whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rain this morning so I went out on evaluations today. Booked a $2k job for this Friday on my first stop, and left $3400 in quotes at two other evaluations. This is pretty good for this time of year, and my A-List "Honor Roll" ad hasn't even gone out yet.

For the second year in a row I've been given the A-List "Super Service Award" (2010 & 2011) so this will help a lot with instant credibility for my customers. Today for example I bagged a $2k job unopposed. They don't even bother to get other bids. All I have to do now is live up to my reputation and exceed my customers expectations.

At least you weren't the guy complaining about the cold. It didn't look that bad out to me, you didn't even have hat on.
At what part of the river did they do down? I don't recall to many rough spots on it in that area and am trying to imagine what could have happened. I could see a solo boater having problems but I have been through a good amount of running water, sometimes solo, with two guys someone at least should know what happened.
Did they find the guy's boat? By now he's probably dead... or squealing like a pig. Not to sound crass but like I said: Two guys go in, one comes out ???? :msp_confused:
That is really not a river a person could have a whole lot of problems on, unless they were doing a storm run, then, well, you better be a real good paddler and even a better swimmer. Maybe the guy took a dunk by a bridge pilon, got sucked down and stuck in a shopping cart? Playing around a dam?
Good effort on your part.:msp_thumbup:How did you hook up with the gig?

They went down about a mile below where rt 372 crosses over the susquehanna river. The river runs pretty fast there because the water has to go around alot of island, and you have the dam discharge and also the muddy run resevar dicharge right there. Its only about 10-12 feet deep where the guy went under, but really turbulant. You have to hang onto the steering wheel of a motor boat pretty good so you dont lose control. The two guys went out to go camping on the island around 10:30 pm sat night. They got into the rapids and one guy back paddle to correct his steering and it dumped him. That guy didnt know how to swim and he is the one that died. The other guy that made it tried to rescue him, but the other guy dumped him also. They were childhood friends, now both in there 20's. The water runs about 15-20 mph in that area. I have been a volunteer fireman since 1998, and when i am not too busy i run calls and help out.

I made the news looking for the guy that was kayaking. I am driving the boat.
[video]http://www.fox43.com/videogallery/67735442/News/1/30-missing-kayaker-update[/video]

boat seemed to be listing to the left a little... sad story ty for volunteering

Last edited:
They went down about a mile below where rt 372 crosses over the susquehanna river. The river runs pretty fast there because the water has to go around alot of island, and you have the dam discharge and also the muddy run resevar dicharge right there. Its only about 10-12 feet deep where the guy went under, but really turbulant. You have to hang onto the steering wheel of a motor boat pretty good so you dont lose control. The two guys went out to go camping on the island around 10:30 pm sat night. They got into the rapids and one guy back paddle to correct his steering and it dumped him. That guy didnt know how to swim and he is the one that died. The other guy that made it tried to rescue him, but the other guy dumped him also. They were childhood friends, now both in there 20's. The water runs about 15-20 mph in that area. I have been a volunteer fireman since 1998, and when i am not too busy i run calls and help out.

Awesome! I would like to help out with the FD but I would probably be more of a liabilty.
Like I said: you have to be a good swimmer if you want to go "boating". In my mind the kid should not have been in the water if he didn't know how to swim.:confused: I never went out without a helmet and a vest and that is what bothers me about this accident.

We used to paddle the Sus. Just south of the Pequea dam. Once or twice I volunteered for rescue duty ( which was needed like every 5 seconds). You would just hang out on a rock with a rope which was anchored to an eyebolt there. It was a give and take sort of deal.
When my wife was pregnant I got rid of my boats.

You got to get a pic of these " rapids" cause I know that river pretty well. Its wide and slow. Well at least til Pequea it is. There are some quicker spots but mostly wide and slow through Lancaster Co. And where its rocky and swift its not deep. So this kid musta been up to something. Like a non-swimmer paddling in the dark.

Usually, when you are floundering helplessly trying to get to dry land and you would see someone come by you would try to grab their boat. They would beat you off hollering" don't touch my boat! Don't touch my boat!" And for good reason.

I saw one guy with his head tore open from dunking and he had his helmet.

My friend was caught against a rock, I hit shore and tried to yank him but couldn't, couldn't get myself purchase and didn't have a rope. He was able to claw his way off and around and float down a little to where he could get out. We picked up his boat a few miles later. He stopped paddling after that.

