whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
invoices offset payroll, me likey!!!

Mine too. Less todays F up. Simple leaner over secondary, 60 year old secondary come to find out. No prob brushing it out, first log cut snags the line and pulled it against the pole breaking the drop and the neighbors drop and shorts out the primary for the road. Some days you just aren't supposed to make money I guess.

i don't know about the 90 hrs on Acrew back home but i was down in central park in nyc again from sunday morning at 5am till we wrapped it thursday night. 12-14hr days down there. man, do i love that park. i cannot believe there is that bastion of beauty smack dab in the center of that craphole that is the big apple. we did some pretty cool things. took out the elm that grew right out the middle of "tavern on the green" and making the butt cut was no joke. surround by glass never mind the 3k+ leader that was growing about 2ft off the slate roof. monster oaks manually near the tennis courts. hey dave, that brand new bull line is toast! lol. piling up dead ash trees in the path up by blockhouse 1. 20k elm butt logs it was a good time. we/i did it all, from pruning off rope to bucket truck takedowns and even though i got lost and ended heading south outta town on the way out..... driving a big truck pulling a chipper was probably the most harrowing experience i had while down there this time.

officially one hundred degrees yesterday. high of 85 today and high of 69 mon. busted ascs all last week and was gonna take off sun. and mon. but out to dinner last night with wife and get a call with a giant oak limb broke and hanging over a garage 20 miles away (website hit).

Went to check it out and, hey, make a grand leaving at 9 30 this am and back before noon? Why not? winter's a comin. make hay..... and i wanna buy more and more "stuff"

cheers all, happy holiday weekend

Gotta go look at what sounds like another gay little job in a bit here. Man am I sick of the little ones hanging over me. Had a couple cool days out of the storm, but it looks like it's time to deal with the crap jobs now. Oh well, at least they pay when you add em up.. good to have the trucks out there too I suppose.

Just got in from looking at one of the easiest storm calls I've had this year. Good size co dom ash hung up in a maple leaning towards a house. Easy climb and rig out, nothing under it. Said he had 5 guys look at it and I was the first one who told him I would do it. Kinda wondering who these local morons are that call themselves "tree guys". I like my bucket, but sheesh, if you can't climb and rig you ain't ####.

i don't know about the 90 hrs on Acrew back home but i was down in central park in nyc again from sunday morning at 5am till we wrapped it thursday night. 12-14hr days down there. man, do i love that park. i cannot believe there is that bastion of beauty smack dab in the center of that craphole that is the big apple. we did some pretty cool things. took out the elm that grew right out the middle of "tavern on the green" and making the butt cut was no joke. surround by glass never mind the 3k+ leader that was growing about 2ft off the slate roof. monster oaks manually near the tennis courts. hey dave, that brand new bull line is toast! lol. piling up dead ash trees in the path up by blockhouse 1. 20k elm butt logs it was a good time. we/i did it all, from pruning off rope to bucket truck takedowns and even though i got lost and ended heading south outta town on the way out..... driving a big truck pulling a chipper was probably the most harrowing experience i had while down there this time.

We heard nothing but great feedback on the work you guys did in NYC. You missed a good time up here, two weeks with out a day off, starting with a nice 17 hr day on saturday before it even started, Marlon grew up a lot this week (climber in training, in justin's absence he stepped in) even got to do his first tree that was on Fire, in the dark. 7am-midnight, no standby time makes for a nice long week.

We heard nothing but great feedback on the work you guys did in NYC. You missed a good time up here, two weeks with out a day off, starting with a nice 17 hr day on saturday before it even started, Marlon grew up a lot this week (climber in training, in justin's absence he stepped in) even got to do his first tree that was on Fire, in the dark. 7am-midnight, no standby time makes for a nice long week.

What kind of light setup do you guys use in the dark? I did a maple from the bucket last Sunday at 11:00 pm with a dinky little headlamp and it sucked ass.

Just got in from looking at one of the easiest storm calls I've had this year. Good size co dom ash hung up in a maple leaning towards a house. Easy climb and rig out, nothing under it. Said he had 5 guys look at it and I was the first one who told him I would do it. Kinda wondering who these local morons are that call themselves "tree guys". I like my bucket, but sheesh, if you can't climb and rig you ain't ####.

Must be nice living in Pansyland!

Around here we got numerous crackheads that would have been all over that scene! lol.

Sold a nice cash at the end of the job day for my morning estimate... better than a sharp stick to the eye anyway.

