whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's a Connecticut thing. I asked Paul what was up with the steel cable on his chipper winch and he looked at me like I asked him how gravity works. He simply said, " It keeps it real for the groundies." Not sure I understand what he means or steel winch line in general, but ok. Seems to me any rigging line on my truck takes far heavier loads than a chipper winch can dish out. I'm not afraid of the amsteel in the least.

Yeah, that sounds like something Paul would say.

Im not sure how wide it was exactly, the bark alone was about 8" Thats a 46" bar on the 3120.

Yeah its sincere advice from PFT, and if theres a risk of a snag up top or worse I'll move away....but im not one of these guys who just mindlessly runs off for no reason.

Some climbing and cutting from the job itself.

Dead Old Growth Fall - YouTube

And Scott taking a wobble yesterday, thrown in for good measure.

Fir wobble - YouTube

Garnier? Redken? Vidal Sassoon? What is it!!?? I gotta know! Come on man, hook a brother up with yer secret. Don't tell me its Selsum Blue.

Spent 8hrs waving a polesaw around in a storm, wet as ####, rain was solid for all 8hrs not one break in the rain, then cause i lost my license had a 2.30hr train/bus ride home while soaking wet.... cold.. in middle of winter.

(dw no lightning deadwooding, lifting with long silky polesaw was safe, no lightning)

Spent 8hrs waving a polesaw around in a storm, wet as ####, rain was solid for all 8hrs not one break in the rain, then cause i lost my license had a 2.30hr train/bus ride home while soaking wet.... cold.. in middle of winter.

(dw no lightning deadwooding, lifting with long silky polesaw was safe, no lightning)

Of course you did, beneath it all yer jess a crazy Australian so what are you telling us?

I haven't seen a curb in a coon's age and I am glad but tell us why you don't like Amsteel winch line.

Well, the chipper they gave me is just about brand new, but the line seems kind of beat up already. The biggest thing for me I think though was the fact that when I went to hook the rope, it didn't set, so I'd have to walk from the controls back to the hook, fix it, and then return to the controls. I like how with the steel cable the hook seems to set nicely. Aside from that, and I know this is more of a problem with the chipper than with the material, but the winch seems to be a lot weaker than on my machine.

Well, the chipper they gave me is just about brand new, but the line seems kind of beat up already. The biggest thing for me I think though was the fact that when I went to hook the rope, it didn't set, so I'd have to walk from the controls back to the hook, fix it, and then return to the controls. I like how with the steel cable the hook seems to set nicely. Aside from that, and I know this is more of a problem with the chipper than with the material, but the winch seems to be a lot weaker than on my machine.

I take it the line didn't set with the Amsteel because the rope is droopy unlike cable where it would stay in position?

That's no big deal as one just needs to finagle things to get it to set and I would never wrap a winch cable around anything as it would bend and kink it. I would choke the work with a chain or strap and then attach the winch cable to that.

I have always had steel winch line so I don't really know but it seems Amsteel is nicer to use. I have also never used a chipper with a winch on it.

Dumb,dumb,dumb!

Today while removing mistletoe from a Oak, I was cutting a 2in dead limb with my silky putting a lot of downward pressure on the saw when it went throu the limb and hit my knee like a machete. I was way out on a long branch over the house, with a high tip up in the tree. It hurt so bad I almost got sick.
After a few min. I shucked it off and finished the tree. Came down and helped with the clean up, limping more and more as I made trips to the chipper up the steep driveway.
I rode up the hill with another climber so I didn't have to drive home. By the time I got dropped off I couldn't put any weight at all on it.
I just took a half of a vicadon. Never took a pain med in my life beside over the counter stuff. It doesn't look bad, not swollen just a few scabs where the saws teeth went in. but the pain is awful. I had a full day of work tomorrow I was hoping it would get better,but its getting worse it seems.
I keep hoping it'll feel better tomorrow. I don't have insurance so a trip to the doctors is only a worse case option.
Hoping maybe its just bruised real good.(that it is I can see the bruising)and it'll fix it self. I have a ton of work right now. Couldn't of happened at a worse time.
Enough crying, will see what tomorrow brings....

