whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly 1500.00 for a three man crew is decent .... Not great 18 or 19 would be nice ...Bartlett which I guarantee had alot more overhead than anyone on this site will send out a crew for 1400.00 to 1700.00 a day ...And I know for a fact because I have friends in the local branch here in Barrington

Sounds about right to me. I was going to attempt to go for $1600 this year.. that was before the bottom fell out (seems to have anyway) though. Now I guess all I can do is fluctuate my prices a bit more than normal, depending on difficulty, rather than a blanket rate. Win some, lose some, I guess.

Sounds about right to me. I was going to attempt to go for $1600 this year.. that was before the bottom fell out (seems to have anyway) though. Now I guess all I can do is fluctuate my prices a bit more than normal, depending on difficulty, rather than a blanket rate. Win some, lose some, I guess.

I youst to get almost double that for a 5 man crew me included , now Its just not that anymore , but all my #### is mine I have very little overhead less than what I cam make in a decent week , so I can deal with low prices much better than someone with debt up to there chin so thats why I just laugh now , I spent 9k for a stump cutter engine and a engine for the pumpkin that is the firs real money I have spent for almost a full year

I youst to get almost double that for a 5 man crew me included , now Its just not that anymore , but all my #### is mine I have very little overhead less than what I cam make in a decent week , so I can deal with low prices much better than someone with debt up to there chin so thats why I just laugh now , I spent 9k for a stump cutter engine and a engine for the pumpkin that is the firs real money I have spent for almost a full year

I got exactly a year left on my bucket, then I'll be in the truely low overhead boat again (but with a ton of ####). I'm gonna shake another major problem the same month too, coincidentally. Just gotta make it through. Something tells me this winter is gonna be real tough though. I payed my chipper off this month anyway..

Edit: that still don't mean I'm ever working for no $1000 a day though, like some total washed up loser, tell ya that much. I've been at this way too long to just sell out like that!

Last edited:
I got exactly a year left on my bucket, then I'll be in the truely low overhead boat again (but with a ton of ####). I'm gonna shake another major problem the same month too, coincidentally. Just gotta make it through. Something tells me this winter is gonna be real tough though. I payed my chipper off this month anyway..

Ohh yea there is gonna be a few suckers that are gonna have to decide keep the lights on or pay the cutter payment , it is a liberating feeling to own machines , whats funny for me the month that I paid off that cutter the engine blew ... Its like they planned it that way ..Theres an idiot here that must have made some scratch who just went out an bought a truck and chipper combo just the other day ..and before that he was riding around in a 86 f350 and a 12 inch bandit 290 ..

sucks, would you have wanted the job at $1,100? Sounds like a good amount of work, and your price sounds right.

Frankly...no. This job is gonna suck ass if I get it. There are possible neighbor issues thrown into the mix as well. My price was more than fair, main issue is possibly losing her brother as a client should the yahoo's that underbid me do a good job. I did about $4500 worth of work for him and his neighbors this year and have plans of a lot more as their budgets allow. If this guy is actually good at THAT price I can't see how he won't get the recommendation for more work as opposed to me.

When you get stuff paid off you start looking for newer stuff, better stuff or more stuff. Then you get a bunch that is paid off and some that is owned by the man. Still you are way better off than you were theoretically.

Went out and did that giant hanger right over the garage today. Tied off the hanger with 2 5/8 lanyards spaced then stripped the piece off and boomed brush off the roof then dropped em. Was boomed all the way in the 75' Teco to tie off (tree in the 120' , 4'dia size). Then one hand head locked about 15 150 lb'er's and one hand cut them and dropped em in the double bucket.

Could only do 3 at a time without worrying about hitting bucket cap. with me included. Boomed off the roof and bombed em into the brush pile between the 2 garages bout 12' apart and roof to back fence the same space distance. Got drenched to the bone when I started and a second time when I cut the fattest part loose to hang on the 2 lanyards.

Took a chunk off the swinging hanging cut free fat stem (headlocked again) into the bucket , then got the bucket under the piece and took the last piece hangin by the 2 ropes and boomed up and got the approx. 500 lb piece right into the bucket next to me which loosened the tension of the lines so I could untie them. Boomed down the huge honker very carefully as figged I was at max cap. then when got near ground....cut a piece off and tossed it overboard.

Raining so hard and booming thunder and lightning I just left the rest of the honker and drove home with it in the bucket. Guy on back patio watched the whole deal and just shook his head and smiled (another old timer like me).

Pulled up rigs and drove home with 1k check at 11 30 am.

Didn't wanna take away gm's day off so we had a little fun solo.:smile2:

Phone rang at 7am and it led me to this oak. When you cant get your cars out....well...I guess it starts to seem like an emergency. Is one I guess. Had my helper meet me there and he had his GF with him so we put her to work to! She did pretty good. The more I think about it....I shoulda took her picture instead of this boring oak. But Its all I got. Except for a check for 1000. It was worth it ....even on a Sunday morning. I know the HO sure appreciated it.View attachment 197773View attachment 197774

Yes, next time get pics of the GF... :D

Did half of an entrance on a development I am working in on Friday. Could have done it all but was informed that the HOA was not going to pay me til Tues... So we only did half and knocked off for beer and wings. Had to rope climb a huge Pin Oak yesterday and pull hangers... Hungover... Been awhile since I have climbed hungover... It sucked.

