whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I underbidding my work here? Pruned 4 trees today for storm damage and large dead wood, 1 60' red oak over a house, and 3 red oaks each close to 100' tall. Charged $50 per tree... should I be asking for more?

I hope that was a joke.

It's that lack of respect that keeps me coming back. See it's like this, I don't like being bullied, so that thing that you would most like me to do I will not.

You and your sidekick ran off treevet with your inane, illiterate, and juvenile bullchit and you two, above all others, are what drags this forum down into the gutter. So I stay mostly to annoy you and others of your ilk.

But on topic; today I started another "Estate" job. There's so much work there that I just offered the guy a daily rate. Today we trimmed a large Oak, taking down two major limbs. We also dropped two very minor scrub trees and hauled all the tops back into the woods with the Steiner. We cut up the major rounds for firewood and stacked it for him.

I'm taking tomorrow off (snow forecast) and then back to the estate on Thursday to drop an Oak in bad shape. We'll be going back there all month, and maybe part of March. A job like this is money in the bank whenever I need it. Also another major job came in from an evaluation I did last week so I'll try to get that in next week.

Now I know you sweethearts will be calling BS on that, so I'll offer $300 cash for any real climber (you can bring your own ropeman) to come and work with me for a day. I'll even shoot real good video for you and post your work here. Maybe you can teach me something valuable about climbing. I'm willing to learn.

In the likely case that no one here is up to it I'll shoot some video and you'll have to suffer the pain of watching a sixty-something do the work you wish you had this time of year.

Alright Aerial Mason serious question. What expertise, training or education do you posses in order to make evaluations on trees? Gut feelings don't count. I would be curios to know how many of your "evaluations" result in the tree being cut down because its "dangerous".

I'm here to learn. By costs I mean everything that it takes to run a legit operation. I'm in a high tax bracket and I have to put about a third of every job just to cover that and the accountant who manages it.
So you can understand : it would take you and lee 3 days of meth making in the convicts kitchen to pay him for 1 ......8 hour day of tree work , hope that clarifies things for you.

Alright Aerial Mason serious question. What expertise, training or education do you posses in order to make evaluations on trees? Gut feelings don't count. I would be curios to know how many of your "evaluations" result in the tree being cut down because its "dangerous".

You know what qualifies him to give evaluations? You know why customers trust him? its the fundamental fraud and lie of him and his company. His self proclaimed sales gimmick. People hire the "Aerial Arborist" thinking they are hiring an Arborist. They think they are hiring a professional. They think they are being responsible homeowners by choosing an Arborist. Then a smooth talking older man shows up and they feel at ease. When the "Arborist" suggests "mortaring" a tree they think they are doing the right thing.
His company is a fraud starting from its name. He could educate himself and provide service that would accurately match the name of his company but he doesn't. That is why he is hated here.

Really, when I think of some of the snake oil BS I have heard it is fricking hilarious what some people will go for. Don't get me wrong, I try to read and learn but certainly don't know it all. If I don't know something for a fact I just keep my mouth shut about it. If a client asks me something that I do not know, I tell them so and research it for them to find the answer.

I have seen and heard some crazy #### out here. I knew one guy who was going through neighborhoods selling people on pressure washing the moss off of their trees. I had one client who told me she had an old tree guy who worked for her and said he would shove some kind of pills in to beetle bore holes. She loved the guy and only went with me because he had gotten too old to sell snake oil and work... And whoever sold that person on cow poop, LMAO!!! I mean it is just too funny to me sometimes!

Uh Oh, Angie is not going to like that review if she googles it up under Aerial Arborist...

That is a really good point... I have actually helped him. by calling him "the asinine" it makes it harder for his posts to show up when Googled..... hiding the truth from diligent potential customers...

... I would be curios to know how many of your "evaluations" result in the tree being cut down because its "dangerous".

Actually I try to save more trees than "score" a takedown. For many calls that request a removal I often recommend a thorough deadwooding and pruning problem areas. When I do this I offer a 12 month guarantee to apply the cost of the trimming to a full removal and many people go for that. So far all the trees I have offered that for are still standing.

