What 50 cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not the Poulan PP5020? $200(or just under) for an awesome saw. Mine's rockin' the job just fine. I'm new to saws as well and was starting to think that if it wasn't Stihl, Echo, Husq, etc. and was a Craftsman, Poulan, Homelite, et al that it was junk. Thankfully, I found AS when looking for info on the PP5020....and am learning each day how vast my absence of knowledge on saws is.

Here's a review from ModifiedMark:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/192321.htm?highlight=5020

the older poulans are real nice, too. There's a 3400 just went up in the classifieds here for one benjamin. Decent antivibe, plenty of power, reliable as..reliable. Pro construction, all metal, but not too heavy to use. If it said stihl or husky on it, it would be like 250-300 bucks, used. (56cc)

Well I would like to thank everyone for their input it was very helpful, I personally feel that after reading them there really isn't much of a difference, other than Stihl = torque and Husky = speed. I am probably just gonna use my John Deere cs52, which has never been fired up, I wanted to sell it, thinking it had some value to it being they are not made anymore but I guess I was wrong so I'll just use that for now, who knows maybe I'll like it, if not I'll just have to go out and get one of the other ones or maybe both. By the way does anyone know if the cs52(efco) has a magnesium crank case.

Last edited:
Well I would like to thank everyone for their input it was very helpful, I personally feel that after reading them there really isn't much of a difference, other than Stihl = torque and Husky = speed. I am probably just gonna use my John Deere cs52, which has never been fired up, I wanted to sell it, thinking it had some value to it being they are not made anymore but I guess I was wrong so I'll just use that for now, who knows maybe I'll like it, if not I'll just have to go out and get one of the other ones or maybe both. By the way does anyone know if the cs52(efco) has a magnesium crank case.

Based on this post, I'd say yes on the mag.case.
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/110118-3.htm

Now that's more like it! You had me going for a bit, there... :msp_biggrin:

Why would I care much about minor details like that, when I don't really care what the different saws cost - and the prices are much higher here, and the price differences much larger, than in the US (or Canada).

Husky and Jonsered saws are by far most expensive here, Stihl is much cheaper - Dolmar is somewhere inbetween, if you can find someone that sell them (as far as I know, only Makita Norway sell them, no dealers). This is about Pro saws, the picture changes a lot regarding lesser saws. Some other indifferent brands brands cost surpricingly much, considering what the saws are. They pretend they are selling pro saws, but that is at best debatable (Efco, Echo, Shindaiwa etc.). :givebeer:

Get up off ya knees and stop that begging, we're not kicking ya hiny that bad, well ok, we are, :big_smile:

Man THALL10326 you did it again; I had to clean my screen again because I was laughing so hard :msp_wink:

Man THALL10326 you did it again; I had to clean my screen again because I was laughing so hard :msp_wink:

LOL, I couldn't resist. Ya know I read this thread and it amazes me how my buddy dislikes the 261 and I'll tell ya why. I was looking at my 261 sales today, sold 59 of them so far. Then I checked warranty claims to see if any 261's I've sold have had any warranty claims, none. Then it dawned on me, I've yet to work on one because I've yet to have one come back for anything. I find it very odd a saw that reliable can be disliked by anyone. True it doesn't have rev boost, auto tune or look like something from outta space but it is and has been 100% reliable. A rock solid reliablity record will outsell all the hoop la in the world which of course the sales record prove..

Last edited:
LOL, I couldn't resist. Ya know I read this thread and it amazes me how my buddy dislikes the 261 and I'll tell ya why. I was looking at my 261 sales today, sold 59 of them so far. Then I checked warranty claims to see if any 261's I've sold have had any warranty claims, none. Then it dawned on me, I've yet to work on one because I've yet to have one come back for anything. I find it very odd a saw that reliable can be disliked by anyone. True it doesn't have rev boost, auto tune or look like something from outta space but it is and has been 100% reliable. A rock solid reliablity record will outsell all the hoop la in the world which of course the sales record prove..

That's a fantastic track record on the MS 261 :givebeer:

That's a fantastic track record on the MS 261 :givebeer:

So far its been awesome. I have folks come back and buy a chain or to get it sharpened and tell me how they love that saw, have yet to get a complaint of anykind on it.

