whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yer gonna go up in that bucket, smack it against the trunk a few times, get it wedged in a crotch, finally get to somewhere you can actually make a proper cut, set a notch, tie it off, look down and see them shiny fenders right under you and say, " I appreciate the ride up here and all but could someone get this ****ing truck out of the ****ing way?"
Been awhile since the bucket got a good smack... but there are those days the truck is always in the friggin way

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Yer gonna go up in that bucket, smack it against the trunk a few times, get it wedged in a crotch, finally get to somewhere you can actually make a proper cut, set a notch, tie it off, look down and see them shiny fenders right under you and say, " I appreciate the ride up here and all but could someone get this ****ing truck out of the ****ing way?"

Well, if you are gonna be drunk,
get someone who is not,,
jeff

Never did hire another climber but a guy that has loosely became more competition over the past year wants to part time climb (contract) for us for $350 per 8 hour day. The guy is not super good not super bad just an average climber. All he provides is very basic climbing gear. I'm thinking more like $ 250 per 8 hour day. Am I living in the past?

Never did hire another climber but a guy that has loosely became more competition over the past year wants to part time climb (contract) for us for $350 per 8 hour day. The guy is not super good not super bad just an average climber. All he provides is very basic climbing gear. I'm thinking more like $ 250 per 8 hour day. Am I living in the past?

Forget about the money, I think the conflict of interest would prove disastrous.

The guy thinks he is "worth" $350 / day, but might be worth $250 - $275. You lose.
You get him to take $250, and he is only gonna put out $200 worth of effort. You still lose.
Landscraper / property maintenance neighbour of mine hires dimwits and pays them peanuts. The minute he has to leave them alone on the job, the production stops. I contract climb for him a couple times a year. Gong show.

Don't do it,,if you do, you should start a thread on this.
Jeff,,,,,don't do it,,,:cheers:

Good contract climbers around here are getting 4 sometimes (if they are really good) 5 hundred a day. They come with ALL there own equipment including rigging ropes and blocks. They also come with their own proof of insurance. 250-300 a day for an average guy sounds about right, but he shouldn't have to use any of your stuff and should have his own insurance. Without it, if something goes wrong, he'll get labeled as your employee real fast.

I'm so thankful I can cut my own trees. I'm not even saying that to be a smartass. I can only imagine the kind of ******* you could hire for $500 a day. I mean here I thought the regular douche-bag was annoying. lol.

I'm so thankful I can cut my own trees. I'm not even saying that to be a smartass. I can only imagine the kind of ******* you could hire for $500 a day. I mean here I thought the regular douche-bag was annoying. lol.
Good friend of mine locally is 4 a day. He's a beast. You might want to try him out sometime:)

Good friend of mine locally is 4 a day. He's a beast. You might want to try him out sometime:)

Now that I think about it, I can remember getting $400 the few times I subbed like that - of course that was 20+ years ago. Hell, the whale himself paid me $600 a couple times (after I quit and went on my own). That was with my own truck and chipper, but it was only pruning so I didn't really care. So I guess if a guy was desperate (or busy) enough I could see it.

Now that I think about it, I can remember getting $400 the few times I subbed like that - of course that was 20+ years ago. Hell, the whale himself paid me $600 a couple times (after I quit and went on my own). That was with my own truck and chipper, but it was only pruning so I didn't really care. So I guess if a guy was desperate (or busy) enough I could see it.
Can't remember the last time I saw the whale out and about. Is he still going?

How is a guy who is willing to work for $350 a day any competition for your operation at all? I'd pay him that just to keep him tied up a couple days a week so he can't focus on growing his own deal and actually competing.

How is a guy who is willing to work for $350 a day any competition for your operation at all? I'd pay him that just to keep him tied up a couple days a week so he can't focus on growing his own deal and actually competing.

I said "loosely" become SOME competition. But yeah, I see your point. All aside though, this particular character has caused me some anguish on a hit and miss basis. He doesn't have a regular crew...just gathers up who he can when he lands a job of any size but he has ended being the fly in the ointment on several occasions the past several months. He is one of several in this semi-rural area just east of Dallas that are vaguely in business for themselves.

Latest posts

Back