whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Jeff , it was a beautiful day here as well. Got to do a nice red oak removal in a slightly tricky area. Really wasn't very tight. The tricky part was figuring the rigging for two fresh groundies. Finished the day trimming a codom pin oak. It was my first real SRT climb. I'm liking it.

Did the strangest stump job today. It was dug all around it, hardly had any room to maneuver the stump grinder. New foundation being built in the spot. The owners didn't want to excavate the stump worried the roots might damage the neighbour's interlock. Did some gymnastics there.

I took down a handful of 20' oaks for this Italian guy today. Was wearing a zombie t shirt in the subway font that said "eat flesh". He was taking the wood as we worked and smoking a joint the entire time. Tried to give us some and kept sayin "No, it's okay man. It's the kooosh." Needless to say we did not partake. He must have smoked five joints in a matter of 3 hours all by himself. Was kinda funny.

Yeah, his big wife brought him out one at the end too. He was getting tired and brought out an big bottle of code blue Mountain Dew for us. He was real nice though.

Decided this morning to dig out the Onan powered Miller to fix a few things on the bigger processor (18-20) and log truck.
Been a few years since it ran and even more since I have stick welded. Last time I did a bunch of it was in Jr high school, around 20 years ago.

Went from sweating (was over 60!) To freezing... Sun disappeared after a bit, temps dropped 20* and I ended up welding in hail/snow/freezing rain.

Needless to say, while what welded will hold, it's not too pretty haha. Almost all the welding I've done in the last 12+ years has been with my Lincoln 175 MIG.

Oh and have figured out the 5+ hours me and a worker spent gooping almost 5 gallons of blackjack tar on the shop roof was a waste. Damn thing leaks even worse!

Busy, busy, busy for a change. Had 8k in removals come through at the end of work the other day. Both jobs not a half mile from my shop. My two helpers are retarded, and I'm fat and out of shape, so not making production like I'd like to, but plugging along. Nice to be working steady anyway.

U squeeze everyone in the same bus or do u have a clown car following u around with your helpers?

They both fit. It's both sad and humorous that I'm actually getting used to working with these guys. I've become like the Retard Whisperer or something. Lol.. not so much whispering really, but you get my point. Sure does make the beers taste better at the end of the day, though!!:laugh:

There was a zip line in the backyard of the house we were working at....third time I've worked there. The first was in the winter didn't feel like trying it. The second the job took so long at the end of the day I didn't feel like doing anything other than going home. Third times a charm. My groundman perfected the technique after a couple tries- gotta jump off the platform without bouncing the line too much lol. Solid fun for a bit after a pretty easy day.

Attachments

• trim.FA653102-E978-4263-BF12-55C88C5EDC24.MOV
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
Tuesday am : groundman (for reasons known only to him) while using the log splitter attempts to split a crooked piece that is way too long. Piece flips up and whacks his index finger. I notice him hopping around and figure he got zapped by a wasp.
He works the rest of the day with minimal whining, and no loss in productivity.
Wed. am. He phones to inform me that a. he decided to go to the Emerg dept last evening, b. His fingertip is broken, and c. Doctor told him to take the day off, which is what he then did.
So today I got to fill out and fax the 4 page Form 7 WSIB (worker's comp) report for a lost time injury.
Can't wait to see how that plays out.

Took down 2 good sized Tulip Polpar's for some Indian's. I thought the guy was deaf or he thought i couldn't hear with ear plugs in and he was trying sign language. I guess he just couldn't speak english because all he could manage to do was grunt and about every 5th word was broken english, and he had A LOT of questions so i just smiled and said yeah[emoji2].

Back