What 50 cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Cow Tommy, no recalls/or numerous service bullentins, no crankcasebolts coming out, no carb issues, nothing on the introduction of the 261, hard to believe a company could lauch a saw into the market without recalling, or having numerous bullentins in the first few months.
It is hard to believe a company could get it right on the first try. Some companies are stihl learning:msp_wink:
:msp_wink: Almost sixty and no issues, who would have guessed, it's hard, to believe, kinda like ole Troll having a good relationship with any Stihl dealer in the civilized world.

Heck Springs I've been itching to open up a 261 and see how its put together, guess I'll keep waiting,LOL

Yes its been a great saw so far. I've talked to the guys at Stihl and asked them how the 261 has been doing. Reply back, awesome, no issues to speak of. Thats not to say they won't come up with some sort of change to the saw, they're always looking for someway to improve a unit. So far though the 261 has been left alone, they haven't tinkered with it at all, its right out the box...

You creamsicle guys are entertaining. Talking up the 261 whilst ringing up the 290. May your coffee be the the way you want it, and your burgers be juicy. Happy Thanksgiving!

You mean this saw that pulls a 25" 3/8" b/c ?

DSC_7996.jpg

:jester:

You mean this saw that pulls a 25" 3/8" b/c ?

DSC_7996.jpg

:jester:

It may do it but it doesn't want to,LOLOL Ya know everyone rags on the 290. Yes its heavy for the amount of power it puts out, yes the vib system is outdated, yes it has a plastic/resin engine housing, the air filter gets dirty quick but still filters like its suppose to. To many its hard to overhaul, to some its even hard to work on. To me its a piece of cake to work on or overhaul completely. The one thing you don't hear alot about is how reliable that saw is. It does have a habit of popping fuel hoses but thats a 10 minute fix, no biggie. It starts, it runs and it cuts wood which is all the average user cares about. Its a tuff ole saw too, it stands up to alot of abuse. Thats why it's been a huge seller for almost 20 years now. I've sold 1000's of 029/290's. The green they lay in my hand is just as green on the 290 as it is on the 660, gotta love the 290 when you need to pay ya bills, its does it baby!!!!!!!

Well I love my 261 and loved my 346xp. That said, I do remember running an 029 clamshell that Stumpy built. I DO believe that it would give a 362 and run for it's money... A rancher friend has an 029 that I did a simple M.M./re-tune on; it's snotty and goes though Hedge quite well. I love pro-saws, BUT they're not the be-all/end-all of wood-cutting-dom.

OH; I forgot to say this one has a 390 motor in it :msp_wink:
The 039 my Father and I had also cut more wood than my 346xp and now 261 combined! It was a darn tough saw. It just didn't withstand a burning F-350 too' well... It accounted for the better part of about 180 cords of hard wood and several piss-elm tornado cleanups over about 18 years. It wasn't a "pro" saw, but that's not bad by anyone's reckoning. The only parts that ever broke were the chain break and the clutch housing and that was due to a not-so graceful landing from about 23' in the air...:bang:

Back to the OP's question about a 50cc saw. That wasn't very nice asking a question like " Which 50cc saw should I buy" when you allready have one of the best 50cc runners thats out there. Go run that JD and tell us what you think of it. Then the Troll and the Stihl dealer can get at there turkey and doz off. LOL!!!

Happy Thanksgiving all. I got some guns to shoot!!!

OH; I forgot to say this one has a 390 motor in it :msp_wink:

Is that the baileys 390 taiwan complete sealed kit? I was wondering about those, actual real world hard use, as in many many tanks. The reason I was wondering is because on numerous threads, people recommend not using provided rings and clips with the inexpensive aftermarket pistons and cylinders and going with OEM or caber rings, etc. I have a toasted 310 and want to rebuild it, and meteor I guess doesn't make that size yet, so would go with the taiwan stuff, but more leaning to just getting the piston and cylinder and using the more recommended rings and clips. BUT, if the sealed units actually hold up well, there's no need really. I know they will start and run, etc, but I haven't found any real long term review threads yet.

