whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is it that you and the people you work for talk about when you all get together for a meeting? The topic of money never comes up? Now that would be weird.

" Don't them fool ya or try to change ya or rearrange ya"

Bob Marley circa 1973

We talk about who is going to be on the cover of our calander. :msp_biggrin:
Jeff

What I make is vetween me and the guy writing the check. Life is just simpler that way.

This is true. I was simply asking because admittedly, I've been out of the loop for a while, and the fact that she literally called me back less than a minute after I sent the email and hired me tells me that she was given pricing way over what I gave her.

This is true. I was simply asking because admittedly, I've been out of the loop for a while, and the fact that she literally called me back less than a minute after I sent the email and hired me tells me that she was given pricing way over what I gave her.

Its only true because you want it to be true. But the truth is that everybody allready knows and that whole ideaology is a fallicy. If one doesn't know what things cost, where the money is coming from and going to then I suppose he should just be happy to get what ever he is given. I mean you know... right? Well then there you go, point proven Jeffers. Save yer subterfuge for yer employees.

Its only true because you want it to be true. But the truth is that everybody allready knows and that whole ideaology is a fallicy. If one doesn't know what things cost, where the money is coming from and going to then I suppose he should just be happy to get what ever he is given. I mean you know... right? Well then there you go, point proven Jeffers. Save yer subterfuge for yer employees.

I have to disagree to some extent here. I started my own tree service partly because I found out what the margin of profit can be if you execute efficiently. I would never have figured that out if I wasn't asking how to bid jobs ( what they cost ) constantly during my first job with a small tree service. Out here in the open, being the consummate professionals we are who for the most part are not direct competitors, talking numbers and pricing is of little consequence. Now, if I have a tree service and have some entrepreneurial at heart employees with the business sense and the means to open up their own shop, and I'm telling them what I am bidding and winning jobs for, boom. They jump ship, open up their own shop and start cutting my throat, even if at first they don't realize how expensive this business it to operate. It is exactly what I did to the first business I worked for. So in short, there is a time and place to talk money. It is not advisable IMHO to talk directly with hourly employees exactly what is being billed out on jobs.

I don't think the help needs to know anything about the prices. That said, if you have the kind of help you want, they don't really care anyway, and are just there to work. I do tend to talk about the money too much, though. I've been trying to work on that. I guess it's just where my head is. I kinda have a big mouth sometimes. Lol... #### em, if they can't deal with the fact that I'm trying to make money, I don't want them around me anyway!!

Haha and I as employer would state information is on a need to know basis :)

Speaking of money, I read on here about a guy who "sews" or as he put it hem`s up skirts..............whats something like that cost? LOL

LXT...........

Asking people what a tree is going for in their area is alot diffrent than someone bragging about what they made on a job. Jmho

Agreed. My post was concerning on the site.whether I'm an employee or contract climbing, my compensation is between me and the guy that hired me. No good comes of guys comparing pay stubs.

I have to disagree to some extent here. I started my own tree service partly because I found out what the margin of profit can be if you execute efficiently. I would never have figured that out if I wasn't asking how to bid jobs ( what they cost ) constantly during my first job with a small tree service. Out here in the open, being the consummate professionals we are who for the most part are not direct competitors, talking numbers and pricing is of little consequence. Now, if I have a tree service and have some entrepreneurial at heart employees with the business sense and the means to open up their own shop, and I'm telling them what I am bidding and winning jobs for, boom. They jump ship, open up their own shop and start cutting my throat, even if at first they don't realize how expensive this business it to operate. It is exactly what I did to the first business I worked for. So in short, there is a time and place to talk money. It is not advisable IMHO to talk directly with hourly employees exactly what is being billed out on jobs.

Yer right, some people hear " made 600 before lunch" and are off to the store buying a saw and a set of spikes. And yer also right cause you and me and everybody else talking here is not an hourly employee so talking about money does in fact seem more appropriate than usuall.

Who are you gonna get to climb that tree anyway considering you are now the HNIC?

Speaking of money, I read on here about a guy who "sews" or as he put it hem`s up skirts..............whats something like that cost? LOL

LXT...........

That's right bucko; I sew the buttons, I sweep the floor, I chop the trees and beg for more. I fix the roof and eat the tang and you can get off of my wang.

I gotta say though it does warm my cockles to know that when I speak you linger on every word. Now go fing yerself a boyfriend or something, yer making me sick.

Here's looking at you kid... and being glad I ain't you.

Last edited:
My only point was that there are workers (people that show up make their hourly rate and don't care what the boss makes), and #######s with their own baggage/agenda and big dreams. I'm only interested in the workers at these days. Wtf do I know though...

I don't think the help needs to know anything about the prices. That said, if you have the kind of help you want, they don't really care anyway, and are just there to work. I do tend to talk about the money too much, though. I've been trying to work on that. I guess it's just where my head is. I kinda have a big mouth sometimes. Lol... #### em, if they can't deal with the fact that I'm trying to make money, I don't want them around me anyway!!

Well considering the help you have yer just lucky to be alive. Look I am not talking about the help here.

Back