whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got to tell ya, I've had a lot on my mind lately. I've been having fun but Thank God I chose a profession where I can stay fluent... For the time being anyway. I mean, you guys who have been in it awhile know... It's nothing to go out and hustle a grand in a couple of days...

When I do go to work and I get set up in the tree in the early morning and look out over the city... It would absolutely kill me if I couldn't get up in the morning and do that... If you love to work in the trees like I do, and I know most here do, It's a scary thing to think that your health could rob you of that. That's when you realize how lucky we are to make our lives in the trees... And how much you love it and would miss it...

Yeah I would just die to not do the work. Some of these guys dream about the day they can sit in the office or the bid mobile all day long ....not me...and I could do it. I look around all the time and am just boggled what this profession has given me and my fam. I am very thankful.

It brings to mind a few years ago on AS when a treeman's wife asked if anyone could help her paralyzed husband just get up in the tree one more time since he could not use his legs. People came forward and he did it and it was great to witness....and everyone understood the whole gig.

Yes, I remember that. That was awesome.

Don't worry, I'm not throwing the towel in yet, just going through some scary times right now. When it comes right down to it, yeah the money is good, probably won't ever get rich... It's the climbing and the life in the tree that really does it for me. Don't get me wrong, I love the money but there is so much more to it than that. If I couldn't climb I'd just as soon be dead.

NO WAY!!!!! I GOT THE LITTLE PUKE!!!!! I have about a 4 second video of the bear. I would say he is about 400 pounds!!!!! It may take me some time to get it to the computer but YES I GOT HIM!!!!!!

Installed the fire place. Had to cut the whole in the roof and mount the cheminey. All done. Oh and installed a night vision camera, gotta get a video of this stinking bear that keeps getting into my trash.

Don't be surprised if it is not moved all the bears I have photoed messed around with the camera! One ripped it off tree, I found it thirty yard way with the lid opened up and scratched up! At first I thought someone stole my cam lol:cheers:

I got to tell ya, I've had a lot on my mind lately. I've been having fun but Thank God I chose a profession where I can stay fluent... For the time being anyway. I mean, you guys who have been in it awhile know... It's nothing to go out and hustle a grand in a couple of days...

When I do go to work and I get set up in the tree in the early morning and look out over the city... It would absolutely kill me if I couldn't get up in the morning and do that... If you love to work in the trees like I do, and I know most here do, It's a scary thing to think that your health could rob you of that. That's when you realize how lucky we are to make our lives in the trees... And how much you love it and would miss it...

Dern friend I had just a 3 month spell that was that way and did not know if I would be able to do the climbing thing ever again but three months later and in extreme pain I climbed and climbed until the pain went away. I still have pain from my mangled shoulders but I still can climb. I understand in a lesser way take care friend:cheers:

Just picked up another nice big check this morning.. now its time to drop some dough on the cab and chassis for the big chip truck I've been saving for.. :)

What do you guys think: 2002 international 4300, dt 466 215 horse, fuller six speed, 410 ratio rear, 26000 gvwr, air brakes, and under cdl. 157k miles, $15k.. with the frame shortened like it needs for a 14' chip body, its another $1500. The frame has been blasted and painted too. This is from a reputable local dealer.. all serviced and road ready and dot bleh, bleh, bleh.

Site looks sharp Jeffels. How long have you guys been TCIA accredited? Is it helpful? How was the process?

Pro's and con's,eh? Worth it ? Absolutely, I could not believe the moral boost in the guys realizing they work for a company that cares about them and their safety. The process was pretty tough. I felt like OSHA was watching all day. Lots of paper work and verifications. I think it depends on where you live and market. We are 1 of 4 accreditted companies for the entire area. When a "request for proposal" comes out, you would be better off having OSHA and TCIA on your certs. The process? It took about 7 or 8 months. Once you are in, they are in. I posted some pics on our Facebook page and got a notice to have a safety meeting on "staying in the cone zone", over a pic I posted of a euc we dropped across the street. I had to explain that we had traffic control. Weird, but, oh well. If you do pursue this, you will spend alot and gain more. BTW, I repeat again and again (TV, Rope, 101, et all) I am in an office maybe 2 hours a week and on the clock more than ten hours a day and anything my guys can do, so can I. Don't dis me for wanting to manage guys and make their life better. I am an in the field guy.
Jeff :)

