whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta ask.

What is the false crotch above the GRCS for?

A redirect? To feed the line straight into the GRCS?

227621d1331081897-gcrs-jpg

Gotta ask.

227621d1331081897-gcrs-jpg

Yeah, that tree had a pretty good lean opposite the GRCS. I was surprise Jared put the device on that side of the tree. He must have been keeping it in line with the pulley though i think it would have worked OK on the other side where the tail of the lowering line came down. I am just glad I didn't spike his new climbing line.

I don't know what kind of climb line it was, it worked fine, but the lowering line was quite stiff and tricky to set a bowline in.

Thanks Dan. I searched another thread and found the answer to my question before I could get back to this thread.

"It is also recomended that a block be placed over the fairlead so that you have a proper angle coming into it. I do this as a matter of course; if the rope is not coming in at a near zero angle, it gets a fairlead pulley or carabiner over the fairlead bar." - JPS comment on the GCRS.

I may have to buy one of these this summer.

Anyone try one with a Sthil gas drill. - may save buying a wraptor.

I put the pulley in to make sure the rope was inline with the top of the gcrs. It actually didnt need it, but it was there, so i used it when we were just lowering smaller branches as a redirect. It was funny when a couple of the piece actually whet up when cut the whole way threw. I decided to put the GCRS on that side because of all the poison vines on the other side. It was really the only part of the tree that had bark. Wasnt my favorite place to put it but it didnt move, and nothing hit it.

The rigging line is actually half of a new 300' piece of 1/2" kermantal rescue rope. I got it really cheap. Like $40 for $300'. It is a little stiffer, but it is rated for 9,900 lbs mbs.

I gaffed out while dropping a large Pine top over the Summer and got a huge friction burn on my forearm. It sucked. I was getting used to using 5/8 bull line instead of my 3/4 which absorbs a lot more energy. Plus I was working with a green groundy who did not let it run... But on the other hand he did not let it go either... which would have been worse. :yoyo:

Sometimes the work load must be held in place and a ride must be taken... I kind of like the ride... It's kind of what got me hooked on this work to begin with... :msp_w00t:

How did you get the burn? I sometimes get a little nicked up on my forearm when i hug the spar, I always wear long sleeves and I never look as bad as the groundies.:laugh:

Anyone try one with a Sthil gas drill. - may save buying a wraptor.

In order to use the gas drill to run you to the top, you would have to put a block in the tree first. I would think it would put a masive amount of friction on the crotch if you tried to just false crotch it. It would work great if you can down to take a break and then had to head back up, using the rigging line and block.

I put the pulley in to make sure the rope was inline with the top of the gcrs. It actually didnt need it, but it was there, so i used it when we were just lowering smaller branches as a redirect. It was funny when a couple of the piece actually whet up when cut the whole way threw. I decided to put the GCRS on that side because of all the poison vines on the other side. It was really the only part of the tree that had bark. Wasnt my favorite place to put it but it didnt move, and nothing hit it.

The rigging line is actually half of a new 300' piece of 1/2" kermantal rescue rope. I got it really cheap. Like $40 for $300'. It is a little stiffer, but it is rated for 9,900 lbs mbs.

I figured you had your reasons. Yeah I was impressed by how quickly you were able to crank them things up, I was not expecting that entirely. When the one broke it jumped a few feet!
I haven't come across I tree that I needed to lift like that in awhile. That tree was one that needing lifting, it would have been a lot harder without that cranker upper.

In order to use the gas drill to run you to the top, you would have to put a block in the tree first. I would think it would put a masive amount of friction on the crotch if you tried to just false crotch it. It would work great if you can down to take a break and then had to head back up, using the rigging line and block.

yeah it beats the piss outta a rope if you don't set it up right. i have seen guys do it regularly and frown on it. I tried it once years ago on a wide smooth barked tree and didn't like it. The way i do it I can be in a system while the pull takes place on just the tail of it.

On something like we did today i would have went up the rigging, getting pulled. I could have easily tied into my climb line for back up but we tend not to use shoddy rigging equipment.

I had 5 guys tell me they would pull me up a tree, we set a pulley and they tried but couldn't even get me off the ground. It does take a good amount of power to lift a climber.

A lot of people say its dangerous getting pulled up. I say what isn't? Like that tomale in the bar. If she hadn't of left i would have been getting beat up by her boyfriend and drinking martinis right out of the bottle. I am gonna have to get back up there.:msp_thumbup:

Ricky Tree set up his GRCS to pull him up, I think he had good results.

Gotta ask.

i have a couple of those CMI blocks, i love them..i use them for all kinds of re-directs, also it with a 9/16 stable braid for everyday rigging.

sorry i am still new this whole forum thing.

Gotta ask.

i have a couple of those CMI blocks, i love them..i use them for all kinds of re-directs, also it with a 9/16 stable braid for everyday rigging.

sorry i am still new this whole forum thing.

Yes, to keep it staight to GCRS.

Back up to post 15370 and 15371 on previous page

Paul

Got a couple of estimates later this morning. The phone just started ringing yesterday afternoon. Two calls within an hour or so. I hope it keeps up, can't take much more of the shop!

The estimates don't sound like anything great, but it shows people are thinking again.

It's starting to pick up here too, got a few new calls this week. I can't believe what a mild winter we've had. Gonna be 65 and sunny today

Yeah mild winter, last summer was brutal. I can only imagine this years; anyway be fun shedding the winter coat :hmm3grin2orange: Well ya'll have a good un, time to go not be able to hear fore lol:cheers:

Last edited:
Back