What about an ECHO CS-400?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a note on quality. As you can see we use and prefer Husqvarna chain saws. My 480CD is headed out tonight to cut up a Beech tree that has limbs over 24" in diameter on. It will cut thru it like butter, even down at the trunk that's got to be near 40" across. It's been doing this since I bought it new in 1980. It's never really had anything done to it aside from basic maintenence and a few bars and scores of chains replaced.

I bought a 268XPS to compliment the 480, as it's much lighter, and cuts faster. ZERO problems anyplace, it's already got at least 2 lifetimes on it, if it gives up tomorrow, it owes me nothing.

I went on to buy a 55 for the light work, I absolutely LOVE this saw, light, fast, reliable.

Then I bought a 141.......BAD MOVE. It was absolutely the biggest Poulan POS I ever got hold of. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Lesson learned, just because it says Husqvarna on it, doesn't mean it's a quality product.

I suspect the same holds true with Stihl's, as we've encountered folks who were not overly satisfied with some of the less expensive models.

We were fortunate enough to obtain nearly every Echo saw and peice of power equipment in it's line up a couple of years ago. I didn't even visit this website at that time, so no one warned me as to how bad they were. That was probably a good thing, seeing that the general concenous is to avoid them.

I wasn't overly impressed with the top handle reed valve engine saws, got rid of them quickly. However, the rest of the line-up has served us quite well. All of the units we obtained were set too lean as delivered, probably due to EPA requirements? In any case, they make decent power, not overly impressive, just decent. These are not really high speed engines like the Husqvarna's, but have plenty of torque, and have given us ZERO troubles in any area. For the price, we consider them very good saws. It is my opinion that they overrate them slightly, as ours are all much happier with the bars at least 2" shorter than they typically show up with. For example, the CS-670 showed up with a 24" bar, it's got it's tongue hanging out in hardwood, but runs perfectly with a 20" bar. Same with the CS-510, a 20" bar is too much, 18" pretty good, and they really shine with a 16" bar. They also use LOW quality chains, you might as well take them off before you head to the woods and put real chains on them, otherwise, using them can be a lesson in humility.

In any case, I continue to read negative reports about Echo stuff. We have mostly good things to say about them, and have tried to be as accurate as possible with the information provided....FWIW.....Cliff

I had the chance

I almost picked up a used cs-4400 a few weeks ago. Missing the bar and chain, but the motor supposedly ran well. Thought I might try to ebay it, or throw a Baileys bar and chain combo on it and relist it on CL, but I decided not to. Figured my better half would probably cause serious bodily injury if I brought another one home. That saw was about 40 minutes from home.

Should probably mention that asking price was 30 bucks or best offer.:bang:

Only problem with buying a new saw from the bay is that Echo will not honor the warranty. It has to be bought from the original retailer in order to be acceptable for the warranty. They prohibit any internet sales of new saws as do most everyone else. It was a gamble I was willing to take, $187- Ebay vs $369-dealer.

From an email inquiring about this:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the warranty on ECHO products purchased on eBay.

ECHO, Incorporated prohibits the sale of ECHO products and parts via the Internet. ECHO requires that their products be sold at retail locations to ensure proper setup and service along with proper user training at the point of sale. This also ensures that all product sales meet government regulations since product specifications and certifications vary in the U.S. by state and by country outside the U.S. Retailers could encounter severe liability issues if ECHO products are sold outside the U.S. or do not meet state requirements in the U.S.

Since we do not allow internet sales, eBay units do not have a manufacturers warranty. The warranty is applicable to the original retailer only. All new units feature a 5-year residential warranty, 1-year commercial warranty (Back pack PB models feature 2 yr. commercial), a 90-day rental warranty, a lifetime ignition module warranty, and a lifetime drive shaft warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.

We hope to have answered your question. Should you require further assistance, please feel free to update your incident.

Sincerely,

Bryan Price
ECHO Consumer Support Dept.
1800-673-1558

Only problem with buying a new saw from the bay is that Echo will not honor the warranty. It has to be bought from the original retailer in order to be acceptable for the warranty. They prohibit any internet sales of new saws as do most everyone else. It was a gamble I was willing to take, $187- Ebay vs $369-dealer.

From an email inquiring about this:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the warranty on ECHO products purchased on eBay.

ECHO, Incorporated prohibits the sale of ECHO products and parts via the Internet. ECHO requires that their products be sold at retail locations to ensure proper setup and service along with proper user training at the point of sale. This also ensures that all product sales meet government regulations since product specifications and certifications vary in the U.S. by state and by country outside the U.S. Retailers could encounter severe liability issues if ECHO products are sold outside the U.S. or do not meet state requirements in the U.S.

Since we do not allow internet sales, eBay units do not have a manufacturers warranty. The warranty is applicable to the original retailer only. All new units feature a 5-year residential warranty, 1-year commercial warranty (Back pack PB models feature 2 yr. commercial), a 90-day rental warranty, a lifetime ignition module warranty, and a lifetime drive shaft warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.

We hope to have answered your question. Should you require further assistance, please feel free to update your incident.

Sincerely,

Bryan Price
1800-673-1558

Perhaps, but all you need is the serial number to register your warranty online on the Echo website. It asks you where you bought the unit, and there is a space for "gift". I'm not sure how they could decree that you can't have warranty repair if they allow you to register your warranty online and give you a confirmation once it is complete?