Is that the baileys 390 taiwan complete sealed kit? I was wondering about those, actual real world hard use, as in many many tanks. The reason I was wondering is because on numerous threads, people recommend not using provided rings and clips with the inexpensive aftermarket pistons and cylinders and going with OEM or caber rings, etc. I have a toasted 310 and want to rebuild it, and meteor I guess doesn't make that size yet, so would go with the taiwan stuff, but more leaning to just getting the piston and cylinder and using the more recommended rings and clips. BUT, if the sealed units actually hold up well, there's no need really. I know they will start and run, etc, but I haven't found any real long term review threads yet.

Yes it's a Baileys unit when they first came out but when I received it I tore it apart and lighting it just a little

Well I finally got off of my lazy rear and MM'ed the 261... I LIKE IT!!! It definitely has a bit more torque now, (not that it was lacking before). It bogs a bit when I bury the 16" bar (running /.050-3/8" chain) but it keeps cutting and runs A LOT cooler now. Now I just need to save the $$$ to have it ported and I'm good to go!

Dolmar 5105 or 346XP for 50cc range.

Forget Stihl unless you have a lot of time on your hands to wait for a cut. Not to mention the weight.

It is obvious you have never run a MS261, especially not in hardwoods like hickory,hedge, locust or oak. When you get over 100 cord cut with one come back and give an opinion based on having run one, I've got both on a 346 and 261, both are good, not even remotely close to your post.

It is obvious you have never run a MS261, especially not in hardwoods like hickory,hedge, locust or oak. When you get over 100 cord cut with one come back and give an opinion based on having run one, I've got both on a 346 and 261, both are good, not even remotely close to your post.

I was about to say the same thing. You can just tell when someone is drinking the Kool-aid, whether it be Stihl or Husqvarna flavored.

I was about to say the same thing. You can just tell when someone is drinking the Kool-aid, whether it be Stihl or Husqvarna flavored.

Considering that there are really aren't any bad Pro-saws from the big three and several of the smaller ones, absolutely trashing one based off of un-informed opinion is a bit silly. I know that Indiansprings prefers a 261 over a 346 from knowledgeable personal experience, but he still maintains that the 346 is a good saw. That sort of integrity is something I pay attention to. Whether it suits your personal tastes or not, will always be a subjective thing. That said, if you can't objectively make observations in regards the relative merits or lack thereof of a given object, it's probably better not to post at all.

I'll always agree that both Husky and Dolmar make some excellent saws, especially the models I've run, I have no issue running any brand as long as it is a good saw. I'd prefer a 261 but would run a 346 anyday, same with a 372, I've always thought the 359 was one of the most undertated saws for the money.

Preference is what it boils down to. Stihl saws are cosmetically different. That's why I like them. Who cares about a few RPM's when your working. A sharp chain on a dependable saw is what's important.

As I said earlier, we had to go sight in some deer guns today. I bought new ammo for my slug guns and my 2 06's so I was more than curious to see how they were shooting. I can't hunt with rifles in my area so just wanted to see what was still hitting. The 30 oughts were a little off but I wasn't going to shoot $35 worth of shells to make the holes touch. My old Mossberg 500 shotgun though took a bit of adjustment cause I was into a totally differant batch of slugs. Got it on with a few tweeks and looked down the range at all the fancy deer guns that guys were shooting and came to the conclusion that That old Mossberg of mine is a lot like a Stihl 029.

Nobody likes them, they are noisy and chincy with its aluminum reciever. It often times blows the action open if you"re not holding the slide shut when you fire a hot round, and sometimes the stock comes loose requiring a little work to firm that up. But you know what, that gun is over 30 years old and has put a lot of meat in the freezer and cupboard through the years. Its been banged off the ground, dropped in the water, slid 100 ft down a hill and left out in the rain.Its by no means a remotely nice looking gun, but that sucker works, and works good. I'm pretty sure if I got a buck in sight come Monday its comin home with me if I want it. I have way better slug guns to use but I'm using the Mossberg cause thats what I have confidence in and I can afford to shoot it. Kinda like an 029 I guess.

Latest posts

Back