whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its been a long week. We did do some really cool jobs with the new crane.
View attachment 290325
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151582710050446.1073741833.277283385445&type=1

placed a frightening order with liehberr on Friday, just normal PM stuff, set of filters and 10 gal of their special syn 37 weight hyd oil and 12 tubes of their grease for the auto greaser... we knew what we were buying from the start but even ready for it, $4000 for that order still hits you funny.

Saturday we were working on a great job, flying through it, would have been done by 130ish, until all the rotation bolts broke on the rotation motor on the chipper. its happened to all of them, we change them out with grade 9s and never have a problem again, woodsmen is aware of the issue and promised us they changed the design and it wouldnt happen again but they are too ####ing cheap to use 4 grade 9 bolts instead of 8s. shouldn't have been an issue except instead of using a nut and a bolt like they have in the past they threaded the holes in the motor mount it self so every bolt needs to be extracted... :angry: should have gone in today and fixed it but didn't have it in me
View attachment 290332
oh well handfed chipper for one of the crane crews Monday. and a fun night of extracting hardened bolts Monday night

The difference in price from an 8 to a 9 is negligible in comparison to the cost of these particular units. I find that to be infuriating, as it is obviously not an isolated incident.

misjudged the height of a spruce stick and broke a sidewalk :(

That's about what happened to me , I knocked down a 9ft piece of knotty silver maple , and my crash pad log flipped up and waffled the back of a shed , wasn't bad nice little dent and crack , I stopped work and went and knocked on the neighbors door had him inspect the shed , he was happy with a trade of a stump that took me 20 minutes for the repair . I have made that cut a thousand times and 1001 is a problem...

Last edited:
The head fell off, I needed to remove the trunk. If I used a chipper, it would be a dirty load and palm cost to dump. This way I just put it in the dumpster at the yard,
Jeff :msp_tongue:
View attachment 290315
jeff, no special charges with the palm in dumpster? does it get burn't in a trash to energy facility in cali?

its been a long week. We did do some really cool jobs with the new crane.
View attachment 290325
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151582710050446.1073741833.277283385445&type=1

placed a frightening order with liehberr on Friday, just normal PM stuff, set of filters and 10 gal of their special syn 37 weight hyd oil and 12 tubes of their grease for the auto greaser... we knew what we were buying from the start but even ready for it, $4000 for that order still hits you funny.

Saturday we were working on a great job, flying through it, would have been done by 130ish, until all the rotation bolts broke on the rotation motor on the chipper. its happened to all of them, we change them out with grade 9s and never have a problem again, woodsmen is aware of the issue and promised us they changed the design and it wouldnt happen again but they are too ####ing cheap to use 4 grade 9 bolts instead of 8s. shouldn't have been an issue except instead of using a nut and a bolt like they have in the past they threaded the holes in the motor mount it self so every bolt needs to be extracted... :angry: should have gone in today and fixed it but didn't have it in me
View attachment 290332
oh well handfed chipper for one of the crane crews Monday. and a fun night of extracting hardened bolts Monday night
dave, pretty sure auto grease that stewart-warner/alemite uses for their domestic auto lube systems is compatible with liebherr system. stop blocks on rotation motor will solve problem with the shucking back and forth. easy addition.

The head fell off, I needed to remove the trunk. If I used a chipper, it would be a dirty load and palm cost to dump. This way I just put it in the dumpster at the yard,
View attachment 290315

Is there any commercial use for palm logs? Just an idle sunday afternoon question.

View attachment 290315

Looks like one of your machines could chip that but tell me about this dirty load business. What does it matter if you comingle wood chips with palm chips ; Why is palm debris considered so undesirable ?

Steffen Truck Inventory

Here is a nice rearmount that is priced right. Its the same place I just bought my truck, they are easy to work with. If it was in the middle of the season I think I would buy it.

That's exactly what i am looking for. Might send them an email, they by you?

Ya, its in Sioux City, Iowa, thats where im from and do most of my work. I seen the truck in their yard the other day driving by. My uncle is the shop manager and they do good work. All the tree guys around here take their buckets there for inspections and service.

I see you managed to get outta the truck lol, No wait, no pics of you loading ? :)

Trucks today all come from the factory with anti-lock brakes, air-conditioning, blueteeth, seruis satellite, adjustable lumbar support and a little mexican under the seat who jumps out at the push of a button ready to work. My truck had one but the previous owner must have kept it along with the tire jack.

It doesn't decompose.
Jeff

Ever? I would think that would be good for dyed mulch then. Or maybe even playground mulch.

The more I hear about these palms the more I am happy not to have to mess with them. I messed with a few when I was a kid but mainly the ones we could easily pull the dead fronds down to cover the patio with.
I also remember the two kinds of citrus fruit trees you have out there; one was edible, a regular tree and the other was some kind of gene spliced anomaly. Its strange nobody ever mentions them or ever see anybody working on them on this site.

Ever? I would think that would be good for dyed mulch then. Or maybe even playground mulch.

The more I hear about these palms the more I am happy not to have to mess with them. I messed with a few when I was a kid but mainly the ones we could easily pull the dead fronds down to cover the patio with.
I also remember the two kinds of citrus fruit trees you have out there; one was edible, a regular tree and the other was some kind of gene spliced anomaly. Its strange nobody ever mentions them or ever see anybody working on them on this site.

It's not wood,,

dave, pretty sure auto grease that stewart-warner/alemite uses for their domestic auto lube systems is compatible with liebherr system. stop blocks on rotation motor will solve problem with the shucking back and forth. easy addition.

The grease wasn't too expensive.
Not sure if I was clear about the problem with the woodsmen. Its not a stop issue

Latest posts

Back