What a day. Pics of my hauler loaded to the max!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OH_Varmntr

Burner of stored sunlight
Reaction score
Didn't start as early as I wanted, but my cutting grounds are also my brothers hunting grounds.

I've been working on my grandfathers ground in Indiana. Before you say it, yes I know about the Emerald Ash Bore beetles, but I have a permit from the USDA Dept to transport this firewood across state lines. It's old enough that any EAB is no longer a threat. There's 4 or 5 large wood piles that were made when the ditch on my grandpas property was dredged about 4 years ago. Some of the stuff is punky and junk, but much of it is still good wood.

It's mostly elm and cottonwood but I found some cherry and oak in it too. Got to use my Cummins to pull the logs out of the pile, and it didn't disappoint me at all. After all, I bought the truck to work it hard and pull my loads of wood.

Just pulled a few logs out.
5daa2c5c.jpg

33301c89.jpg

Break time.
da6ab6de.jpg

Truck's loaded, trailer is getting there. My 77 year old grandpa is running the valve, my buddy is loading, dad is unloading and I'm supposed to be stacking :D
ad566bfe.jpg

All loaded up ready to go.
cbcce5dc.jpg

My wood splitting/stacking staging area in my walkout. Plenty of wood to keep me busy.
aadd0982.jpg

My stack. Covered by a tarp for now. Planning on coming off the top of the retaining wall with a roof then going from there. It's stacked 3 rows deep now with ash. Oh ya, there's my 38' chimney. That was expensive.
4420a7cc.jpg

Nice Work!

You can be proud of that load, and all split to boot. You Guys were really Working!
Looks Like Beautiful country there. Three generations.....-It's good times like these you will always Cherish.

Thanks guys!

I got out at 1030AM and started pulling logs off the pile and grandpa came back on the Gator. Kept telling me I was going to tear my truck up hauling those logs off :wink2: Apparently I don't quite do things the way he used to. I guess he would say I'm not doing it the "right" way. :msp_biggrin:

But he wanted to help out so he brought a chair back later and ran the splitter valve for us. He built the splitter some 25ish years ago, so he was really enjoying running it.

Good ole grandpa. I've spent many many many hours with him working on cars in his shop. He's getting to the point where he's having problems with his legs and can't really get around too good on some days.

:msp_smile: working with gramps is the best thing to do.. Dad's come in a very close second. You will remember these days for the rest of your life.

Nice pile of wood and what a great work truck.. Should we ask how much of a bank loan it was for that stack??? :msp_sad: Is that a lake or a dug out behind your place?? What ever the case may be it looks like you have a nice place.:msp_smile:

great load! i love the feeling at the end of the day when it all goes good and i have a nice load of firewood. unfortunately, not able to get ut in the woods this year and gotta get it delivered and buck it up here. and i'm getting jealous!! got a brand new ms250 waitng for delivery! ordered up a load a few weeks ago, knowing the man is pretty busy and it can take time to get it delivered. mentioned i should call the gut the other day in front of my son and he says," oh, you had a message about delivering the firewood." "when was that?" i ask. "ohhh, 2 weeks ago.":bang: so now its gettin delivered in the next couple days.
on the huntin thing: i've done some serious cutting in some areas also used for hunting. from what i was told, it actually helped as it got the deer used to the noise some and they would let down their guard.

:msp_smile: working with gramps is the best thing to do.. Dad's come in a very close second. You will remember these days for the rest of your life.

Nice pile of wood and what a great work truck.. Should we ask how much of a bank loan it was for that stack??? :msp_sad: Is that a lake or a dug out behind your place?? What ever the case may be it looks like you have a nice place.:msp_smile:

Thanks, my house was a LOT cheaper than what you would think. It's 3600 sq ft, 2 car attached garage, 4bed 2.5bath with a full basement and walkout all on 4 acres. I have a little less than 100k in it. It was in rough shape when we bought it though. The pond you see is my neighbors. They let us swim and use it whenever we want. Very good people.

great load! i love the feeling at the end of the day when it all goes good and i have a nice load of firewood. unfortunately, not able to get ut in the woods this year and gotta get it delivered and buck it up here. and i'm getting jealous!! got a brand new ms250 waitng for delivery! ordered up a load a few weeks ago, knowing the man is pretty busy and it can take time to get it delivered. mentioned i should call the gut the other day in front of my son and he says," oh, you had a message about delivering the firewood." "when was that?" i ask. "ohhh, 2 weeks ago.":bang: so now its gettin delivered in the next couple days.
on the huntin thing: i've done some serious cutting in some areas also used for hunting. from what i was told, it actually helped as it got the deer used to the noise some and they would let down their guard.

Yea, it doesn't phase the deer at all. The morning after we cut all that wood, my brother saw 14 deer and a coyote in that very field. If anything, like you said, it helps them.

great Work, I have only one complaint...you didn't drop any off at my house on your way home....some neighbor you are..:hmm3grin2orange: Seriously great job, looks like fun. I get to do that in the spring at the farm...100+ ash trees to take down

Jeff

100+ ash trees?! If you want any help getting rid of any of that, let me know lol :yoyo:

great Work, I have only one complaint...you didn't drop any off at my house on your way home....some neighbor you are..:hmm3grin2orange: Seriously great job, looks like fun. I get to do that in the spring at the farm...100+ ash trees to take down

Jeff

good thing you got a stihl!

Back