Today while removing mistletoe from a Oak, I was cutting a 2in dead limb with my silky putting a lot of downward pressure on the saw when it went throu the limb and hit my knee like a machete. I was way out on a long branch over the house, with a high tip up in the tree. It hurt so bad I almost got sick.
After a few min. I shucked it off and finished the tree. Came down and helped with the clean up, limping more and more as I made trips to the chipper up the steep driveway.
I rode up the hill with another climber so I didn't have to drive home. By the time I got dropped off I couldn't put any weight at all on it.
I just took a half of a vicadon. Never took a pain med in my life beside over the counter stuff. It doesn't look bad, not swollen just a few scabs where the saws teeth went in. but the pain is awful. I had a full day of work tomorrow I was hoping it would get better,but its getting worse it seems.
I keep hoping it'll feel better tomorrow. I don't have insurance so a trip to the doctors is only a worse case option.
Hoping maybe its just bruised real good.(that it is I can see the bruising)and it'll fix it self. I have a ton of work right now. Couldn't of happened at a worse time.

For never using a heavy med before ..... You sure went for the right one !!!!! :laugh:

I take it the line didn't set with the Amsteel because the rope is droopy unlike cable where it would stay in position?

That's no big deal as one just needs to finagle things to get it to set and I would never wrap a winch cable around anything as it would bend and kink it. I would choke the work with a chain or strap and then attach the winch cable to that.

Pretty much. I tend to just choke the work with the cable. New cable costs $100+/-. To have to replace it once every few years isn't a big deal compared to most other things.

We got another 2 loads of chips out, plus 2 more loads of wood on my chevy truck. The old guy from up the road where we've been dumping came down first thing in the morning to complain about how much material was up there. I reassured him that I would be sending the backhoe up to spread the piles out. We got everything spread out nicely for him, and the guy actually gave me $100 for the chips. I really didn't want it, but he forced me to take it. Put the money towards lunch, drinks, and ice cream. Gonna have to go back one day next week for 1 more branch... I didn't have it in me to get it down by the end of the day. I just want to be done with this freaking job though.

I have always had steel winch line so I don't really know but it seems Amsteel is nicer to use. I have also never used a chipper with a winch on it.

same as setting nylon chokers, if you take an extra wrap with the amstel before you choke, no problems with slipping off and it consolidates the load better if you are dragging brush or multiple pieces. removing is no problem as the amstel doesn't take a set like wire cable will.

Went to go do a small prune for this old guy, just a quick one, I go up, get r dun and go to collect. It didn't take but 20 minutes once I was in the tree. Old dude was pissed that I charged him a few hundy for it. I told him that he agreed to the price for the amount of work, and that he isnt going to change it, it is.......what it is. We get into it, turns out his neighbor is coaching him that I am ripping him off. I just started laughing, which really got him going. I told him that I have him on video via I-Pad agreeing to it ( I didn't ) He thought about it and gave me the check. What a DYCK! If it took me all day he would have been happy?
Then I have some Big Orange kid call me looking for work, wants to leave real bad. He gives me the low down on why and what the juice is going on over there, Jesus! Talk about a soap opera! I would want to leave too! I asked him some basic Q's about what he can do. Well he can murder up some trees, started talking about how good he is a clearing the lines. I asked him if has read anything about proper pruning, he acted confused........... "That's what I do now" Told him that line clearing is not proper pruning, 2 different missions. Bla bla bla, Nice kid.......... lots to learn. I told him some books to read and I sent him here, so we may have a new join. Seemed real interested in learning the way of the Jedi. As for hiring him........I told him that I am good for the moment! Which really I'm not, need a climber, but someone I can count on doing it right (and with a clean record!), my little adventure to Cali got me outa shape and my neck is still jacked, now me hip be hurtin all the time! Getting old...........sucks.

Reg uses Old Spice, just sayin

I had one of my guys do the same thing. He was put on light duty for 6 months. The handsaw poked a hole just under the knee cap. They said he could of lost his knee if he did not go to the doctor. The hole was where the fluid is between the knee and knee cap. When he walked, it made a sucking sound. For something that seemed so small, it was serious. He is ok now.
Jeff

I had one of my guys do the same thing. He was put on light duty for 6 months. The handsaw poked a hole just under the knee cap. They said he could of lost his knee if he did not go to the doctor. The hole was where the fluid is between the knee and knee cap. When he walked, it made a sucking sound. For something that seemed so small, it was serious. He is ok now.
Jeff

Man that sucks I was about to say take a hammer and smack other foots toe and you would forget the knee :angel: Anyway beast get better mang :)

Back