whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a 55’ boom, I think I could cut at 62’ on my tippy toes because it was so jacked lol.
That truck was a nice setup...Super nimble and looked beastly. I’ve resisted buy a bucket over the years, but I think that’s gonna be my next purchase. Definitely want a rear mount. I always liked the older international’s with the ALC booms. Tough as nails setup.

Is there a grapple that opens to pick up a 5' dial log or larger? One I got doesn't nor do I think this one does...I guess a root grapple is the one like on my tx1000 dingo...

We always found it easier to use regular forks or the crane to move the big pieces. You’re not gonna be able to pick up a very long piece if it’s 5’ diameter.

We always found it easier to use regular forks or the crane to move the big pieces. You’re not gonna be able to pick up a very long piece if it’s 5’ diameter.
True...I just boomed about 10 over 4' plus dia stems today into the back of my lot as they were all kinda in the way from 3 big $10k takedowns last month or 2. Bet they weigh around 4k at least at 7' plus length. Didn't have my portable ball scale on.

If I had to I'd cut them in half to get them in the truck or dump trailer with the Bobcat on a job,. Be quicker than setting up the crane if not already on the job me thinks. Maybe it is forks I need and then I can move big tree balls for planting if they squeeze also.

That truck was a nice setup...Super nimble and looked beastly. I’ve resisted buy a bucket over the years, but I think that’s gonna be my next purchase. Definitely want a rear mount. I always liked the older international’s with the ALC booms. Tough as nails setup.
I got that same truck in a '11 International 7400 (been all corrected) 65'wh Altec, diesel 4x4 with 2 winches. I adore it. Stubbs' first cousin.

Spent the day clearing deadwood from trees overhanging trails at a YMCA summer camp. Probably went up 20 trees. Some had more moving around than others.
The grounds keeper loves free wood so I was told to leave everything where it lays. [emoji2151]
The back feels great btw.

Not as easy to see as I thought it would be but there are probably a thousand cicadas in the pear tree in front of my boom and thousands of cicadas in the immediate area and this is only just the beginning. How do I know? I lived thru the 17 year cicada 17 years ago. You can hear the drone of them over the bucket engine and the mower dudes and it is shocking the volume and again...only just the beginning. It will increase to the end in late Aug.

Did an estimate yesterday for about $4k. Some other guy told them it would be $10k which was way too high for the job. We ended up not getting the job because we can't get there fast enough for a construction job to move forward. But the guy told me he liked me a lot more than the other guys and sensed the expertise in my voice. So he asked me about some trimming on some other trees. I told him we would do it by the hour and it may take a couple of hours. He said that was fine and to just plan on having the crew there for a full day.....he said he has plenty to keep them busy. So I didn't get the original job but he basically invented a new job because he likes me. :)

I told my son about it today and he said "Call him back and tell him we will be there next week to do the other job for $9K!"

Back