The whitewater boats have a skirt that keeps water from getting in, its very tight and in panic mode some people have a problem getting out, sometimes you just can't reach the release tether. If you are stuck and filled with water yer dead.

I took my whitewater boat in the ocean a few times. People said I was nuts and I saw their point. You get tired very fast in moving water( especially with a water logged boat in tow, them things are exspensive), I myself have thought to just give up .

Once I dunked and hit my head on a rock, had a helmet but still felt fuzzy.

One time me and another guy went out in a canoe, had to chop through ice, got logged under a dam and lost the keys to the shuttle car. I remember the look on the guy's face when we were stuck under that freeezing cold water fall. Looked like this:msp_sad:

I can't look at fast water without it getting my heart rate up. But I had to give it up cause 1. I have a family now and 2. It hurts. If you ever smacked yerself across the face with yer own paddle then you'd know all about it.

Awesome! I would like to help out with the FD but I would probably be more of a liabilty.
Like I said: you have to be a good swimmer if you want to go "boating". In my mind the kid should not have been in the water if he didn't know how to swim.:confused: I never went out without a helmet and a vest and that is what bothers me about this accident.

We used to paddle the Sus. Just south of the Pequea dam. Once or twice I volunteered for rescue duty ( which was needed like every 5 seconds). You would just hang out on a rock with a rope which was anchored to an eyebolt there. It was a give and take sort of deal.
When my wife was pregnant I got rid of my boats.

You got to get a pic of these " rapids" cause I know that river pretty well. Its wide and slow. Well at least til Pequea it is. There are some quicker spots but mostly wide and slow through Lancaster Co. And where its rocky and swift its not deep. So this kid musta been up to something. Like a non-swimmer paddling in the dark.

I prefer to keep things tree related, but this might save someones azz. I'm a raft guide in my offtime and run lot of snowmelt rivers and have a good bit of experience with cold water.. Mike Phelps in lifejacket probally wouldn't make it in the wintertime swimming in a river without a wetsuit. Hypothermia doesn't care about your swimming skills you got about 5 mins max. Lost a good friend in the same situation.

Well it was yesterday. Not planning to nib, I took the dog for a walk. Down the block a couple of my neighbors had some tree work done. I had really noticed it a few days before because of all the debris on the street. Looking around, it didn't look likd a big job. One moderate sized tree had been topped. Another removed completely. They left big ruts in the yard next to it. Quite a bit of the grass was completely buried in sawdust and other junk. I say it was a shabby job no professional would have done. Do I expect too much?

I really feel sorry for those professionals that have to compete with butchers.

A good day for me, fell tight quarter trees next to house, 3 in front and 4 backyard, climbed one right over roof, everything went scary good, all down and chipped, like it.

Going back tomorrow to trim 3 cedars and one more climb, removal over detached garage

012.jpg

031.jpg

053.jpg

Do I expect too much?

I really feel sorry for those professionals that have to compete with butchers.[/QUOTE]

No, don't sweat it thats not my competition.

Rain this morning so I went out on evaluations today. Booked a $2k job for this Friday on my first stop, and left $3400 in quotes at two other evaluations. This is pretty good for this time of year, and my A-List "Honor Roll" ad hasn't even gone out yet.

For the second year in a row I've been given the A-List "Super Service Award" (2010 & 2011) so this will help a lot with instant credibility for my customers. Today for example I bagged a $2k job unopposed. They don't even bother to get other bids. All I have to do now is live up to my reputation and exceed my customers expectations.

I think we have recently seen just how much that award means.

That Angie List Super Service Award is based on how much ass a guy can kiss and that's all and I ain't never even been close to even looking at Angie or her stupid ass list. Why the #### would I? Why the #### would anybody? Don't answer, its rhetorical.

No more angies list bull **** and price quoting. I want to see cousin lee hit a trailer or that stiener moving some kindling, every tool has it's place.

A good day for me, fell tight quarter trees next to house, 3 in front and 4 backyard, climbed one right over roof, everything went scary good, all down and chipped, like it.

Going back tomorrow to trim 3 cedars and one more climb, removal over detached garage

012.jpg

031.jpg

053.jpg

Nice woodsy! way to break in that new gear.

Latest posts

Back