whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaned up some storm damaged willows for a farmer buddy of mine today. At lunch we walked down and shot 4 geese out of his irrigation pond. Breasted them out and threw them in the lunch box, chipped the carcasses. He also gave me permission to bow hunt two new properties. Season starts in two weeks, can't wait.

Well since ya asked Jeffy I took down a 100' spruce today that was more than half way uprooted and leaning , and I loved it ....By hand too , so top that lol ....

Well since ya asked Jeffy I took down a 100' spruce today that was more than half way uprooted and leaning , and I loved it ....By hand too , so top that lol ....

O key do key,
It took time to post them to our Facebook page--here ya go--http://www.facebook.com/pages/Urban-Tree-Care-Inc/370629587386

This was a 115' euc. 90 ton crane. 176' of boom for the whole job.
I can post some here but I just opned a Bud!
Jeff :msp_tongue:

O key do key,
It took time to post them to our Facebook page--here ya go--http://www.facebook.com/pages/Urban-Tree-Care-Inc/370629587386

This was a 115' euc. 90 ton crane. 176' of boom for the whole job.
I can post some here but I just opned a Bud!
Jeff :msp_tongue:

Oh, here ya go--C:\Users\Jeffery\Pictures\WB-9-2-11 euc

Managed to mig myself a nice weldor's tan on this project. Installed side wall pockets, and a rear receiver hitch on the old triple axle prior to painting.

progess2.jpg

Running for lumber this weekend in between stump grinding to build 23" sides up and around.

Installed a mini boom. Dad got this for me for my birthay years ago when I was grabbing motors and transmissions for my 4x4 truck projects. I was supposed to put it into a truck bed, but found a better use for it. Not to take the place of a loader, but we run across plenty of jobs where there are only a few chunks you don't even want a couple of guys handling. Why bring a loader for a few chunks? This should save some space and weight from time to time even when I get a mini. I'm not sold on it entirely, just have to see how it goes. I mostly got sick of watching it do nothing and it might be a selling point when I upgrade to a dumper next year.

progress.jpg

Almost done with the Ford, a work box behind the cab and a winch bumper are all that is left to install. Need to figure out some signage for the rolling billboard.

progress3.jpg

This one's for treevet: she's grinding just fine.

stumpgrinding.jpg

I've just been too busy this summer to finish these projects up, glad to push off a few gigs that I'll need this stuff for and catch up on stumps with a few removals worked in from time to time. I'm still a couple days behind on estimates and bids, but a fall push is in the works like last year. Highs in the 70's this next week will be perfect timing!

Looking at a 16 foot flatdump Mack Midliner this weekend with 100k on it. Just like my chiptruck, actually the same seller. This one is a 2000. Nothing like a cab over for tight spots.

Nice Stiener hauler biggie!:biggrin:

Not sure it could handle the grandeur, and a big rear loading ramp. Then where would I put the wood with the moon rover tires taking up all that space?

No, no, all a lowbrow like me can hope for is a lowly dingo, and indeed I'll easily be able to side load wood over the walls. It will also fit snugly up front if I build some small curbside ramps. Really, I'm just dolling it up to eventually sell and upgrade to a dumper.

I may have a setback in the dingo hunting though; we might be relocating to an 19th century farmstead a few miles from here in a few weeks. Large pillars greet you at the entrance of a long lane with a row of walnuts and leads back to a large yard full of trees. There are plenty of outbuildings and a concrete lot to have as a wood lot. The large four bedroom house is nestled in amongst the trees with 3-4 acres of timber. An arborist's oasis in a desert of corn and beans. Looks like I may need a utility loader than can accomplish many different tasks after all, but I wouldn't waste a dime on a steiner. I had access to a John Deere 955 4x4 with a loader, backhoe, and a 6 ft. deck that mowed like a dream for a few years. I might end up buying it off my old landlord, I might as well, I put the majority of the hours on it myself.

Stuff looking real nice Ryan. Glad that grinder is working out for you. What is the capacity of that 3 axle lowboy trailer?

Thanks, I'm working at it. Being able to just go grind is just as nice as I thought it would be, just having it gets you stumps. I welded a receiver hitch on the back of the lowboy where they had a wagon hitch to allow the grinder to tag along (or a log splitter) on short runs around the area. Not going down any highways.

I was told that the axles are rated for 7k apiece, but the 10 ply d range tires are rated just under 2k apiece, so until I get new tires, I'd say just under 12k is a safe enough max, and won't likely go too much higher when I do get the higher range. I've had it stacked higher than the sides will be with various green logs that I took to the mill a few years ago. Pulled great, no troubles.

I estimate that I can handle roughly two cords of cut and stacked firewood, or a decent load of fresh cut wood. I'll be dropping by the elevator scales to get an idea where I am at on a few loads. My dimensions are 19'x77.5"x23". I won't stack too much higher. Again I tend to take it easy down backroads for a bunch of good reasons, growing up as a farmboy, and driving a truck for 10 years keeps me happy and humble to stay off the main roads. We have a nice network of hardly used county highways, and main county roads. No point in using the state roads when you can wave at the farmers and do just as well.

Looking at a 16 foot flatdump Mack Midliner this weekend with 100k on it. Just like my chiptruck, actually the same seller. This one is a 2000. Nothing like a cab over for tight spots.

Cab overs used to make me nervous, but anymore I'm not in a hurry to worry about it, I've watched a few on ebay this past year.

Eating lunch, setup on a nice easy blow down, my crew is at 90hrs this week, most of the company is over 90hrs. Horrified to see what payroll is going to be this week

Eating lunch, setup on a nice easy blow down, my crew is at 90hrs this week, most of the company is over 90hrs. Horrified to see what payroll is going to be this week

Sounds great. Sat hear having breakfast, been up all night with the worst toothache ever, wife is giving me $hit about something, the kid downstairs has his music blasting out already....I just want to get along with people this weekend, its not a big ask

Sounds great. Sat hear having breakfast, been up all night with the worst toothache ever, wife is giving me $hit about something, the kid downstairs has his music blasting out already....I just want to get along with people this weekend, its not a big ask

Sounds like a potentially highly combustable situation.

Spent 6 hours in 90 degree heat forking pine debris from a 7 tree job. Full dump truck. My wife called and told me I spent $250 buying a pie at the pie auction at the local county fair. For 250 bucks I could have hired someone to fork pine crap.
Phil

Latest posts

Back