Also looked at my sales on the MS362, sold 37 of those. I did have one of those loose a bottom end bearing due to over reving. Was over 2 years old in heavy use. Made a phone call and bingo, give the man a new saw and send us that blown one, problem solved. I keep a close watch the reliablity trends on what I sell. Its the best indicator I have as to whether a unit is problem prone or not. I think customers take reliablity over all else when it comes to anykind of power equipment.

Has there ever been a 261 break down anywhere? I've never read a single thread of one breaking down on here. They have to be pretty darn reliable, just as the ole 026/260 before them.

LMAO! Buncha newbs. I have a Stihl that may make you change your mind.

Brand bias just doesnt make any sense to me. No one can tell me that Stihl makes crappy saws, nor does Husqvarna. You stick with one brand and you'll miss out on alot of great saws.

The truth is, the 261 is just as good of a saw as any 50cc saw being made. There's no way you could go wrong with one. The 550xp and 346xp are great saws too.

Sorry my friend, that isn't really true, as the 261 is way too large and clumcy to handle for a 50cc saw, and a slow trigger responce, reportedly. I never found it worthy to even try, after I handled one in a shop - which was no surprice after studying how it was built.....:msp_biggrin:

Also, the saw is based on outdated (first generation) Husky "strato" technology, that Stihl was allowed to buy the rights to use.

Holy Cow Tommy, no recalls/or numerous service bullentins, no crankcasebolts coming out, no carb issues, nothing on the introduction of the 261, hard to believe a company could lauch a saw into the market without recalling, or having numerous bullentins in the first few months.
It is hard to believe a company could get it right on the first try. Some companies are stihl learning:msp_wink:
:msp_wink: Almost sixty and no issues, who would have guessed, it's hard, to believe, kinda like ole Troll having a good relationship with any Stihl dealer in the civilized world.

So far its been awesome. I have folks come back and buy a chain or to get it sharpened and tell me how they love that saw, have yet to get a complaint of anykind on it.

Also looked at my sales on the MS362, sold 37 of those. I did have one of those loose a bottom end bearing due to over reving. Was over 2 years old in heavy use. Made a phone call and bingo, give the man a new saw and send us that blown one, problem solved. I keep a close watch the reliablity trends on what I sell. Its the best indicator I have as to whether a unit is problem prone or not. I think customers take reliablity over all else when it comes to anykind of power equipment.

Holy Cow Tommy, no recalls/or numerous service bullentins, no crankcasebolts coming out, no carb issues, nothing on the introduction of the 261, hard to believe a company could lauch a saw into the market without recalling, or having numerous bullentins in the first few months.
It is hard to believe a company could get it right on the first try. Some companies are stihl learning:msp_wink:
:msp_wink: Almost sixty and no issues, who would have guessed, it's hard, to believe, kinda like ole Troll having a good relationship with any Stihl dealer in the civilized world.

This is some fantastic news to hear :msp_wink:

You creamsicle guys are entertaining. Talking up the 261 whilst ringing up the 290. May your coffee be the the way you want it, and your burgers be juicy. Happy Thanksgiving!

Sorry my friend, that isn't really true, as the 261 is way too large and clumcy to handle for a 50cc saw, and a slow trigger responce, reportedly. I never found it worthy to even try, after I handled one in a shop - which was non surprice after studying how it was built.....:msp_biggrin:

Also, the saw is based on outdated Husky "strato" technology.

Thats according to you ole feller, your one person in a world of millions and the majority rules. The 261 may not suit your taste but it sure does many many others. Speaking of that techology can you sit there and tell me that "new" techology your a fan of has been 100% reliable, no you cannot, been many many issues, not hardly the way to roll out "new" techology, :msp_sneaky::msp_sneaky:

You creamsicle guys are entertaining. Talking up the 261 whilst ringing up the 290. May your coffee be the the way you want it, and your burgers be juicy. Happy Thanksgiving!

Too funny, there's about 100,000 homeowners to every arborist and saw buff, what do they buy, a 290, guess that other outfit didn't get the memo, homeowners buy saws too,LOL

Latest posts

Back