what about a johnny 2152?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
timonjg

timonjg

ArboristSite Lurker
i've got the opprotunity to pick up a used 2152 from a buddy of mine for 250? is it worth it? i know he keeps up with maintenance real well but it's about a year or two old. is it the long haul workhorse that he's making it out to be or should i just keep the money and gather an extra 100 to buy a new one. or just pass up on the 2152 all together? anybody have any field experiences with this saw.

Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
The Jonsered dealer I go to sells a lot of them. They seem to do well for the occasional user. They are not a year round work saw in my opinion. For $250 it would need to be mint( paint still on original bar and a new chain)for me to look at it. You never know how much wrong mix and bar yanking has been done. The 2156 and 2159 are much better general purpose saws. The can occasionally handle a 20" bar and have a little more speed. I think they feel better. Good luck.

Woodie

Woodie

"Cap'n Bullcrap'n"
The 2152 is Jonsered's smallest pro-grade saw. Magnesuim crankcase and all. Where I live they go for about $420. They are considered a great small saw.

They are pretty much made for a 16" or 18" bar, and wouldn't struggle with a 20" for occassional use (assuming you're using a sprocket-nose bar).

Although Justsaws is right, you don't know about any abuse the saw has taken, on the flip side you would also be getting a saw that's fully broken in and should already be in the sweet spot when it comes to power.

For me, that $250 sounds pretty good. I've got the 2159, and I'm loving every minute of mine, but I paid $460 new (on sale).

I did my research (on this board and elsewhere) and I found very few people who would talk down about the 2152. If you've got a competent dealer around you, I'd say that $250 isn't too bad a price.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Justsaws said:
The Jonsered dealer I go to sells a lot of them. They seem to do well for the occasional user. They are not a year round work saw in my opinion. For $250 it would need to be mint( paint still on original bar and a new chain)for me to look at it. You never know how much wrong mix and bar yanking has been done. The 2156 and 2159 are much better general purpose saws. The can occasionally handle a 20" bar and have a little more speed. I think they feel better. Good luck.
That's right - and the 2152 is basically the same saw as the Husky 353.
The 2147 and 346xp are "peppier" versions of the same saws.

Good saw, I really like my 353 for its intended use, but the power level has its limitations.... :biggrinbounce2:

NYH1

Tacticle Chainsaw Operator.
I looked at a Jonsered 2152 last Friday. It was $379 with a 16 inch bar. I'm almost positive I'm going to get the Husky 353. I like the handle bar angle on the Husky a little better, but the 2152 seemed like a really nice saw. I have no idea what used saws cost, but $250 might not be bad if it's in really good shape. Good luck, let us know what you decide!

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
NYH1 said:
I looked at a Jonsered 2152 last Friday. It was $379 with a 16 inch bar. I'm almost positive I'm going to get the Husky 353. I like the handle bar angle on the Husky a little better, but the 2152 seemed like a really nice saw. I have no idea what used saws cost, but $250 might not be bad if it's in really good shape. Good luck, let us know what you decide!
I agree about the handlebar angle, but the Jred look better......:)

NYH1

Tacticle Chainsaw Operator.
SawTroll said:
I agree about the handlebar angle, but the Jred look better......:)
They sure do look better. A few years ago I would of bought the one that looked better. Now that I'm getting older (be 32 in December :) ) I go with what works better instead of what looks better. Oh no........I think I might be growing up!!! :dizzy: :biggrinbounce2: :cheers:

Toneman

Toneman

Makin Chips
SawTroll said:
That's right - and the 2152 is basically the same saw as the Husky 353.
The 2147 and 346xp are "peppier" versions of the same saws.

Good saw, I really like my 353 for its intended use, but the power level has its limitations.... :biggrinbounce2:

Is the 2147 available in USA or Canada? My dealer told me that the 2147 was not available in Canada.

Freakingstang

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
I have never heard of the 2147, but I would venture to think that it would be a 346xp in the red and black scheme.....

It is possible he meant the 2149. They made them for a couple years and was basically the same saw as the husky 351, which was the older version of the 353 and 2152. They had a 1mm smaller bore than the current models.

spike60

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Toneman said:
Is the 2147 available in USA or Canada? My dealer told me that the 2147 was not available in Canada.
The 2147 is not imported into the US. Tilton Equipment doesn't feel that the sales would justify bringing it in. (I disagree on that)

Part of the reasoning is that they would have to use some EPA credits to do so, and those credits are better spent on the 2171.

However, now that we have seen some E-tech versions of the 346XP, it might be a more feasable idea, so I'll ask them about it again. (I'd like to get one myself!)

In answer to the original post, the 2152 is a nice saw and customers love it. $250 sounds OK if it has pretty much seen only light use, but if not, and you are only $100 away from the new one, that's the direction I'd go.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
NYH1 said:
They sure do look better. A few years ago I would of bought the one that looked better. Now that I'm getting older (be 32 in December :) ) I go with what works better instead of what looks better. Oh no........I think I might be growing up!!! :dizzy: :biggrinbounce2: :cheers:
I am still working at that - growing up I mean....:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
spike60 said:
..... However, now that we have seen some E-tech versions of the 346XP, it might be a more feasable idea, so I'll ask them about it again. (I'd like to get one myself!) ....
Cat ("C") versions of these and other smaller Jred pro models has been sold here for several years, but at a slight premium in retail price.
As far as I know, they are not popular...:pumpkin2:

Last edited:
New England Jim

New England Jim

ArboristSite Lurker
I've owned a 2152 for 2 years now and it's a good saw. I cut an average of 3 to 4 cord a year and it works great. I don't like the oilers on them that much but I haven't over heated the bar even in big stuff so I shouldn't complain...
I put a better bar and chain set up on mine from Bailey's last year and it really tears through wood now.
I think for cutting average size firewood in newengland it will work fine for you. good luck with it.

Latest posts