whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, those are some big euc's !
Jeff, what was the cause for dying off so fast?

There was alot of mushrooms near the base. The landscapers removed the ice plant from the base out to about 3 feet a month ago. It look stressed then, and went back today to see this. No boring pest evidence. Probably a species of ganoderma.
Jeff

Jeff, how long before it would become too dicey to climb it? I am tired of climbing dead Elms...

Lucky for us, it is still freshly dead. I spent time looking for any kind of pest I could find. Nada, nothing.. Look at the trees beside it. Wonder whats going on. Not gonna rig out of it. Crane at 7am, too many targets.
Jeff

Jeff, how long before it would become too dicey to climb it? I am tired of climbing dead Elms...

A healthy elm is way more sketchy then a freshly dead euc. From those pics its got years before you would need a crane. With that football field for a drop zone most guys would have that tree on the ground before the crane got set up. Good on Jeff for making it easy on the crew though.

Went to the post office today to hopefully pick up some payments... did get a couple checks in. I've got this one guy who is burning me for about $500. So the tree that we removed the other day with the crane... it had a 4K stump that I'm saving. When I went to cut it smaller, found steel 4 or 5 times in the lowest 5' of log. Somebody is gonna have a real blast when that shows up in their driveway.

A healthy elm is way more sketchy then a freshly dead euc. From those pics its got years before you would need a crane. With that football field for a drop zone most guys would have that tree on the ground before the crane got set up. Good on Jeff for making it easy on the crew though.

Mr. Holden, That tree is over three house's. On a slope that is irrigated regularly. Those mushrooms could be wood decaying fungi. No football length nothing here. I will post some pics tomorrow. We will not wait until it has been dead so long it makes it more of a hazard. This is a HOA and they are being responsible. Beside's I wont have the guy's guy's rig out of a dead tree with all those target's. Way faster to have a crane.
Jeff

I wish I could use a crane more often. Heck, how about the "easy" button that you put on the tree and push it and kablamo wood chips. :biggrin:

Finished this four leader monster of a Silver today. My buddy didn't think I would have gotten as much done yesterday when I didn't get up in it till 2:30. I took big bites! Glad the wood firewood stayed!

Mr. Holden, That tree is over three house's. On a slope that is irrigated regularly. Those mushrooms could be wood decaying fungi. No football length nothing here. I will post some pics tomorrow. We will not wait until it has been dead so long it makes it more of a hazard. This is a HOA and they are being responsible. Beside's I wont have the guy's guy's rig out of a dead tree with all those target's. Way faster to have a crane.
Jeff

Everything looks easier from pics, but the backside looked to have alot of open green and from the looks of it it's just as solid as the surrounding trees. I have limited experience with eucs being that im in the pnw. The few descent sized cider gums I have climbed felt very solid, even with little to no bark and long vertical cracks. Good on you though for taking the safest path possible.

Everything looks easier from pics, but the backside looked to have alot of open green and from the looks of it it's just as solid as the surrounding trees. I have limited experience with eucs being that im in the pnw. The few descent sized cider gums I have climbed felt very solid, even with little to no bark and long vertical cracks. Good on you though for taking the safest path possible.

always found eucs good to work with, strong and predictable....terrible to prune in the rain though. Good luck with that job Jeff

Lucky for us, it is still freshly dead. I spent time looking for any kind of pest I could find. Nada, nothing.. Look at the trees beside it. Wonder whats going on. Not gonna rig out of it. Crane at 7am, too many targets.
Jeff

Hey Old Swede. I saw the pics of your Euc. Does it have any vertical oedemas? Long fissures in the bark that look like the bark shrunk somehow? Oh and if you didn't already get some, any chance of a fruit picture so we can put a name to it?
:msp_thumbup:

Tractor winch was pretty impressive on this one. I would have taken more pics if I knew it was gonna go so well. I wish I got one of the lean before we stood it all the way up.. you get the idea though, and you can see the tree it was laying on/hanging over playset.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice Job MDS, I have to say I was a lil disappointed that you used a John Deere.......there is a guy down my way who has a steiner mower.......would of uprooted that SOB & dragged it to next xmas while slip scooping logs along the way!!

LXT....................

Nice Job MDS, I have to say I was a lil disappointed that you used a John Deere.......there is a guy down my way who has a steiner mower.......would of uprooted that SOB & dragged it to next xmas while slip scooping logs along the way!!

LXT....................

Lol. Thanks. It was a pretty cool job. Tree was already lifted quite a bit in the second pic. From there I went in and took some more weight off (roped off the big lead on the left), then got down and pulled it right out of the other tree. Pretty cool... honestly, I never thought we'd be able to pull it that far. Once cut down to the ropes, I just backed the tractor up, and it stayed up on its own. Had to lock in the hubs on the bucket and six wheel out of the woods, then just flop the butt. Nice easy day playing with the toys, and had total control at all times... the kind of job that makes you feel like a pro.

Back