whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MDS, you bid 35 for the one tree? What am I missing? It looks like a climb and bomb plus remote TIP. Not so?
Nice foresight on that dual crane training Blakes. I guess this was an investment? Where was the training, close by?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Bid myself out of this one today..

Look at the pics again danno. Thats a 90' or better Tulip that Pignut stuck in.. what you planning to remote tie into?? ..but yeah, I wasnt feeling all the headaches of doing a rush job in the freezing rain, an hour away tomorrow.

MDS, you bid 35 for the one tree? What am I missing? It looks like a climb and bomb plus remote TIP. Not so?
Nice foresight on that dual crane training Blakes. I guess this was an investment? Where was the training, close by?

It was in Boston. A nice trip for me and Laura. I suppose you could call it an investment. They really pushed the spider slings though which any idiot can tie...I was hoping for more of an advanced workshop but it woulda been over a lot of the climbers heads. As it turned out I use cranes more often than at least one of the instructors there. Still, I did pick up a few tricks and learned some important stuff. Basically, it gave me a lot more confidence in doing what I've been doing all along. The jacuzzi in the hotel was nice too...and tax deductible!

that's why you coming with us in the winter, right?

That's the plan, bud. Got a few things to settle down here then I'll pull out the calendar. BTW, just ordered some round slings with snap hooks yesterday. Thanks for the info.

How to get it down then?

I'll bite.

I took down a leaning Tulip tree late this summer that had the same lean as that hickory tree however it was not up against another tree and I only had to climb 30-40 feet to top it out before taking the rest of it out.

If I was assigned this tree and judging by what I can see in the photo this is what I MIGHT try.

First off tell the owner that I'll try to save his fence but if I destroy the top rail....take $100 off the bill so he can buy a new rail and install it himself. If he agreed to that. I might even just take cut and take that top rail out before hand and go ahead and buy the the coupling pieces to re-attach it later. I would try climbing up the Tulip tree (despite it being a weak tree) and see if I could either use a pole saw or something to take that last 20' off the top of the hickory. Once I got the top out with a polesaw I would try to judge how hard the hickory is leaning up against the tulip tree. If it's barely leaning on it, I might hook up the hickory about halfway, buck in real good and top out the remaining part. If it feels like it's still heavily relying on the tulip tree, I would slowly chunk it away while staying tied into the tulip. That would be my approach, but it's kinda hard to tell by looking at pictures while sitting here drinking a little Vodka on a comfy couch.

I'm looking forward to hearing what some of the other responses will be, because anymore I'm pretty rusty and don't do a whole lot of tree work except on the weekends.

Last edited:
I'll bite.

I took down a leaning Tulip tree late this summer that had the same lean as that hickory tree however it was not up against another tree and I only had to climb 30-40 feet to top it out before taking the rest of it out.

If I was assigned this tree and judging by what I can see in the photo this is what I MIGHT try.

First off tell the owner that I'll try to save his fence but if I destroy the top rail....take $100 off the bill so he can buy a new rail and install it himself. If he agreed to that. I might even just take cut and take that top rail out before hand and go ahead and buy the the coupling pieces to re-attach it later. I would try climbing up the Tulip tree (despite it being a weak tree) and see if I could either use a pole saw or something to take that last 20' off the top of the hickory. Once I got the top out with a polesaw I would try to judge how hard the hickory is leaning up against the tulip tree. If it's barely leaning on it, I might hook up the hickory about halfway, buck in real good and top out the remaining part. If it feels like it's still heavily relying on the tulip tree, I would slowly chunk it away while staying tied into the tulip. That would be my approach, but it's kinda hard to tell by looking at pictures while sitting here drinking a little Vodka on a comfy couch.

I'm looking forward to hearing what some of the other responses will be, because anymore I'm pretty rusty and don't do a whole lot of tree work except on the weekends.

I would simply hook my 20 ton winch about twenty feet and pull it over backards or stiffen it up then guy it and climb it like the animal I am:monkey:

That's cool, but what if you couldn't use heavy equipment to shore it up?
I'm asking, not baiting an answer because I honestly don't know.

Well It would have to be way off the grid for me not to have enough cable and snatch blocks to reach! I have set in a front yard and pulled in the back using multiple blocks to go around house and other hardscape. If I had to rely solely without equipment, I would likely tie a rope to the poplar then to a distant tree pulled very tight and put block on it like a trolley with my climb line on the large sheave then climb it. If the tree fails I am tied into the taunt line! I have guyed many trees with just rope by systematically pre- tensioning and snubbing it off from as many directions as it takes to make me feel safe! Their are many ways to skin a cat ya know:cheers:

Latest posts

Back