whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the chitlins start complaining about brushing their teeth, picking up their clothes or going to college you just say , " Shut up yer going!" That and make sure the teenagers ain't got no alcohol.

Good advice, that.
That part about limping out of bed with a sore nut & knee........was that a pre-existing condition, or spousal abuse?

Got the bucket back out to the shop today. Had a limb to remove for a dish signal and of course got stuck in her damn yard. Wtf. Used the out riggers to get the back wheel off the ground to put blocks under the tire to get out. Fully extended the out rigger and iy didn't want to go back in. Had to fignagle it a bit but I got it. I broke down and called a friend that lives near by to pull me out. What a day.

Shoulder has been hurting for a couple days again so I guess I need to go get a MRI or whatever they do to check it out. Fml

Good advice, that.
That part about limping out of bed with a sore nut & knee........was that a pre-existing condition, or spousal abuse?

Not looking for any commiseration here but as a kid I was diagnosed with this Osgood Slaughterers syndrome in my right knee. Hurt like hell all through adolescence. Its just an over rapid bone growth or something like that. I have a protrusion just below my knee cap. Its common, you might see other people with a bump below their kneecap.

Then I must have racked it up in the usually tough and rumble lifestyle. They told me I had torn some cartilage and did an arthroscopic thing a couple years ago. They told me I would be fine but it still throbs, clicks and is weak. From the pic they showed me there is some bone bruising from the lack of cartilage.

Now the ball throb? Well this is the tree industry, I guess its a fringe benefit.

Where to begin? Had 14 trees on the list to go today, which granted was quite ambitious.

Crane shows up late at least a half hour after being permitted through a mess of traffic. Got a nice dump spot up the road, less than 1000 feet from where we are working... Dodge Vader got stuck, had to pull it out with the backhoe, which luckily was there ahead of schedule :cheers: Although that set the operation back a bit. Good thing I had 2 chip trucks there, while the Dodge was stuck they just blew everything into my old truck. Had an extra guy on site today, used to work for me a while back, and is coming back a little bit here and there. Tossed him off the job around 2?. Saw him just standing around with a saw while 3 other guys were fighting to get pieces into the chipper. Last but not least... with about a half hour of chipping to go, my chipper went down. Not sure what it is this time, but it set me back enough. Gonna bring it in tomorrow to get it checked out, grab a loaner machine and HOPEFULLY finish the job.

We were supposed to bring this dead fir down to about 50ft, which would make it’d be forever out of falling distance of the recreational zipline course on the site. It was also agreed that we’d chunk it down in sections not long enough to hit the zipline should one fall a stray.

We set up a 5:1 way down in the gorge and redirected it up to the trail where it’d be easier and safer to manage. Took a lot of setting up and messing about, and seems as we didn’t get to the job until 4:15 pm....it was actually about 6:00 before I started to climb the tree.

Spurring up a long-time-dead Douglas fir like that can be quite treacherous, as huge sections of bark can come loose and hit you like an avalanche. Its thick and heavy as hell....I know a few guys/fallers have been killed when cutting at the bottom.

Anyway, I got up there with the best of intentions....clear what remained of the limbs and stubs, free the grandfir that’s be resting on it for years.... but it got really bad (rotten) over the last 40ft....the whole thing stood about about 130. Too risky a job to start cutting up there, as nice an idea that it was to leave a big wildlife tree. I got down and we tipped it from the bottom. Used the same rigging system we’d intended for the chunks. Lost about 10 ft of the pull-line but it was 9:00 now and time to get out of there.

Some photos, and you can always count on Scotts shaky hands to mess up the money shot. Having said that it was pretty dramatic when it went.
View attachment 301068View attachment 301069View attachment 301071View attachment 301071View attachment 301072

That is some big wood. what was the DBH on that fir, 60+. I know they say get clear of the tree when felling one. And that's good advice, but if you've worked in big trees, and taking big tops, There is nowhere to go when your tied in 80ft in the tree..
I love watching a big top come over at eye level. They seem to move in slow motion, and take off when the face closes and shake the whole area when they land.
We don't have many big trees anymore here in So. Calif. Any way good job. Thanks for sharing your photos.

