whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought a new saw today too. Had an ms200 seize up so bought a new 201 tc. Made an appointment to have it ported and modded but it really cranks with just the spark arrester screen removed. We'll see tomorrow. Something about a shiny new saw with not a spec of dirt on it.

View attachment 937415

I've been trying to hold back on picking up an MS400 recently. Job over last two days blocking down nail hard mid-size stems within air gun distance of the local Stihl shop was making it even more tempting, of course the 362, 462 & 500 all did their thing, but as you say, something about a new saw....

That doesn't even seem like a big enough grinder for your trees?
For big stuff it's certainly not big enough, would love a diesel, something like the SC552 or bigger, but price jumps straight up in the $130K plus range. Generally the grinders are just used for small-medium stuff - backyards, golf courses, thinning regrowth etc.

My region is a balancing act - residential, rural residential & rural, along with various government tenures. Many properties work on are in the 100's of acres, so big stumps are generally done with excavators. The return on stumpgrinders is negative, they cost money to run, but expected to have one, $60K gets a long way toward a nice 8 tonne digger, which has multiple purposes & income streams, rather than just a stand alone grinder.

Hence the reason keep my old Rayco 25 going.

Neat little five tonner dry hire for certain jobs.

5t-jpg.937482

Attachments

• 5T.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 127
This is such an under appreciated machine and so nice to have on one trailer with your mini skid loader. We do 6 and 8 foot stumps with them all the time. Compliments a big machine. I can't imagine what I have made with this little 38 hp grinder.

sw2370s_STX_STX-38_EFI_23214_34l-2.jpg

First try with the Gopro9 today. Took some big dead out of 3 100' oaks, this one over the garage with the Rolls Royce we skipped yesterday because of high winds. Lowered on this side (video) and on the front put mats down and no lowering, just headlocked all the wood (bigger ones) and tossed into opening. This tree had a number of failed Cobra systems for support that are a ripoff. Strands just hanging down and trunks girdled. Brought the wrong X Ring but got it to fit.

First try with the Gopro9 today. Took some big dead out of 3 100' oaks, this one over the garage with the Rolls Royce we skipped yesterday because of high winds. Lowered on this side (video) and on the front put mats down and no lowering, just headlocked all the wood (bigger ones) and tossed into opening. This tree had a number of failed Cobra systems for support that are a ripoff. Strands just hanging down and trunks girdled. Brought the wrong X Ring but got it to fit.

Ground guy seriously needs to let that wood run!!

Even a smallish section like that choked off & swinging wildly back on the bucket operator or a climber is bad news but 'lowering' a big section or on a fragile tree would just be plain dangerous.

Bought a new saw today too. Had an ms200 seize up so bought a new 201 tc. Made an appointment to have it ported and modded but it really cranks with just the spark arrester screen removed. We'll see tomorrow. Something about a shiny new saw with not a spec of dirt on it.

View attachment 937415
What did you, or are you planning for the seized 200?

Ground guy seriously needs to let that wood run!!

Even a smallish section like that choked off & swinging wildly back on the bucket operator or a climber is bad news but 'lowering' a big section or on a fragile tree would just be plain dangerous.
why don't they get you have to have line behind you to let it run...it can't be bent and in front of you. He normally is excellent. I forgot to bring the Sena com sets and he was in a tight area with the diesel noise to his side.

why don't they get you have to have line behind you to let it run...it can't be bent and in front of you. He normally is excellent. I forgot to bring the Sena com sets and he was in a tight area with the diesel noise to his side.

Rockclimbing is great practice for rigging out. Dynamic falls, energy dispersion key.

When rigging big, I get my most trusted guys on the ropes. Climbers get why it is so important, because they know exactly what it's like to be rag dolled on some wobbly stem or have a huge block swinging back at you while trying to hide behind fresh air!!

Remember years ago, was working on the ground with another older guy. Climber setting up for blocking down some big sections, threaded the portawrap (all we had at time), looked back and old Ned was busy wrapping the lowering line around his middle like he was a tug-o-war anchorman!!

Never trusted him on the ropes after that.

I started climbing in 69/70 6 days a week and my own business after 2 years at companies. Never even stepped into a bucket or had one on a job until 1990. I am with you. Back in the day if I had a worthless groundie I hid behind the leader many times as never trusted them to lower below me. If I didn't I would have died atleast a dozen deaths getting squashed between the leader/stem and the honker being lowered. I like to take out BIG wood. That oak limb were it taken out all at once had a good chance of shedding on the garage or throwing tip pieces at the house. It worked out great along with the rest..

The bearded dude feels the need to go incognito. I think the kid joins in on posts sometimes. What a duo. Likely smoke weed all day.

View attachment 937565
That's just funny. One thing for sure..if the little curly headed dude hung around here he would have to get a a hair cut. He looks like something off the old sonny and cher show.

@treevet do you suck dicks?
What a little pu*sy.
You try getting under peoples skin and call them all kinds of disparaging names and question their years and years of skills in the tree biz, not to mention the trials and tribulations he's gone through as we've all gone through over the years and when he fights back and gets under YOUR skin, you cry foul. You cried foul when he mentioned boning your mom and you told him to lay off, you're only 15. Then you continue to team up with others as if you're on the same level playing field as they are and try a team attack on treevet. He gets after you again and finds your facebook page and you cry like a little bit*h.

There was only one other tree guy that I got after years ago for being a huge poser. Every time we saw his picture he was next to someone else's equipment as if it was his, he told us all about how he was killing it on HIS jobs when he actually worked for someone else and in the end, he now apparently works for parks and recreation. Total POS. Thats where I am currently with you, POS punk.

This thread was started when you were 5 f*cking years old, just old enough to not piss your pants. Over the years, vet and mds have jabbed back and forth about their jobs but I'll bet both of then would help the other in a heartbeat if it needed to be done. THOSE guys are on the same skill levels and talent and experience levels. What have you got? A few ropes, a puny saw and a weedwhacker?

Like I told the other POS, when you own your own business with all the problems associated with it like catastrophic equipment failures all the way down to injuries and small petty BS that goes on in a business, have a wife and kids to support, have a home to pay for, have clients to please and somehow find some time to rest on occasion, get back to me and join the thread again. Till then, you're a little pissant that nobody likes putting up with. And that "homeschooling" you're doing? Apparently they don't teach a class in respect and decency. Or maybe they do and you've got a failing grade. Maybe your teacher would like to see some of the sh*t you've posted in here and would like to see how you make friends? I don't know too many ex Marines that would put up with you and your crap for this long. Maybe you should show a little respect and maybe, just maybe, he'll give you some tips and pointers. But that would mean you'd have to face the fact that you don't know jack about this business and haven't started off on the right foot.

:****you:

2nd day trying out the go pro9 and second day with a few cuts on the new ms 201tc. I like the cam better than the phone but seemed kind of dull although it was overcast and we fit this job in perfectly as the rain chased us off the job at about 12 30 like I figured. $900 cash, not bad for 3 1/2 hours. As for the saw ....it has ALMOST enough power...much more than the last 201 I owned years ago...but not enough. Gonna send it out for port/mod job next week. You can see this tree had a long split defect in the base and was very dangerous. I noticed it while removing some storm damage a few weeks ago. Didn't have time to mess with it then.

Your teacher is failing you.
At 15, you're going to find your face in a million pieces pretty soon when you wise off, internet tough guy. Someday, you'll wise off to the wrong guy and that's when reality sets in.

Back