whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
prentice110

prentice110

SpongeBob Fap Pants
dude, Johns cool as it gets, never woulda imagined that guy being as cool as he is. Dont have enuf thumbs to point up. I was pissed that he left without saying good bye tho... Its ok, I know where he's staying.... Maybe a phyco stalker visit will change his mind.....lol

epicklein22
Here is how they look in advanced stages yesterday. D holes and woodpecker holes everywhere.

Took a little vid but can't get the upload.

I been treating these trees until this spring, new owner prob thought I was a scammer. Guess they found out otherwise. At least they called us for the td's.

What do you mean by "treating" them?

I do all the EAB treatments at my work. We use the arborjet injection system. Should be good for up to 3 years of protection. The TreeAge chemical is astronomically high in price though and that, without a doubt, has stopped many people from treating their trees. The chemical is right around $500 dollars for a 1000 ML. Large trees can take 500 ml on the high dosage. It is the best treatment available at the moment though. I'm interested in how well the soil drenches and sprays perform.

Slowly, but surely, we are seeing more infested trees in this area and eventually all of them will be doomed without treatment. I suggest any company that has not yet been hit hard, to invest in the time and equipment to save your client's ash trees. It is sad that many will wait to late to act though and will lose a tree that could have been saved if they responded in a timely fashion.

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
dude, Johns cool as it gets, never woulda imagined that guy being as cool as he is. Dont have enuf thumbs to point up. I was pissed that he left without saying good bye tho... Its ok, I know where he's staying.... Maybe a phyco stalker visit will change his mind.....lol

Yeah I will bet he is. Speaking of thumbs

001-8.jpg

The kid decided to open up his while opening a can of R134 with his pocket knife. He said " at least the A/C works in my car now!"

He came in saying he would work today.:dizzy:

Well I got the rest of the week off too! YAY! Not I don't! BOOO! I knew I should have taken that knife off him when I had the chance.

no tree to big

no tree to big

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
today was interesting, more dead elms (ded) go figure, job #1 lady is giving us water and chips but its a village tree :msp_thumbup: second job stone dead elm bark was flaking off and everything the old lady across the street was yelling at us for cutting the tree down (you people are horrible, my father and grandfather were foresters or some nonsence, you tree killers...) we were like lady the tree is completly dead there isn't a single leaf on it but she kept on for like 30 mins and across the street from the first one was another 1/2 dead tree, red maple maybe?, that was given the mark of death(big white dot) yesturday by the village forester the HO went and painted over the dot with black paint and preceded to pleed with us to not cut down his tree we were on break so basically said shut the f up just call the village, village guy comes out and is talking to this guy for over an hour about this chitty tree hopefully that one is on the next list we get I say we do it first!!!

wierdest thing of the day our climber was doing the flushcut on the second tree with the 660 and there was a loud ass POP the mexis are looking at it for like 5 mins I take it pull it over once no compression so I go to wiggle the spark plug completly loose turns out it blew the threads clean out of the jug.

treeman82

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Today we brought in another guy to help with a small clearing job, however first order of business for the day was a DEAD black cherry. Stupid move on my part this morning though, my guy put my gear next to the tree as he always does; helmet, saddle, rope bag, spikes. I go with the throw ball to get some lines set, in the process I rip out a rotten branch which clips my helmet sitting there on the ground. Damage doesn't seem terrible, but the helmet was retired immediately. Gotta order a new one from Sherrill ASAP, not sure which will get here first though, the helmet, or the box of goodies I ordered from them last night.

Beyond that we got the clearing job done without any troubles. Figured I'd be calling a friend to come pull the truck and chipper out when it got stuck... got out on my own power no problems. Dropped the chipper and it started pouring, plenty of lightning to go along with all the heavy rain.

Sent a text to a shady client letting him know that I'll be over there on Thursday, really want to walk from this guy. He was referred to me by somebody I flat out don't trust. Job isn't bad, just vista work on a bunch of smaller trees, and now 1 larger oak tree, plus a couple 40 - 50' hemlocks. Told him a day rate up front, he didn't want any clean-up, and didn't want to pay for full days. Quoted higher hourly rate with a min charge to go up there because it's out of my way, and the roads suck. First time I was supposed to go up there to work I got held up with storm damage and called to cancel, but apparently he wasn't even at the house. Went up there on another weekend, met his wife, can't use that word on a public forum... told her that this one oak behind her house was shot, got completely trashed in a wind storm, she flipped. Figure I have 2 - 3 short days there to get the work done, told the guy that I'm not just going there for his project. Have 2 other BS jobs I can go do within 15 min from his place, need to get them done to keep the list in check... told guy I'll be there Thursday to get stuff done, he has to wait... not sure when I'll be up there again. He owes me a couple bucks already, but I'd really love to walk from the people, take the loss and be done with it.

Jumper

Jumper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Oil Patch, Edmonton, Alberta for now.....
[QUOTE: second job stone dead elm bark was flaking off and everything the old lady across the street was yelling at us for cutting the tree down (you people are horrible, my father and grandfather were foresters or some nonsence, you tree killers...) we were like lady the tree is completly dead there isn't a single leaf on it but she kept on for like 30 mins.[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of removing a half dead Manitoba Maple in a granola munching Birkenstock/Croc wearing section of Ottawa that was filled with concrete, and some woman came out and started giving me hell thinking I worked for the hydro company. Never mind the tree was on private property, a glorified weed, and well past its prime at that.

