to bed

I suspect it is an Austrian Pine. Around here, an easy way to tell, is to look around the drip line. If there are pine cones and needle cast then it is a Ponderosa, if there are old packs of Kools and empty Night Train bottles it is an Austrian.

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachm...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371098003-167653-jpg

Well, living in Colorado for 15 years, I've seen a lot of Ponderosa pines, and a lot of Austrian pines, but that, my friends is an oak.

Latest posts

Back