whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snapshots of day & half dismantling some fun rose gums (Eucalyptus grandis).

Really enjoyable trees to work with. Tall & leggy, clean wood, cuts like butter, simple growth habit (basically just reach for the sky fast as you can), they get quite mobile up in the crown, with a good few metres of sway & habit of dropping limbs, so went ham tong to strip the canopies before the wind on second day.

MS880 - 30"
880-jpg.932676

MS194t - 14" narrow.
194t-1-jpg.932677

MS261 - 16" solid.
261-jpg.932678

MS500i - 25" light.
500i-jpg.932679

MS661 - 25" light.
661-jpg.932684

MS192t - 14" narrow. Ocean in background, watching yachts out on the bay, while sailing long limbs into the sunset.
192t-jpg.932685

192t-2-jpg.932686

MS500i.
500i-2-jpg.932688
That 261c is a nice candidate for porting. Mine became a different saw. My groundy bought one recently and says night and day comparing his stocker to my race saw.

I would climb any of them anytime...especially with spikes on. 50 metres or what 150 feet? I have been in 150' tuliptrees and sycamores and white pines, etc hundreds and hundreds of times. We do all the biggest trees in our area and before in New Jersey. Never felt a bit scared and I have never been not fit unlike Paulsie. If you want to impress me show me a 300' Euc you are pruning without spikes.
I’d be impressed too; would be one of the tallest Euc specimens in the world

So I have it coordinated with track lifts to do the annual inspection on my current unit when they drop off the second one in a month or so. My new kid (training) should have his class A in a week when he tests.

I’m waiting for a price on a new cam 24’ tilt deck for the new lift. They want a small fortune for the dedicated lift trailer like I have now. Not feeling it. B crew needs something that can tow either the tractor or the Giant as well as the lift. Unfortunately it sounds like it’s going to be six months to get my hands on the trailer I want (covid bs). I kinda knew that anyway though, so no biggie. Just thinking ahead.

Be pretty sick with my 75 footer and Ram towing two 90’ Omme lifts to a job. MDS likey.

Anyone here have or run the MS400 yet?

Not that have a shortage of mid-size Stihl's, but fondled one yesterday & ergonomics wise, would make a very nice small felling, docking & next one up climbing saw.
We run one has a bark box on it with a 25" bar we like it. We haven't done any side by side comparisons with a 362 or 462 so no real reference but she rips!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’d be impressed too; would be one of the tallest Euc specimens in the world
OK...Karl, that's good. I was exaggerating on purpose as Not much impresses me anymore. I have been to S. Cal numerous times and in driving around find the Eucs very unimpressive, puny even. Way less than a giant Sycamore, tuliptree or oak, etc on the East Coast with multi stems I have climbed over 5 decades. Yet many think just to throw out the tree name Euc it is a big fkn deal....not. I know many get huge and have seen some in N. Cal but not ALL of them...everywhere. Not a Euc but us visiting a very large Ficus I sought out on a vacation years ago We also visited the coastal Redwoods....

529882_486392044752208_634662506_n.jpg

OK...Karl, that's good. I was exaggerating on purpose as Not much impresses me anymore. I have been to S. Cal numerous times and in driving around find the Eucs very unimpressive, puny even. Way less than a giant Sycamore, tuliptree or oak, etc on the East Coast with multi stems I have climbed over 5 decades. Yet many think just to throw out the tree name Euc it is a big fkn deal....not. I know many get huge and have seen some in N. Cal but not ALL of them...everywhere. Not a Euc but us visiting a very large Ficus I sought out on a vacation years ago We also visited the coastal Redwoods....

View attachment 932805

We used to do full reductions on those trees in FL. No spikes., of course. Talk about climbing. Pfft..

Working in the tropics is a whole different deal, that’s all I’m saying.

Used to be called “type four”, or “class four” pruning. Canopy reduction by one third. This is back 29 years or so ago when TCIA was still NAA.

You could tell who was a good tree trimmer back then. Wasn’t like up here. You look at a tree standing alone that’s been reduced like that and you could instantly tell if the guy was good or not. That’s like an art, that kind of trimming.

Had a little spare time as finished early yesterday, Saturday so tossed half dozen 2k to 2500lb oak logs in the truck to take to nearby hillbillies who asked for some wood. Cleaned back lot to make ready for more logs to be staged and either taken to dump or firewood log people like this on a lot day or with some time off. Dump is half hour one way :-(

Trying to get my guy more hrs. on machine we bought a few months ago wherever we can

Had a little spare time as finished early yesterday, Saturday so tossed half dozen 2k to 2500lb oak logs in the truck to take to nearby hillbillies who asked for some wood. Cleaned back lot to make ready for more logs to be staged and either taken to dump or firewood log people like this on a lot day or with some time off. Dump is half hour one way :-(

Trying to get my guy more hrs. on machine we bought a few months ago wherever we can

Lol. Bombs away!!!

They looked pretty heavy. Was he just afraid to pull up closer to the truck and curl down before releasing it? I could understand that, especially with you taking vids lol.

Latest posts

Back