whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Catching up on phone business today... And recovering from my DR.s appointment. My tongue is so sore I can barely talk. Got to give two bids tomorrow. A small job and a whole apartment complex. I've actually got two apartment complexes to bid now. I walked the other property last week and need to submit a written proposal. To tell the truth, I'd rather do the smaller jobs than the complexes. The complexes are competitive bids, have to do a lot of computer work to itemize, price and type up a formal proposal; And then your have to wait for it to go through corporate HQ for the go ahead. And then you're not even sure to get the job. The money is slow to be paid, you get bogged down in a spot for maybe a week and you have to carry payroll and expenses. But hey, it's work.

Catching up on phone business today... And recovering from my DR.s appointment. My tongue is so sore I can barely talk. Got to give two bids tomorrow. A small job and a whole apartment complex. I've actually got two apartment complexes to bid now. I walked the other property last week and need to submit a written proposal. To tell the truth, I'd rather do the smaller jobs than the complexes. The complexes are competitive bids, have to do a lot of computer work to itemize, price and type up a formal proposal; And then your have to wait for it to go through corporate HQ for the go ahead. And then you're not even sure to get the job. The money is slow to be paid, you get bogged down in a spot for maybe a week and you have to carry payroll and expenses. But hey, it's work.

Yeah my golf course work is like that two weeks sometimes three before you see a check. I have to admit at times the bank account can't sustain it so I try to schedule in the good times so the wait does not get me down.I hope your ok MD the only thing we have is our health so far I am holding out ok hope all that brake dust and fumes and rough early living does not hit me hard until I have health insurance man it stinks to be my age and without it.

Thanks buddy. I'm gonna keep plugging away until I can't do it anymore.

To tell the truth, I would normally be gung-ho on the big jobs. I am hesitant to take one on now not knowing what the future brings as far as doctors and treatments. I'd hate to get halfway into one and not be able to finish because of surgery or something like that. It's the uncertainty that sucks. I suppose I will go ahead and bid them to get them though. My guys need to work... Not to mention I need the money to keep up my lavish lifestyle... ;)

Last edited:
the 4115gmk was parked at the end of this little dead end rd. we were working for 3 houses on it.

first pick of a rather good sized pine went off at 10k and the butt was 12.2k. biggens. gotta love when the first pick has to have a couple logs cut off and moved by the grapple chipper.

i had time to take a couple pics of the first tree but then it was off to the races after that. but i don't have my phone on me so i can't get to them right yet.

ok here's the thing. how absolutely redamndonkulous is it to be able to pick 5k and up over a 110 plus feet and do it comfortably.... carefree even.

today was just a silly day for me crane wise that is. we just came in and dominated the area.

i've climbed off this donkey for like 4 overall days and i gotta say yes it is an absolute pleasure to have the time yes indeed and i look forward to the next go round but it isn't very exciting overall...... nothing is out of reach of this thing if the setup is right.

lol

this pic is yesterday. sweet.

Hey md, Do you do a one time bid for all the trees or do you suggest to them a three year maintenance plan with different species done at different times. What about winter and summer prunes? Some trees every year and some every two or three years. You can help them budget better and they call you during emergencies.
Jeff :)

Hey md, Do you do a one time bid for all the trees or do you suggest to them a three year maintenance plan with different species done at different times. What about winter and summer prunes? Some trees every year and some every two or three years. You can help them budget better and they call you during emergencies.

Most of the properties I look at need a lot of work initially. I will go in and spend about a week most times getting everything into shape then put them on the maintenance plan. I have a condo complex that I have been maintaining for three years now. I had to spend about a week getting that place in shape initially. I have had to do several onesies and twosies on removals over the past few years. I spray their trees every year as well as fertilize and prune as needed. Mostly to keep them off the shingles. Most of the pruning on that property has been deadwooding. I did contract a certified arborist to come in and do storm restoration there after a big ice storm.

awesome truck.