Having said that, I also do a lot of takedowns because there are a lot of very mature trees that are in truly dangerous condition in this part of the Country. Storm damage also gives me a lot of work. When a tree splits and lands on your shed you know it's dangerous.

This last (2011) Summer I judged a tree dangerous after inspecting on an evaluation. It took the homeowner a couple of days to decide to hire me (getting other opinions). I put it right at the top of my schedule and arrived the next day. As we were getting ready a storm cell blew in and it started raining hard. I told them good luck and don't go near the tree. An hour after I left the trunk split along a crack that could be clearly seen from the ground (the basis of my condemning the tree) and fell on the neighbor's shed while she was on the phone to her insurance company. We came back the next day and lifted it off the shed. Then took the rest down. It cost more money.

To the OP, I got my box of goodies from wesspur yesterday and spent most of today in my large sycamore climbing & mock rigging every possible scenario I was reading about in a rigging manual. Trying to get more proficient with rigging techniques. I didn't cut anything but feel like I learned a lot in the process. Redirects, whoopies, loopies, balancers, pretensioning, rope management, etc.. Even thought about how and where to cut on certain limbs applying what I've been reeding in the same manual. Good times.

It's that lack of respect that keeps me coming back. See it's like this, I don't like being bullied, so that thing that you would most like me to do I will not.

You and your sidekick ran off treevet with your inane, illiterate, and juvenile bullchit and you two, above all others, are what drags this forum down into the gutter. So I stay mostly to annoy you and others of your ilk.

But on topic; today I started another "Estate" job. There's so much work there that I just offered the guy a daily rate. Today we trimmed a large Oak, taking down two major limbs. We also dropped two very minor scrub trees and hauled all the tops back into the woods with the Steiner. We cut up the major rounds for firewood and stacked it for him.

I'm taking tomorrow off (snow forecast) and then back to the estate on Thursday to drop an Oak in bad shape. We'll be going back there all month, and maybe part of March. A job like this is money in the bank whenever I need it. Also another major job came in from an evaluation I did last week so I'll try to get that in next week.

Now I know you sweethearts will be calling BS on that, so I'll offer $300 cash for any real climber (you can bring your own ropeman) to come and work with me for a day. I'll even shoot real good video for you and post your work here. Maybe you can teach me something valuable about climbing. I'm willing to learn.

In the likely case that no one here is up to it I'll shoot some video and you'll have to suffer the pain of watching a sixty-something do the work you wish you had this time of year.

Yawn. Just remember to stay safe out there... we wouldn't want anything bad to happen to ya! ;)

Maybe you can use the proceeds from your big job to buy yourself some real tree equipment. I know I wouldn't wanna be 65 years old with no equipment, no skills, and not a single clue WTF I was doing... sounds like a rough road. Best of luck with that!:laugh:

As far as the vet thing goes.. well I would ask you to not speak of things that you have no clue about, but we all know that would be asking too much!

Again, stay safe out there #######!!!

Last edited:
Actually I try to save more trees than "score" a takedown. For many calls that request a removal I often recommend a thorough deadwooding and pruning problem areas. When I do this I offer a 12 month guarantee to apply the cost of the trimming to a full removal and many people go for that. So far all the trees I have offered that for are still standing.

Having said that, I also do a lot of takedowns because there are a lot of very mature trees that are in truly dangerous condition in this part of the Country. Storm damage also gives me a lot of work. When a tree splits and lands on your shed you know it's dangerous.

This last (2011) Summer I judged a tree dangerous after inspecting on an evaluation. It took the homeowner a couple of days to decide to hire me (getting other opinions). I put it right at the top of my schedule and arrived the next day. As we were getting ready a storm cell blew in and it started raining hard. I told them good luck and don't go near the tree. An hour after I left the trunk split along a crack that could be clearly seen from the ground (the basis of my condemning the tree) and fell on the neighbor's shed while she was on the phone to her insurance company. We came back the next day and lifted it off the shed. Then took the rest down. It cost more money.

You didn't answer my question. I asked what formal training or education you've had to evaluate customer's trees and not what services you provide. Really though you did answer the question. You've had none. Take care of yourself Aerial Mason because I feel you are headed for a big accident. I hope not, but all the cards point to it.

I love this site!