Must be nice living in Pansyland!

Around here we got numerous crackheads that would have been all over that scene! lol.

Sold a nice cash at the end of the job day for my morning estimate... better than a sharp stick to the eye anyway.

lol. Doesn't always go like that. Got way outbid yesterday on a medium difficulty climber over a fence and between 2 houses. I really got to come up with a tactful way of finding out who these guys are that I'm bidding against.

What kind of light setup do you guys use in the dark? I did a maple from the bucket last Sunday at 11:00 pm with a dinky little headlamp and it sucked ass.

good LED headlamps help a lot. every set up in the dark is different. Headsets for the whole crew on the crane crew makes it a lot easier. the climber wearing a head lamp in the dark can make for some good comedy, you can tell where the climber is looking while he is in the tree. you know its a "cute" pick when the climber looks up, down then right back at the crane giving me the "wtf look"

lol. Doesn't always go like that. Got way outbid yesterday on a medium difficulty climber over a fence and between 2 houses. I really got to come up with a tactful way of finding out who these guys are that I'm bidding against.

"outbid" meaning you were low and left a lot on the table or you were too high?

Remember the one who's bucket you looked into back a ways? Word is he's bidding at $1000 a day now. For that, you get a 70 footer (rear mount elevator), 14" chipper, a couple mexicans and a rock monster/real bad vodka alchoholic, old white guy (waiting to go to jail) running the show. Most of these people don't care, it's all about price! Then he can't pay the stump guy.. wonder why! :confused:

I miss the way things used to be, but I gotta survive somehow, so I just keep doing what I can.

H
"outbid" meaning you were low and left a lot on the table or you were too high?

Too high. I bid it at $2K for one climber and two groundies, full day, all manual, no dingo access either. Some other guy bid $1200. I really hope the guy eff's it up as this job is for the sister of a good client of mine that I do not want to lose.

H

Too high. I bid it at $2K for one climber and two groundies, full day, all manual, no dingo access either. Some other guy bid $1200. I really hope the guy eff's it up as this job is for the sister of a good client of mine that I do not want to lose.

Sounds like the other guy went for a straight $50 per man hour.
Jeff

H

Sounds like you were shooting for a cakewalk. lol.

See, if you came in at $1400-$1500, they might have gone with you regardless of a few hunge.. just saying.

H

sucks, would you have wanted the job at $1,100? Sounds like a good amount of work, and your price sounds right. We have run into this a lot with this storm work, yesterday we did a midsize oak tree that blew over ontop of a huge garden. The customers were retired and spent a lot of time working in this garden. The tree was cracked about 10' and still attached and laying horizontally over the garden, very little damage to anything most of the tree was supported by several large branches. We gave them a good price since we had three other jobs in the neighborhood that day, they were insulted, a local hack landscaper who just bought a chipper and added "tree service" to his name was well less then half our price. We ended up with the job after educating the customer on the added value of using us. We set the crane up and pulled the tree out in three picks, didn't even bend a blade of grass in the yard, the local hack had said something to the customer about a bobcat. there wasnt even enough room to walk thru most of the this garden, I actually wish he had done the job, it would have been a great opportunity if we could video the property before and after he did the job and use it to educate potential customers.

H

What will you do if you knew who it was , I gave up asking along time ago , if you confront them directly you may get something that you don't want or on the other hand asking the HO makes ya look like a crook, best thing with bidding is price the work for what you want as the bottom line price no haggling period.... Theres nothing new going on now prices have always been all over the place here , the only thing is there is alot less of it ....I will tell all who ask what my prices are ,makes no difference to me one bit ... And the Local guys here know that I am not ashamed of anything I ever get ..

Last edited:
Sounds like you were shooting for a cakewalk. lol.

See, if you came in at $1400-$1500, they might have gone with you regardless of a few hunge.. just saying.

Honestly 1500.00 for a three man crew is decent .... Not great 18 or 19 would be nice ...Bartlett which I guarantee had alot more overhead than anyone on this site will send out a crew for 1400.00 to 1700.00 a day ...And I know for a fact because I have friends in the local branch here in Barrington

Good for you man and I could only imagine the traffic down there with a truck and chipper ....MONEY MONEY MONEY checks will be nice for a few weeks to come and I am thrilled the guys are thrilled and it couldn't have come at a better time following a less than stellar summer and a questionable winter on the way ..

Back