Got to go look at a large dead removal tomorrow, finish up the vista prune for the HOA Tues., then go look at a 5 pine removal job if I can squeeze it in Tues... If not then Wed..

Frankly...no. This job is gonna suck ass if I get it. There are possible neighbor issues thrown into the mix as well. My price was more than fair, main issue is possibly losing her brother as a client should the yahoo's that underbid me do a good job. I did about $4500 worth of work for him and his neighbors this year and have plans of a lot more as their budgets allow. If this guy is actually good at THAT price I can't see how he won't get the recommendation for more work as opposed to me.

well than do it for 1100.00 is it worth the 900.00 to lose the ref. for one and maybe some issues with the family in the future .. I mean you need to decide is a quick buck worth a slow possibly long loss of work from a good ref. I would work for free before I would allow someone to beat me up with something that I wanted ... Ihave done work for the cost to me at times to prove that I won't allow some dirtbag to take what they haven't earned .. and you know what I guarantee that you will feel ok about it ... Welcome to the wonderful world of self employment there will be days when you drive home with less than you left with but you haven't given up any ground .. you'll learn with time ....

Last edited:

That's part of it I guess, but I'd encourage you to stick to your guns, as they say. Otherwise people start to get the idea that you're willfully over charging and/or they can start to dictate price. If someone snakes it, so be it. He may or may not fare well, and even if he does this time, it doesn't mean he'll always get by without troubles. Or for that matter, want to do it for that much less in the future. It will catch up with him one way or the other.

We've got to run our own race.

The city is trying to play me against their resident tree guy. He's been raking it in for years at their expense on an hourly contract, but now that I'm about town doing good work for less, they are after me to bid. No one wins the race to the bottom. They put an ad in the paper and only got one bid....his. Funny thing was that he was so worried that I was going to get it, he bid way low and made an azzz out of himself in front of the whole city. They say that they’ve never seen him so low, now what do you think they are thinking?….yeah.

I didn't know a thing about it until my wife got bum rushed by council members wanting to know why we didn't bid. (There is actually a bit of a conspiracy to get rid of him.) When I heard what his bid was and looked at the work to verify, I told my wife to let them know I would never be that low. I've already politely explained to the superintendent that I'll be happy to bid anytime, but I don't expect to get it very often, I'm bidding to make money.

So while he’s bogged down shooting himself in the foot for pennies on the dollar, what am I busy doing? That’s right, I’m making money and enjoying my integrity.

Next bid that comes in for the city I’m going to be high and send a message to him and anyone thinking that they are going to pit us against one another into poverty. I’ll give his old rates credibility and thus lift us both up around here. There is enough to go around, why be peasants?

Last edited:
Well, I just returned from Cold Springs, Minnesota. Dropped my first born off for college. Hardest thing I have ever had to do. Damn, they really do grow up fast. For u guys with little ones, hug them while u can.

My town, like Biggie's, has a resident tree man embedded in it for years, but unlike his, it is a huge company....Davey Tree. I have done sporadic work for the town but only the hardest removals and most dangerous you could imagine. Raped em on em too I don't mind sayin.

Maybe 30 years ago they took on a "consulting" arborist. Then she got hired by Davey (very tricky, that co.). Since then they might as well have put an office for them in city hall. They do all the tree planting (thousands of trees and from their nursery), all the tree work and now all the fertilization (way more than nec) and latest all the eab treatments (they recommended and they do without any bids even tho it is way over the min needed to obtain bids).

Being on the UFB in town for past 5 years I have poked at this relationship and the injection of mass quantity of pesticides in the ground right next to the sidewalk (eab) for years with no end in sight. Their recent reply??...............

They decided to disband and eliminate the Forestry Board!

Not the type to lay down in a fight, I/we are going to city council meeting in a couple of weeks and raise some havoc, and an article will appear in the local newspaper when I get it done this weekend.

Davey came in at $500. per day with a bucket and a guy but they were slow as molasses and the Maint. boss was quick to point out how cheap they are while I pointed out how slow and inept they are. Then he points out how much I and other co.s charge during storms (and hurricane) when I got a crane in the mix and we all get the most difficult and dangerous jobs.

City work rarely pays well. Best off to get yourself in the high bid gene pool. Get a bunch of clients that do not even get second bids because they know you are good and knowledgeable and............most important......they really LIKE you.

Stay small and live and exist in the high bid pool and when a commonly known tightwad asks for a bid (usually the term is "I am getting [some] bids on this job") ...I usually decline and say I am too busy rather than take the bad press that can find its way to your prize clients.

I've checked into local towns bidding and this is typical, actually this one seems a bit high. The most recent I saw was much lower than this. http://www.viennava.gov/Town_Departments/bidsums/bsumIFB08-07.pdf just did a quick search and this one came up.

No Thanks, not that we could handle doing a big work schedule for them but I wouldn't want to tie up resources to do this crap for that cheap.

I've checked into local towns bidding and this is typical, actually this one seems a bit high. The most recent I saw was much lower than this. http://www.viennava.gov/Town_Departments/bidsums/bsumIFB08-07.pdf just did a quick search and this one came up.

No Thanks, not that we could handle doing a big work schedule for them but I wouldn't want to tie up resources to do this crap for that cheap.

I can just imagine people's comments from different areas of the country. I've worked some in N VA though and know what you are saying.

those prices dont seem to bad, I am not familiar with your area at all, but those numbers would good up in our area. The key is you have to be very efficient to make any money on these contracts

Latest posts

Back