Yesterday I was rigging down an oak, and found myself laughing about one of Jeff's posts that said "he's not nearly as bad as the old lawnmower guy". Just one of those moments where I should have probably been more concerned with the task at hand, but then realized treework is easy for me, and I love my job!

Oh, and I got to play with the slingshot and wraptor... and the all wheel drive rear mount the day before! :cheers:

Its sounds to me like you should have posted as follows: we were slow as hell , I basically begged for this job and sat around waiting for a phone call, and when she called she jumped right on it knowing there was good chance of rain but needed money so bad you said #### it .. I am not fooled by you buddy....

Last edited:
Its sounds to me like you should have posted as follows: we were slow as hell , I basically begged for this job and sat around waiting for a phone , and when she called she jumped right knowing there was good chance of rain but needed money so bad you said ####it. and heres your best friend saying good morning .. I am not fooled by you buddy

Lol, yeah right! I mean why no pics of this.. what, was the film crew all strung out back at the Meth house or some ####?? And I wonder what he used to "lift" this tree off of this supposed shed... surely not the Steiner, cuz if that was the case, that shed had bigger issues! Lmfao.

Good for You ...

To the OP, I got my box of goodies from wesspur yesterday and spent most of today in my large sycamore climbing & mock rigging every possible scenario I was reading about in a rigging manual. Trying to get more proficient with rigging techniques. I didn't cut anything but feel like I learned a lot in the process. Redirects, whoopies, loopies, balancers, pretensioning, rope management, etc.. Even thought about how and where to cut on certain limbs applying what I've been reeding in the same manual. Good times.

You can learn a lot from books and even on the internet if your willing to search and wade through a lot of BS in tree forums. Having said that, practical application of any book learned techniques is essential before you put yourself in a situation that could result in damage or injury.

In my own most recently posted video I give a good example of how not to do it when I let a major limb crush a chain link fence. Had I properly rigged that limb to swing where I needed it to go I wouldn't have hit the fence. A simple overhead swing line would have done it, or in more critical situations where failure is not an option, a spider line (like a giant whoopee sling)
could have set to hold the limb horizontally while it swung to a safe landing.

Care must be used when you have a lot of load on your rigging system. A loaded rope can crush you or burn off your arm if caught like I did in this video: (I get bit by being in the bight)

[video=youtube;Knmld9Em6PU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knmld9Em6PU[/video]

So that is how not to do it, or more accurately where not to be when you make the cut. Mistakes can be painful, and you don't even have to be in the tree:

[video=youtube;kypHmmh0WiU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kypHmmh0WiU[/video]

You seem to have a good attitude and are willing to get out and put the time and effort forward to build your skills. Good luck in your endeavors and always stay alert, develop a situational awareness about where you are and what you are doing. And above all stay safe and avoid shortcuts that could put you, or the men working with you, at risk.

Now enjoy the chitstorm that will follow this post.

blow on this tube mds ...

Lol, yeah right! I mean why no pics of this... And I wonder what he used to "lift" this tree off of this supposed shed... surely not the Steiner, cuz if that was the case, that shed had bigger issues! Lmfao.

I used my gas powered capstan winch to lift it enough to get it pulled off with a tagline on the Steiner. I don't take the video equipment on all the jobs I do. Most times I just want to get the work done and get out.

And really MDS was this really needed?

"was the film crew all strung out back at the Meth house or some ####??"

I run a drug free workplace, and addicts, whether it's drugs or alcohol don't cut it with me. I'd give you a breathalyzer test every day if you worked for me.

Last edited:
Sitting in the hospital. My wife got admitted last night. Her arm swelled up out of nowhere, guess its a big blood clot. Waiting to get some answers, she's getting a catscan now. Don,t know much at this point and the waiting is killing me. God I wish I was up a tree and this was not happening to us. Just don't get it, she doesn't drink or smoke she exercises. This just sucks

Sitting in the hospital. My wife got admitted last night. Her arm swelled up out of nowhere, guess its a big blood clot. Waiting to get some answers, she's getting a catscan now. Don,t know much at this point and the waiting is killing me. God I wish I was up a tree and this was not happening to us. Just don't get it, she doesn't drink or smoke she exercises. This just sucks

SJ, hope you find out soon and all is well.

Latest posts

Back