whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i hate when HO call me back trying to get a lower price saying they got a bid from so and so. and then they lie about the price. lady today tried to get me to do 7 pines ranging from 45-70 feet for 150$ a pop. then when i said no thanks she changed her mind and went with us instead. at 425$ a pop.

Well it looks like this is the week for monsters. I went and bid another humungus dead oak the base dbh is eight feet it has trees where the limbs are:)
I got it if i can get too it in a month 6k:) Another service bid it at 18k then me and one more were at 6k. I told the man it is worth 18 k and that i dont really look forward to doing it lol:)

Good deal rope. Glad to hear it!

I must be getting all the bad luck this year.. season sucks ass pretty much. What's to expect with more treeguys than trees though, I suppose.. Oh well, suck it up and make the best of it.

Took a slide!

Yesterday I pruned 3 locust, it was for a friend who is opening a restaurant today. They were small, about 45ft, it had rained real hard early, we waited for a while and then I went up, the rope, after a bit, started get pretty wet, I swung out to go up and grabbed the rope and my hand just slide down, hitting the top of my hitch, so then I start sliding, fast! I let go and grabbed the micro and tail and punched up. I must have slid 15ft in a second, I am pretty sure it all has to do with the moisture, as this has never happened before! I barley touched the hitch and BAM, I was moving! Pretty crazy, now I may wait a little longer for a tree to drip dry a little more! Oh and ugly gloves don't work to well when they are wet either!

Today I am supposed to do a job in a small town about 30 minutes away, nervous, as I have to go down this highway that is littered with DOT. My truck is good and paperwork is good, but those guys can write a ticket for a broken door handle, they hate tree guys, as most deserve it (meth heads) so they will nit pick everything! Gonna try and avoid that adventure!

Also, I am in the market for new saws, think I may have found them
View attachment 191980View attachment 191981View attachment 191982
I couldn't decide which one I wanted, so I went green and bought the electric one, gonna replace the 020

Had to get a Nestea plunge pool for after work, testing it out.View attachment 191983

Welcome to Corona, Iowa

Last edited:
All you guys workin on Sun? Makes for a tough Mon am. Did you work on Sat too?

We genrly work bout 6x on sat then take off sun. Back in the day Sun was like any other day tho. Do em when ya got em. Maybe take a doober down to the riv on tue or wed (when nobody else is off hAHA) and catch some catfish all day standin in the current.:pumpkin2:

Today we got the first hundo percent eab day. 2 nice size green ash dead from eab I found.

Let the games begin. Crano makes it a caker.

Today we got the first hundo percent eab day. 2 nice size green ash dead from eab I found.

I hate dead ash trees we do most ours with a crane too still makes a huge azz mess and the dust omg!!!! have fun:rock:

lets see today we did a good sized storm tree, ash ~30" hanging over the primaries fun! done by 9 then a 54"dbh elm (ded) knocked that bad boy out by 1 that thing had a hellova root flare left a 8'+ flush cut then did a eab ash 36" about 80' tall all logs

all in all easy day wish I got a pic of that elm stump

I hate dead ash trees we do most ours with a crane too still makes a huge azz mess and the dust omg!!!! have fun:rock:

lets see today we did a good sized storm tree, ash ~30" hanging over the primaries fun! done by 9 then a 54"dbh elm (ded) knocked that bad boy out by 1 that thing had a hellova root flare left a 8'+ flush cut then did a eab ash 36" about 80' tall all logs

all in all easy day wish I got a pic of that elm stump

They are dusty but nice thing is they don't need much seasoning to sell or burn for firewood. Don't burn real long but that is the stuff ho's like;. We knock em today and they get split next rain day and they are good to go by late Oct. Even get compliments about that stuff.

Me, I'd rather burn something else in my inside wood furnace. Burns way too fast.

Folks around here love the Silver Maple firewood. I use it as a quick starter for a hot bed of coals and add the Oak and Cherry to it. Gotta rest up the finger a little longer. Should have gotten stitches when I cut it. In the meantime the work keeps piling up and I looked at some more to bid on. Better hurry, we have vacation right around the corner. Taking our son down to Va. Beach on the bay side. Looking forward to fresh seafood from Lynnhaven Seafood Marina!:msp_thumbsup:

So I'm in Atlanta... I hit a couple of hotels and the prices where astronomical... The receptionist at one of the hotels told me about a place that has reasonable weekly rates with a guard at the door. No one in or out without ID. I said great! Looked good. It's actually right across the street from a building that I lived in 18 years ago for about a year and a half. Everything looks revamped and nice. Nice town homes across the street and behind me. Then I had to move around back because there was a problem with my room... So far I have seen a half dozen crack whores go into the alley back here and three dudes stop and hit a rock... Gotta love Atlanta. Great facade, everything looks good from the main streets but there are a thousand cuts in Atlanta... LOL, Nothing has changed here. I cut my teeth and learned how to climb in this town. It's like the New York City of the South.

spent most of the day buying a skid loader.....came across a deal I couldn't refuse 1995 753c with 1911hours and came with a smooth bucket, and brand new forks.....loader is in excellent shape...ended up paying 5500.00$.

