What about an ECHO CS-400?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We do a lot of saw work here at this farm. My wife does more limbing and brush work than most people and I want to get something that is light, safe, and absolutely reliable for her as we have yet another project that will require hours and hours of saw work.

SO a "bang per buck" question.

What is on the market that is a better bang per buck for that type of work than an ECHO CS-400? New ones go for around $300 bucks plus tax around here.

Last edited:
Get a Stihl Instead

I may be one of a few members of this forum who owns both a Stihl and an Echo. Mine is the Echo 3900 that is no longer made. It's a terrific limb saw that can handle some felling as well. I use it like a soldier. The CS 400 has a larger engine than my 39 cc, but my 1996 saw is probably made better than the Echo models that they build today. At least many have told me that.

My advice would be to buy the best Stihl that you can afford to pay for rather than the CS 400. Now I will duck as all the new Echo owners throw darts and fire bullets at my head. :monkey:

Actually the only other saws she's had experience with are listed below in my signature...all including the 365 are too heavy or too nasty.

A Husky 350 that was warmed over by a local saw builder was appreciated but a little on the loud side with its unique modded muffler...and I'm just not certain about the plastic 350's. Thats about as big as she's comfortable with.

The biggest Stihl that works would be something in the old 028/026 class.
The 026 is more than I want to spend new. I know NOTHING about the smaller Stihl's and the new small Husqvarna's.

I hear good things about Japanese built Echo's.

We do a lot of saw work here at this farm. My wife does more limbing and brush work than most people and I want to get something that is light, safe, and absolutely reliable for her as we have yet another project that will require hours and hours of saw work.

What is on the market that is a better bang per buck for that type of work than an ECHO CS-400? New ones go for around $300 bucks plus tax around here.

Get the MS250, built better and more powerful.

I hear good things about Japanese built Echo's.

I've got two 330 EVLP's and a new 670. Absolutely reliable. The little 330's are really light and with a sharp chain cut really well. One was used on a tree farm for YEARS before my local dealer took it on trade. It sat in his storage room for a year and when pulled out it started on the 3rd pull. I liked it so much I bought another one off the Bay that inlcuded another parts saw with it. Since the first was missing the handle support and the parts saw had it it was a perfect deal. I have less than $100 in all three (2 running and a parts saw).

The 670 does everything I need it to do as I cut firewood only (big firewood though!). I recently dropped a 60' cherry that was about 32". The 670 just chewed through it. No speed demon but it pulled the 24" B&C with no complaints though I wouldn't think of putting a larger B&C on it.

I like Echo. I can't justify the $$ for Stihl. Look around, I see a lot of the older Echos going for pretty cheap. I had a line on a 650 EVL for $125 but didn't end up getting it. Wish I would have now.

I just got one of these new in the box off the bay for $215 shipped. Normally I'm a Husky guy but thought I would get one and play with it. Pretty impressed so far for what it is. Especially like that it can sit for a half hour and start with 1 pull. It was blocking off 12" Oak firewood at about 10 seconds a cut. Factory chain and settings, I thought that was pretty respectable for a 40cc saw.

:cheers:

I have a CS-4400. It is really a nice saw. Light weight, great handling, and it always starts. The saw originally came with Oregon 33SL chain, which sucks big time. Put on a narrow kerf bar & run 20NK chain now. It's the same chain I use on the 346XP NE.

Last edited:
echo saws

i have a few stihls and 1 echo cs 3900. i like the echo torque and i have been using it for years no problem. get the echo.

My advice would be to buy the best Stihl that you can afford to pay for rather than the CS 400. Now I will duck as all the new Echo owners throw darts and fire bullets at my head. :monkey:

:agree2: :agree2: :agree2: :agree2: :agree2: :agree2:

I've got two 330 EVLP's and a new 670. Absolutely reliable. The little 330's are really light and with a sharp chain cut really well. One was used on a tree farm for YEARS before my local dealer took it on trade. It sat in his storage room for a year and when pulled out it started on the 3rd pull. I liked it so much I bought another one off the Bay that inlcuded another parts saw with it. Since the first was missing the handle support and the parts saw had it it was a perfect deal. I have less than $100 in all three (2 running and a parts saw).

The 670 does everything I need it to do as I cut firewood only (big firewood though!). I recently dropped a 60' cherry that was about 32". The 670 just chewed through it. No speed demon but it pulled the 24" B&C with no complaints though I wouldn't think of putting a larger B&C on it.

I like Echo. I can't justify the $$ for Stihl. Look around, I see a lot of the older Echos going for pretty cheap. I had a line on a 650 EVL for $125 but didn't end up getting it. Wish I would have now.

