whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started this one today. Two trees, pine is a 100yo removal between three yards and a really nasty neighbor who stood under it in protest today. We went in a day before the crane to brush it out a little and make a chip run. I tld the HO if I get anymore of this its 500 an hour idle time. He figured it out real quick. Ill post pics of the good stuff tomorrow. Gotta love working in Cambridge MA!!!!

Your machine is the size bigger then mine

Working with a new guy today. Green as green can be. Started raining in the morning and afternoon, told him start chipping. He asks me "Is it ok to start the chipper in the rain?" I've heard a lot but that one stopped me. I assured him its ok to start the chipper in the rain. I'll give him a week.

I may be a complete and total ass but I don't much care for chipping in the rain myself , the radiator gets caked and you can't just blow it off , the trucks get covered in sawdust and sap! Basically it just sucks ....... I may have asked that question aswell .

I may be a complete and total ass but I don't much care for chipping in the rain myself , the radiator gets caked and you can't just blow it off , the trucks get covered in sawdust and sap! Basically it just sucks ....... I may have asked that question aswell .

It aint trainin, if it aint rainin!!!!

It aint trainin, if it aint rainin!!!!

#### that #### , I draw a circle in the dirt about the size of a mower rim .... As soon as 3or 4 drops land inside of it ...... We're out !!!!! I can smell rain 45 minutes off and believe , I ain't lyin ! :laugh: I've cancelled estimates if its raining too hard ! Nothing worse then a drop in the eye hole

#### that #### , I draw a circle in the dirt about the size of a mower rim .... As soon as 3or 4 drops land inside of it ...... We're out !!!!! I can smell rain 45 minutes off and believe , I ain't lyin ! :laugh: I've cancelled estimates if its raining too hard ! Nothing worse then a drop in the eye hole
LOL, I posted pics up here a few weeks ago doing a job in a blipping monsoon. I had crane out there and little over lawn travel, so tally-ho. Otherwise, I'd probably have cancelled. We didn't even bother wearing WWG, it was that ####ing wet.

Very ordinary day. Clean up some small stuff that fell in the storm, take down a few pizzly dead balsams, but... we had to chip two big piles of branches that had been sitting there for a long time. The top of the piles were fine, but once we hit the middle and bottom, it was stinky, wet, and almost composted. Not only does it chip like #### - it smells like ####.

Bleah! :bulgy-eyes:

And thus our day. Helloooooooo weekend!

Took forever but we finally got it. Did like 60 stumps in day one. stump grinding isn't so bad anymore when i don't have to get beat with rocks and dust. Its fast but wasn't super surprised with the speed took 5-8 minutes a stump on average 20-30 inch stuff.. we did time it to see if the purchase was worth it.

pyvemu6u.jpg

ynase8e7.jpg

naza6e7e.jpg

3esutyqy.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful day. Picked up 2 TINY jobs. Gonna drop an oak tree for one client on Monday morning for $300, should take no more than 1/2 hr. Would have done it today, but I didn't want to go trecking through the brush in shorts. Another client wants me to buzz a forsythia hedge, nothing great... but I'll take it. I was planning to sand and stain some wood posts we installed last week at one house... but the Devil AKA homeowner was there, the woman is nuts. Tried to fix another screw up, but that didn't go so well. We had to plant a 5 - 6' arborvitae for one client a few months ago... told one of the guys to go do it, he came back yes it's done. I should have checked on it better so it's my fault that the job was not done properly... but come on? The stupid ####er pulled off the burlap, stuck it in the hole and walked away. Sucker is half out of the hole still. Gonna have to get her a new tree. Beyond that I got the check I was waiting for... people said it would go out Monday, it was dated Thursday. Helped a friend on one of his jobs to finish the day out... figured better to help a friend than to sit around doing nothing.

Beautiful day. Picked up 2 TINY jobs. Gonna drop an oak tree for one client on Monday morning for $300, should take no more than 1/2 hr. Would have done it today, but I didn't want to go trecking through the brush in shorts. Another client wants me to buzz a forsythia hedge, nothing great... but I'll take it. I was planning to sand and stain some wood posts we installed last week at one house... but the Devil AKA homeowner was there, the woman is nuts. Tried to fix another screw up, but that didn't go so well. We had to plant a 5 - 6' arborvitae for one client a few months ago... told one of the guys to go do it, he came back yes it's done. I should have checked on it better so it's my fault that the job was not done properly... but come on? The stupid ####er pulled off the burlap, stuck it in the hole and walked away. Sucker is half out of the hole still. Gonna have to get her a new tree. Beyond that I got the check I was waiting for... people said it would go out Monday, it was dated Thursday. Helped a friend on one of his jobs to finish the day out... figured better to help a friend than to sit around doing nothing.
How many employees do you have ?

I have 2 morons who are both floaters. 2 seasonal guys (1 summer / 1 winter), and some friends who fill in from time to time.

I have 2 morons who are both floaters. 2 seasonal guys (1 summer / 1 winter), and some friends who fill in from time to time.

You need to fire some mutha ####ers , for real , can't plant a arb? I mean come on ! That just pissed me off and just read a post , you need to handle that #### ....... Swiftly , there are alot of good guys outta work , there is no reason to deal with that kinda nonsense :hmm3grin2orange:

Hire yourself 1or 2 good guys ........#### can the dopes and be with them holding there hands until #### is done right . I have had the same guys for 8 yrs . Eat , sleep , and #### the right way to do a job !

Losing my shirt on a euc removal in Burbank, CA. Should have used a crane.... to make matters worse one of my guys also nipped a window when lowing a branch. It's gonna end up taking 2-3 days instead of one! Also one of my guys lost my $450 log cart off the back of my truck yesterday... When it rains it pours.

HOWEVER, thankfully for every bad one there are lots of good ones. Otherwise I'd be out of business quick!

Saved this cat the other day too. Friendly little guy.View attachment 311053 Wish I could do cat rescues everyday.

Back