So I'm in Atlanta... I hit a couple of hotels and the prices where astronomical... The receptionist at one of the hotels told me about a place that has reasonable weekly rates with a guard at the door. No one in or out without ID. I said great! Looked good. It's actually right across the street from a building that I lived in 18 years ago for about a year and a half. Everything looks revamped and nice. Nice town homes across the street and behind me. Then I had to move around back because there was a problem with my room... So far I have seen a half dozen crack whores go into the alley back here and three dudes stop and hit a rock... Gotta love Atlanta. Great facade, everything looks good from the main streets but there are a thousand cuts in Atlanta... LOL, Nothing has changed here. I cut my teeth and learned how to climb in this town. It's like the New York City of the South.

Big cities are essentially all the same that way. If they really wanted to shut down the drug trade which is at the heart of most of the crime, they could do it. But they (politicians and police) don't want to do it for many reasons.

All you guys workin on Sun? Makes for a tough Mon am. Did you work on Sat too?

We genrly work bout 6x on sat then take off sun. Back in the day Sun was like any other day tho. Do em when ya got em. Maybe take a doober down to the riv on tue or wed (when nobody else is off hAHA) and catch some catfish all day standin in the current.:pumpkin2:

We have been working alot of weekends, just trying to stay cuaght up, to a point anyway! We had to do that one on that day, only day to get in there. I dont mind a day off in the week!

Think I found first EAB in Iowa, had USDA out, they think too, as it has all the signs, the perfect D holes, but no larvae or bug? We set a trap, and check it often. They did not want to confirm without one or the other.

We have been working alot of weekends, just trying to stay cuaght up, to a point anyway! We had to do that one on that day, only day to get in there. I dont mind a day off in the week!

Think I found first EAB in Iowa, had USDA out, they think too, as it has all the signs, the perfect D holes, but no larvae or bug? We set a trap, and check it often. They did not want to confirm without one or the other.

Chance if it an ash and it is a D hole (they are very distinct) then it is eab. They won't usually confirm without an adult or larvae. Look for

S shaped galleries
Woodpecker damage
D holes
Notched leaves
Interior sprouting from the injuries

We have been tracking it on my Forestry Board for 5 years now and it has probably been in our town almost that long but it has just become obvious this year everywhere. You can equate it to popcorn or a forest fire in development.

Might be advantageous to you if you can find some s galleries to have a little contact with the local newspaper. Gave the guy who found it here in Cinci. mass press.

Here is how they look in advanced stages yesterday. D holes and woodpecker holes everywhere.

Took a little vid but can't get the upload.

I been treating these trees until this spring, new owner prob thought I was a scammer. Guess they found out otherwise. At least they called us for the td's.

They are dusty but nice thing is they don't need much seasoning to sell or burn for firewood. Don't burn real long but that is the stuff ho's like;. We knock em today and they get split next rain day and they are good to go by late Oct. Even get compliments about that stuff.

Me, I'd rather burn something else in my inside wood furnace. Burns way too fast.

Does the usda quarantine the ash in your area?

Does the usda quarantine the ash in your area?

The quarantines are just for isolated counties or for the side of your county that is not infested. Any county (or state for that matter) that is infested is free to move ash without restrictions within that infested area or areas contiguous that also have recognized infestations.

This is why, in part, the infestations move so quickly in the infested zones because nothing is being moved out it is all traded within.

We found our first larvae today and our second adult. They are very hard to find in the beginning. We actually saw a number of them yesterday flying around while slamming the ash but they are very elusive. It is much easier to find evidence of their presence.

Did about a 10' lilac at the end of the day for me, cool C-note. Took longer to walk out back to it than actually cut it. Which leads a question, anyway to permanently kill one? Besides making a concrete slab over it?

Thanks.

Did about a 10' lilac at the end of the day for me, cool C-note. Took longer to walk out back to it than actually cut it. Which leads a question, anyway to permanently kill one? Besides making a concrete slab over it?

Thanks.

tordon

Today I had the pleasure of working with Fushcut, Treeslayer, and, for the first time ever, UNDER JPS!!!! I hope I was fast enuff for him! Animal in a tree! Still wanted to be up there, but hey, respect your elders!

Latest posts

Back