Glad to hear you like your CS670. It's a very good saw for hacks like myself. They're not the fastest stock saw in the world but they are well built. I used to run a 20" bar before the mods and now a 28" fits it nicely. I have a new 20" GB ProTop bar you can have if you want it, just for saying nice things about Echo's. Send me PM.

Visit the local dealers, and let her handle some saws. Might be able to get a deal on a used saw, too. My Echo starts easy, runs well, and for the little saw that it is, cuts it up pretty good. And check out ebay for some bargains, as some people do well there.

Echo makes VERY good,long lasting products.Don't listen to the bashers.Talk to people who own anything Echo and they more than likely love it.

The biggest bang-for-the-buck (new)Makita DCS401 is very lightweight (8.8# powerhead), has magnesium cases and decomp valve. Its a model being phased out, so available very reasonably ($225 plus shipping on Ebay). If you have a local Dolmar dealer, see if they have the Dolmar PS-401 (same saw in red) or a 540 which is also the old model.

The replacement for the DCS401/PS-401 is the PS-420, and more power, still lightweight, but more $$.

Other choices (used) Husqvarna 353 or 346xp, Stihl 026 or MS-260. These can often be bought really reasonably in excellent condition.

We have several Echo's in the line-up, and all of them have been dead solid reliable, even the CS-360T top handle, which I've been told will develope a "death rattle" in short order. We've been running it a LOT, and it performs flawlessly. We have logged countless hours on the two CS-510's, and continue to use them because of the light weight, decent power to weight ratios, and very conservative for fuel consumption.

The only Echo saws that we didn't like were the top handle reed valve engine models, 300, 301, etc. They are OK, but WAY down on power and chain speed compared to the piston ported engine models.

We also have an Echo garden tiller, leaf blower, and string trimmer, never had the first problem one with any of them.

If I were looking to purchase a small/lightweight saw for the Mrs, it would be a CS-370 or 400.

Echo chainsaws continue to get some bashing from time to time on this site. I don't buy into all the drama. I always try to be open minded about things, and post usable accurate information on products that we have considerable experience with.......Cliff

I've got a Stihl 026 (just got it) and an Echo CS-440. The Echo is not built up to the quality and engineering standard of the Stihl, but it is still darn good and better than anything I would call a "mass consumer" saw. I like the CS-440 a lot, it has adequate power, really low vibes, handles well, start like a dream, and its really quiet. In my real world of low volume firewood gathering the only thing the 026 has on it is power, and long- long term durability due to better construction and engineering.

Don't let the Echo haters dissuade you from at least checking out the CS-400. The only thing I can't reccomend you do is pay MSRP for the Echo, they are priced a little too close to the top tier brands at MSRP and if I HAD to buy one new at MSRP I would spring for an MS250 instead. Check Ebay or Craigslist, there is always 2-3 NIB CS-370 and CS-400's around here on Craigslist for $180.00-$200.00. At those prices the Echo would be a no-brainer. If I weren't already so set with saws I would try one out.

Good hunting.
Brian S.

I would check this out the MS 192 C-E Chain Saw Rear handle (7.4lbs / 1.7hp) The MS 180 or 210 are worth looking into as well.

Look at the husky 340 and 345 as well (they may be called 235 and 240now.). Take her to the saw shops, and have her demo several saws. She is the one who will be using it.

You are a lucky man having your wife help you at the wood pile!!! Buying a saw with her should be fun.

There is nothing wrong with the "homeowner" saw, for its intended purpose. Just keep the chain sharp and maintain it. It will last for years!!! Make sure she has chaps, chainsaw helmet ect.

Let us know what she gets

I've got a Stihl 026 (just got it) and an Echo CS-440. The Echo is not built up to the quality and engineering standard of the Stihl, but it is still darn good and better than anything I would call a "mass consumer" saw. I like the CS-440 a lot, it has adequate power, really low vibes, handles well, start like a dream, and its really quiet. In my real world of low volume firewood gathering the only thing the 026 has on it is power, and long- long term durability due to better construction and engineering.

Don't let the Echo haters dissuade you from at least checking out the CS-400. The only thing I can't reccomend you do is pay MSRP for the Echo, they are priced a little too close to the top tier brands at MSRP and if I HAD to buy one new at MSRP I would spring for an MS250 instead. Check Ebay or Craigslist, there is always 2-3 NIB CS-370 and CS-400's around here on Craigslist for $180.00-$200.00. At those prices the Echo would be a no-brainer. If I weren't already so set with saws I would try one out.

Good hunting.
Brian S.
You'll find more quality in a Echo CS440 than a Stihl MS250 and a little less than a MS260. Steve

Back