Well, I've never been to Oklahoma, so maybe we'll come to you. My 4runner just rolled over 200,000 miles on this trip and I have no doubt she'll hit 300k eventually. I gotta get a ragtop though. We lucked out during this trip without a lot of rain but that could get pretty miserable pretty quick on a long trip.

I gotta get mine back on the road.

I take it you don't like the hard tops? I have a couple spare ones if you need one.gonna junk a lot of runner parts before I move back to Tennessee this winter.

You gotta SAS that thing!

Sounds like you got it down. That's all I was asking.

Believe me, I could afford to have it down a lot better. I like to think I'm a pretty decent tree man but I have room for improvement when it comes to management. I'd like to have a data base to manage all of my accounts. I do have that account logged in my computer but I'd like to do the same with all of my past accounts. Who has time to set and type in all of that data though.

I have looked at the arbormaster software. Looks like a pretty good program but it's expensive. Seems to me you could create your own data base. I'm no computer guru though. I am going to have to break down one of these days and hire someone to help me with the books.

I gotta get mine back on the road.

I take it you don't like the hard tops? I have a couple spare ones if you need one.gonna junk a lot of runner parts before I move back to Tennessee this winter.

You gotta SAS that thing!

Thanks. I got my hardtop but we went balls to the wall on this trip and risked getting wet. Had plenty of tarps and straps along to cover the gear of course. I found a nice folding soft top at softtopper.com for about 700 bucks. Good reviews from the guys on yotatech too. Will probably get one soon enough. What you got for parts laying around? SAS stuff?

Thanks. I got my hardtop but we went balls to the wall on this trip and risked getting wet. Had plenty of tarps and straps along to cover the gear of course. I found a nice folding soft top at softtopper.com for about 700 bucks. Good reviews from the guys on yotatech too. Will probably get one soon enough. What you got for parts laying around? SAS stuff?

Excues me for being toyoignorant what is sas?:monkey:

Sorry Rope!

Excues me for being toyoignorant what is sas?:monkey:

SAS is a Solid axle swap. 86 and up mini trucks had IFS (independent front suspension) with torsion bars.great for the street but sucks for off roading.You basically cut the IFS crap off the frame,find a solid front axle,buy or make leaf spring hangers,and get to welding.Hi Steer kit is also recommended.

I haven't done one of these in 2-3 years.No one up here will pay for the labor and I ain't doing it for free.

I did my 88 4Runner and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I have tons of stuff.

I have one solid axle left and and one empty housing.I have a lot if interior parts,doors,and mechanical parts. switches ,relays,computers,sensors too!

that sounds like a good deal for that top.Can-Back was the best but expensive.I heard they were back in business under new ownership.

SAS is a Solid axle swap. 86 and up mini trucks had IFS (independent front suspension) with torsion bars.great for the street but sucks for off roading.You basically cut the IFS crap off the frame,find a solid front axle,buy or make leaf spring hangers,and get to welding.Hi Steer kit is also recommended.

I haven't done one of these in 2-3 years.No one up here will pay for the labor and I ain't doing it for free.

I did my 88 4Runner and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Lol mine are already solid no need of swap lol. I have a dana 44 out of early bronco prolly be a good swapper ehhhhh?

Not even for a tree brother, man? C'mon... lol If you got the parts and tools to do it up right shoot me a pm and give me an idea what you'll need money wise. If I don't do it my bro may want his 93 p/up done, or just let me know what you want for the axle and I might try to tackle it myself.

Not even for a tree brother, man? C'mon... lol If you got the parts and tools to do it up right shoot me a pm and give me an idea what you'll need money wise. If I don't do it my bro may want his 93 p/up done, or just let me know what you want for the axle and I might try to tackle it myself.

I think you guys can PM, right?
Jeff ;)

too wide!

Lol mine are already solid no need of swap lol. I have a dana 44 out of early bronco prolly be a good swapper ehhhhh?

you could have it shortened.I tried to forget as much about Fords as possible but you need to make sure the differential is on the right side or you will need a clockable transfercase.

Back