That is some big wood. what was the DBH on that fir, 60+. I know they say get clear of the tree when felling one. And that's good advice, but if you've worked in big trees, and taking big tops, There is nowhere to go when your tied in 80ft in the tree..
I love watching a big top come over at eye level. They seem to move in slow motion, and take off when the face closes and shake the whole area when they land.
We don't have many big trees anymore here in So. Calif. Any way good job. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Im not sure how wide it was exactly, the bark alone was about 8" Thats a 46" bar on the 3120.

Yeah its sincere advice from PFT, and if theres a risk of a snag up top or worse I'll move away....but im not one of these guys who just mindlessly runs off for no reason.

Some climbing and cutting from the job itself.

Dead Old Growth Fall - YouTube

And Scott taking a wobble yesterday, thrown in for good measure.

Fir wobble - YouTube

Nice work Reg. It takes a lot of effort and nerve climbing those big firs. Sometimes it's a task that takes it out of you. Spur up 10 feet and take a break and look up the tree thinking, man I've got a long way to go

Today was another fun filled adventure.

Took my chipper in, they gave me a 1390 for a loaner. Not a bad machine, but I think mine has more crushing power, and I did not like the amsteel winch line.

We got 2 trees down on the ground, still have 2 more left. Got the entire lawn raked up though, which was good.

Log truck showed up on time this morning, loaded up from the driveway, and took off, we moved the remainder of the wood out to the road with the backhoe. He came back for 2 more loads. The bulk of the loads we had to pull the logs out with chains with the front of the log truck. He wasn't comforbable reaching under the wires along the neighbor's accessway, so we had to drag everything out to the road with chains. Blew a hydraulic line on the grapple trying to load the largest log on, luckily he had spare hoses.

One of the neighbors came over today, complained one of the trucks hit his mailbox, so I will have to fix that. Guy wasn't a complete #### about it, because it only got a little ding, just gotta bend it out.

The town paid us a visit today as well, apparently homeowner has been complaining about water running onto their property. Foreman from the town saw us working off the curb, says next time we want to do that I have to apply for some kind of permit, cost is $50 non refundable, put up a $500 bond which will be returned once work is complete and they don't find any damage. Unbelievable.

I also managed to get Dodge Vader stuck again. Fun Fun.

Took my chipper in, they gave me a 1390 for a loaner. Not a bad machine, but I think mine has more crushing power, and I did not like the amsteel winch line.

We got 2 trees down on the ground, still have 2 more left. Got the entire lawn raked up though, which was good.

Log truck showed up on time this morning, loaded up from the driveway, and took off, we moved the remainder of the wood out to the road with the backhoe. He came back for 2 more loads. The bulk of the loads we had to pull the logs out with chains with the front of the log truck. He wasn't comforbable reaching under the wires along the neighbor's accessway, so we had to drag everything out to the road with chains. Blew a hydraulic line on the grapple trying to load the largest log on, luckily he had spare hoses.

One of the neighbors came over today, complained one of the trucks hit his mailbox, so I will have to fix that. Guy wasn't a complete #### about it, because it only got a little ding, just gotta bend it out.

The town paid us a visit today as well, apparently homeowner has been complaining about water running onto their property. Foreman from the town saw us working off the curb, says next time we want to do that I have to apply for some kind of permit, cost is $50 non refundable, put up a $500 bond which will be returned once work is complete and they don't find any damage. Unbelievable.

See, :msp_wink:
Jeff

I haven't seen a curb in a coon's age and I am glad but tell us why you don't like Amsteel winch line.

I haven't seen a curb in a coon's age and I am glad but tell us why you don't like Amsteel winch line.

I think it's a Connecticut thing. I asked Paul what was up with the steel cable on his chipper winch and he looked at me like I asked him how gravity works. He simply said, " It keeps it real for the groundies." Not sure I understand what he means or steel winch line in general, but ok. Seems to me any rigging line on my truck takes far heavier loads than a chipper winch can dish out. I'm not afraid of the amsteel in the least.

Latest posts

Back