I framed houses for Habitat for Humanity again today, still in retirement. Back at it Thurs and Fri....

tree MDS
[QUOTE: second job stone dead elm bark was flaking off and everything the old lady across the street was yelling at us for cutting the tree down (you people are horrible, my father and grandfather were foresters or some nonsence, you tree killers...) we were like lady the tree is completly dead there isn't a single leaf on it but she kept on for like 30 mins.

Reminds me of removing a half dead Manitoba Maple in a granola munching Birkenstock/Croc wearing section of Ottawa that was filled with concrete, and some woman came out and started giving me hell thinking I worked for the hydro company. Never mind the tree was on private property, a glorified weed, and well past its prime at that.

I framed houses for Habitat for Humanity again today, still in retirement. Back at it Thurs and Fri....[/QUOTE]

You get payed for all these houses you're supposedly framing everyday Bud?

Who gets to live in these homes??

Just curious, is all..

the Aerialist

the Aerialist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Made a great contact today ...

mattfr12 and I got together today and I had a great time seeing what a real deal tree service is like. Matt asked me if I could spare a ground worker for a day due to an unplaned vacation that left them needing a ground guy.

Needing a day off myself, I shifted the days work to tomorrow and gave him my best man and Nephew, JohnBoy. I wanted to give JohnBoy an opportunity to work for someone other than myself as a ground guy.

I was proud of him because he stepped right in and did a great job, even taking over as rope man for Matt, who was in his brand new bucket truck (4000 miles). I had some evaluations to do, but I ended up sticking around and talking with Matt's Dad as we watched the work progress. I think JohnBoy Picked up a log that impressed everyone, I think Matt took a photo of it with his phone, maybe he'll post it.

And progress it did. Matt worked smoothly and eficeintly from the bucket, quickly dismantling a small Maple in a housing project with plenty of traffic and onlookers around. It was great to be on a job so well run but with zero responsibility. I was pretty much a spectator although Matt's Dad and I got to talk quite a bit.

It was a short day and after lunch Matt and I went on a couple of estimates together and we've agreed to work the jobs together, and hooking up with Matt and his Father will benefit both our companies, mine being rather small potatoes compared to his equipment wise.

Matt's got a Bobcat with a massive stump grinder attachment that definitely makes my tractor's look rather puny. I didn't get to see it in action though because it developed a problem, most likely with the computer controlled traversing of the attachment.

I look forward to working with Matt on more projects in the future. It's great to meet someone from this site who is so close and has such a great operation going.

5979666401_7728348d39_b.jpg

Last edited:
tree MDS
mattfr12 and I got together today and I had a great time seeing what a real deal tree service is like. Matt asked me if I could spare a ground worker for a day due to an unplaned vacation that left them needing a ground guy.

Needing a day off myself, I shifted the days work to tomorrow and gave him my best man and Nephew, JohnBoy. I wanted to give JohnBoy an opportunity to work for someone other than myself as a ground guy.

I was proud of him because he stepped right in and did a great job, even taking over as rope man for Matt, who was in his brand new bucket truck (4000 miles). I had some evaluations to do, but I ended up sticking around and talking with Matt's Dad as we watched the work progress.

And progress it did. Matt worked smoothly and eficeintly from the bucket, quickly dismantling a small Maple in a housing project with plenty of traffic and onlookers around. It was great to be on a job so well run but with zero responsibility. I was pretty much a spectator although Matt's Dad and I got to talk quite a bit.

It was a short day and after lunch Matt and I went on a couple of estimates together and we've agreed to work the jobs together, and hooking up with Matt and his Father will benefit both our companies, mine being rather small potatoes compared to his equipment wise.

Matt's got a Bobcat with a massive stump grinder attachment that definitely makes my tractor's look rather puny. I didn't get to see it in action though because it developed a problem, most likely with the computer controlled traversing of the attachment.

I look forward to working with Matt on more projects in the future. It's great to meet someone from this site who is so close and has such a great operation going.

Sounds like Matt had better watch his backside... just saying..

mattfr12

mattfr12

The Bulldog
Sounds like Matt had better watch his backside... just saying..

ive read alot of that hear but im the kinda guy that gives the benifit of the doubt and in this case id have to say dougs a good guy with good intentions in the tree care industry. everyone started some where and if i can help people with knowledge or equipment in the benifit of both people why not. people hammer him about his videos and what not but i can also remember a time when i first climbed a tree and i didnt do everything exactly right? as far as watching my back

doug is almost in a different tree game than me does pruning take downs in tight residential settings. im not gonna deny or bash him for trying to earn a dollar.

ill bash the man able to work sitting on his couch somewhere collecting a check that me and everyone else here is writing.

on the other hand my bread and butter is large tree removal where 80% of it is done with a crane i just had my own knuckle boom built in june to help cut down on the rental cost. i usually come in a good bit cheaper than the competion due to the speed we can knock down trees straight from a crane into a morbark 2400xl with a loader. a few years ago trees that would take us 2 days to cut down and haul out are down and out in hours.

on friday where doing a 9 pine removal ranging from 40 to 75 feet. at 400 a tree we where by far the lowest bidder including stumps. we can usually knock out a job like that in 5-6 hours.

Last edited:
the Aerialist

the Aerialist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Pruning takedowns ...

... doug is almost in a different tree game than me does pruning take downs in tight residential settings... my bread and butter is large tree removal where 80% of it is done with a crane ...

Well thanks for the kind words, they are far too few around here, but what's a "pruning takedown"? I guess it must be one where I wear my gaffs.