whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 4x4 buckets are a little squirrelly to drive compared to a two wheel drive. I guess it’s the top heavy combined with the 4 wheel and height, etc. It’s not bad though. I think it’s a little worse towing a heavy trailer.

Funny thing, that picture was taken the night I picked it up in Virginia, I took like three connecting flights to get there on thanksgiving day. I was all excited thinking it would have insane headlights and handle like a Ferrari compared to my old one, but it wasn’t what I expected. Same poor headlights and have to stay on your game. Made for a long ride home lol.

I only had to take two flights to pick up my Isuzu, but the five & a half thousand km drive home felt every bit that. One of the guys gave me a wry smile when I picked up the truck "Oh, your here to get the FTS" "Your driving to where??"

Live front axle, leaf springs all round, cab over on cheese cutters, always going to be a interactive ride.

Was nice to roll the swag out in tray under the stars after each long day of pothole & variable road surface inspection though.

Do heavy vehicles have to be fitted with limiters in the US? 106km/h is all your allowed on above 10 tonne GCM.

powers-1-jpg.932644

powers-2-jpg.932646

Attachments

• Powers 1.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 55
  • Powers 2.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 56
My International 4300 is governed at 65 mph, but that's only because it was a rental truck (penski). I don't think there's any law though. I think you can have them built either way.

My log truck and bucket top out in the low 70's due to gearing (we have a lot of hills here) if I remember correctly. I don't really do much highway driving, thankfully.

I love that truck! does it dump too? .

My International 4300 is governed at 65 mph, but that's only because it was a rental truck (penski). I don't think there's any law though. I think you can have them built either way.

My log truck and bucket top out in the low 70's due to gearing (we have a lot of hills here) if I remember correctly. I don't really do much highway driving, thankfully.

I love that truck! does it dump too? .

Not yet. Plan is to get converted to tipper & have a lift off top for bin so can still carry machinery etc. Also want to get a big tool cabinet built in space between cab & HIAB. Super singles on the front will hopefully calm a few bumps down as well. Would have happened sooner, but old truck got jealous & decided it needed a new gearbox.

Am also a bit reluctant to shoot mulch at the newer truck when still have the old war machine to take the punishment.

Don't see many Inter's in Oz, but have spied a couple of 4x4's & 6x6's (I think) set up for mining exploration work.

The limiter is a devil on trucks, downright dangerous at times.

powers-jpg.932658

Attachments

• Powers.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 59
That looks damn useful too. And cheap.

I'm sure it would be handy with your trees. Honestly, I don't envy you guys with all those huge trees. Maybe in my 20's I would've thought about going over that way and trying it out (just to say I did), but now at 48 I just wanna get paid and keep trucking along, you guys can keep all that. Looks too much like work imo (no offense). Damn impressive pics, btw!

Just for you Dave. Lol. The knob on the bottom right is a reostat, that means you can adjust your speed (I know all this is complicated). Just turn the key switch or whatever off and it goes into electric mode. Maybe the basket rotation and telescope in/out is what’s confusing to you? Oh yeah, jib up and down too..
0CB3F968-665E-4A91-93F1-625FA687D797.jpeg

I'm sure it would be handy with your trees. Honestly, I don't envy you guys with all those huge trees. Maybe in my 20's I would've thought about going over that way and trying it out (just to say I did), but now at 48 I just wanna get paid and keep trucking along, you guys can keep all that. Looks too much like work imo (no offense). Damn impressive pics, btw!

The big eucs certainly have a presence.

Most of our residential trees are less than 40m, but they are still skyrocketing at a few metres per year in a good season.

The long lonely leaders get pretty thought provoking when your 15 or 20 metres out on some wobbly stem & theres still a lot of tree stretching of to the sky in front of you. Do like it when get in the occasional conifer & they are like a sturdy stepladder of lateral limbs & elastic strength.

Some of our national park trees getting involved with are much more butt clenching though, 30, 40, even 50m of wide open, massive stem before the lower limbs, canopy of giant heavy wood & some scary old growth features somewhere up in the stratosphere.

Snapshots of day & half dismantling some fun rose gums (Eucalyptus grandis).

Really enjoyable trees to work with. Tall & leggy, clean wood, cuts like butter, simple growth habit (basically just reach for the sky fast as you can), they get quite mobile up in the crown, with a good few metres of sway & habit of dropping limbs, so went ham tong to strip the canopies before the wind on second day.

MS880 - 30"
880-jpg.932676

MS194t - 14" narrow.
194t-1-jpg.932677

MS261 - 16" solid.
261-jpg.932678

MS500i - 25" light.
500i-jpg.932679

MS661 - 25" light.
661-jpg.932684

MS192t - 14" narrow. Ocean in background, watching yachts out on the bay, while sailing long limbs into the sunset.
192t-jpg.932685

192t-2-jpg.932686

MS500i.
500i-2-jpg.932688

Attachments

• 880.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 99
  • 194T 1.JPG
    8.7 MB · Views: 94
  • 261.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 91
  • 500i.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 92
  • 661.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 90
  • 192T.JPG
    8.5 MB · Views: 92
  • 192T 2.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 92
  • 500i 2.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 93
Not yet. Plan is to get converted to tipper & have a lift off top for bin so can still carry machinery etc. Also want to get a big tool cabinet built in space between cab & HIAB. Super singles on the front will hopefully calm a few bumps down as well. Would have happened sooner, but old truck got jealous & decided it needed a new gearbox.

Am also a bit reluctant to shoot mulch at the newer truck when still have the old war machine to take the punishment.

Don't see many Inter's in Oz, but have spied a couple of 4x4's & 6x6's (I think) set up for mining exploration work.

The limiter is a devil on trucks, downright dangerous at times.

powers-jpg.932658
Would that be considered a tipper or a ute or a ute tipper or a tipper ute? Just curious.

I only had to take two flights to pick up my Isuzu, but the five & a half thousand km drive home felt every bit that. One of the guys gave me a wry smile when I picked up the truck "Oh, your here to get the FTS" "Your driving to where??"

Live front axle, leaf springs all round, cab over on cheese cutters, always going to be a interactive ride.

Was nice to roll the swag out in tray under the stars after each long day of pothole & variable road surface inspection though.

Do heavy vehicles have to be fitted with limiters in the US? 106km/h is all your allowed on above 10 tonne GCM.

powers-1-jpg.932644

powers-2-jpg.932646
Limiters or governors (not gubna) can be desirable when you got a bunch of moronic idiots driving your trucks.

Just for you Dave. Lol. The knob on the bottom right is a reostat, that means you can adjust your speed (I know all this is complicated). Just turn the key switch or whatever off and it goes into electric mode. Maybe the basket rotation and telescope in/out is what’s confusing to you? Oh yeah, jib up and down too..
View attachment 932671
brings back memories of a pizza I had last night...with the works

Just 12 more years and you will be a senior citizen. It will go by quick no worries.

I would climb any of them anytime...especially with spikes on. 50 metres or what 150 feet? I have been in 150' tuliptrees and sycamores and white pines, etc hundreds and hundreds of times. We do all the biggest trees in our area and before in New Jersey. Never felt a bit scared and I have never been not fit unlike Paulsie. If you want to impress me show me a 300' Euc you are pruning without spikes.

Back