Just picked up another nice big check this morning.. now its time to drop some dough on the cab and chassis for the big chip truck I've been saving for.. :)

What do you guys think: 2002 international 4300, dt 466 215 horse, fuller six speed, 410 ratio rear, 26000 gvwr, air brakes, and under cdl. 157k miles, $15k.. with the frame shortened like it needs for a 14' chip body, its another $1500. The frame has been blasted and painted too. This is from a reputable local dealer.. all serviced and road ready and dot bleh, bleh, bleh.

Damn good truck!. Good for golf courses too. We got one in the inventory and love it. We did have a problem with a sensor. Throttle positioning I think that at times would cause the truck to have no response to the throttle. Took a while , but our mechanic fiqured it out because Dion International don't wanna help out our mechanic, duh. Good truck tho! :clap:

Damn good truck!. Good for golf courses too. We got one in the inventory and love it. We did have a problem with a sensor. Throttle positioning I think that at times would cause the truck to have no response to the throttle. Took a while , but our mechanic fiqured it out because Dion International don't wanna help out our mechanic, duh. Good truck tho! :clap:

Thanks for the input jeffers.. any thoughts on chip bodies? I was thinking arbortech utv maybe, but thats only 5' high. I really want the extra foot the high capacity bodies have.. and still a removable top. Schodorph (or whatever the spelling) might make one, but it wont be able to convert into a flat bed (I dont think).

Thanks for the input jeffers.. any thoughts on chip bodies? I was thinking arbortech utv maybe, but thats only 5' high. I really want the extra foot the high capacity bodies have.. and still a removable top. Schodorph (or whatever the spelling) might make one, but it wont be able to convert into a flat bed (I dont think).

I would not go bigger than a 10 to 15 yard dump. The wheel base is a factor which makes it good for golf courses. Dang good truck not matter what you do!

I would not go bigger than a 10 to 15 yard dump. The wheel base is a factor which makes it good for golf courses. Dang good truck not matter what you do!

I was thinking closer to 22 yards.. but I could be thinking a little extreme I suppose. Lol. Whats this about the wheelbase factor and golf courses, dont quite get it. I'm gonna wind up with about 179" wheelbase, 102"-108" cab to axle.

I was thinking closer to 22 yards.. but I could be thinking a little extreme I suppose. Lol. Whats this about the wheelbase factor and golf courses, dont quite get it. I'm gonna wind up with about 179" wheelbase, 102"-108" cab to axle.

179" wheel base is dang near 15 feet. I am talking about staying mostly on the cart path.

did five jobs yesterday being the new foreman. still relatively new to climbing, but boss is cool about safety and going slow until im a little more used to the work and working up to bigger jobs. did a 55" white pine removal, easy, a 20' birch and 30' maple-straight fall, small austrian pine, small russian olive over a pond, and big broken limb on a cottonwood... pretty stoked on the opportunity and ready to go!!

Pro's and con's,eh? Worth it ? Absolutely, I could not believe the moral boost in the guys realizing they work for a company that cares about them and their safety. The process was pretty tough. I felt like OSHA was watching all day. Lots of paper work and verifications. I think it depends on where you live and market. We are 1 of 4 accreditted companies for the entire area. When a "request for proposal" comes out, you would be better off having OSHA and TCIA on your certs. The process? It took about 7 or 8 months. Once you are in, they are in. I posted some pics on our Facebook page and got a notice to have a safety meeting on "staying in the cone zone", over a pic I posted of a euc we dropped across the street. I had to explain that we had traffic control. Weird, but, oh well. If you do pursue this, you will spend alot and gain more. BTW, I repeat again and again (TV, Rope, 101, et all) I am in an office maybe 2 hours a week and on the clock more than ten hours a day and anything my guys can do, so can I. Don't dis me for wanting to manage guys and make their life better. I am an in the field guy.

We just like to give you a hard time Jeffy. :)

Latest posts

Back