Can a local dealer demand to see a receipt of original purchase before they repair it?

ECHO requires that their products be sold at retail locations to ensure proper setup and service along with proper user training at the point of sale.

Does HD provide these services??? Sounds like BS to me.

ECHO requires that their products be sold at retail locations to ensure proper setup and service along with proper user training at the point of sale.

Sincerely,

Bryan Price
1800-673-1558

im not sure but if some peahead at orangehell(no offence Mule! :) ) failed to train someone to use a saw and they got hurt, well would douchbag Byan admit liability? sounds like the usual american coprate BS screwjob to me.

after reading that @ssclowns spewage i will stay far away from echo.

you would do well looking at the dolmar 401 or husky 340-350.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Well it seems this one has veered way off course as most Echo-centric threads seem to do on this site. Bottom line is the Echo makes good saws by all accounts. There will be some who wet themselves when they read this. That's okay. I have kids, I can deal with it.

So to answer the OP's question, or at least a partial answer, There probably aren't too many saws made by a company that's been around as long as Echo with the reputation for excellent reliabilty for that price. Of course you could spend more on a Stihl or Husky that will do the same chores in about the same amount of time and perhaps it will be, like, 0.005 oz's lighter. We all know that, duh. It's a personal question though, is the slighlty lighter, slightly higher rated power head, sexier saw worth anywhere between $100-200 more? Only you can answer that.

The OP's question was about "bang for buck". I think that's what "Kioritz" means when translated, eh? :)

:popcorn:

after reading that @ssclowns spewage i will stay far away from echo.

Just out of curiousity how many saw manufacturers allow on-line sales and will still honor the warranty? (in the States that is). I'm asking, I don't know.

Seems to me most if not all the big ones wouldn't "allow" this type of merchandising but I may be wrong about that.

I have personally done a lot of repair work on the CS 670 Echo`s and find that they are a really well made saw for the price,they start easy and run smooth with a good idle and not bad power running a 20" bar full comp. Are there better saws for a lot more money,YES but unless you are a pro or full time user an Echo would last someone a good long time with proper maintenance. IMO
PIONEERGUY600

Just out of curiousity how many saw manufacturers allow on-line sales and will still honor the warranty? (in the States that is). I'm asking, I don't know.

Seems to me most if not all the big ones wouldn't "allow" this type of merchandising but I may be wrong about that.

well this Bryan guy is full of do-do anyway, how do you account for HD and baily's mail order sales.

solo seems to embrace the internet but prices are high. seems all the other saws can be bought/warrantied from afar if you know the right peeps or where the backdoor is...

it all comes down to wanting to help sombody instead of screw them.

Echos have been shyte for the last 30 years and it'll be a sad, sad day if us bush workers can no longer bash them as crappy gutless junk..:laugh:

Echos have been shyte for the last 30 years and it'll be a sad, sad day if us bush workers can no longer bash them as crappy gutless junk..:laugh:

You can bash them all you want. I doubt anyone will ever be able to change your mind. It's okay really.

I (and many others) just don't agree that you have to pay huge money for a reliable saw. Like I said before, they surely don't lead the pack in too many categories other than "bang for buck" and that's what the OP was inquiring about. There's nothing wrong with Stihl or Husky or Dolmar, or Solo, or... They just aren't an Echo, that's all. And there is nothing wrong with that either.

Just don't try to convince everyone that what you need a saw for is what someone else needs a saw for. It isn't so. I'm happy for you that you like the high dollar stuff and that you can justify/afford it.

"Gutless junk" is some pretty harsh criticism. Maybe you have your reasons for classifying all Echo saws. It just sounds silly though.

The biggest bang-for-the-buck (new)Makita DCS401 is very lightweight (8.8# powerhead), has magnesium cases and decomp valve. Its a model being phased out, so available very reasonably ($225 plus shipping on Ebay). If you have a local Dolmar dealer, see if they have the Dolmar PS-401 (same saw in red) or a 540 which is also the old model.

The replacement for the DCS401/PS-401 is the PS-420, and more power, still lightweight, but more $$.

Other choices (used) Husqvarna 353 or 346xp, Stihl 026 or MS-260. These can often be bought really reasonably in excellent condition.

I'll second this. I bought one because of the advise of excess and a few other people on this site. I've only cut down a couple small trees with it but I like the way it feels and cuts. The only negatives are that the oiler is not adjustable and the oiler leaks some when you park it. I still need to get an adjustable oiler for it.

I admit echos are great for cutting thru bamboo stalks, rogue dandelion stems, overgrown pansy gardens, tough paper envelopes or balsa wood packaging, but 'gutless junk' is still a very polite and restrained description,:clap: but spend a week full-time on a "pro-grade' echo, then spend a week full-time on the equivalent pro husky or stihl, THEN tell me the echo wasn't 'gutless junk' by comparison.. :cheers:

Just because a saw doesn't run or cut quite as fast as another, doesn't qualify it as "gutless junk".

We have been objective about commenting on the Echo power equipment that we have. The newer piston ported engine chain saws that Echo is making have served us quite well, without the first catastrophic engine failure, or having to replace any parts other than chains, bars, and drive sprockets.

We have said on more than one occassion, that they make "decent" power, but are not overly impressive. They still start effortlessly, run flawlessly, and don't give any problems in any area(s). Cases in point. If I were to compare our Husqvarna 268XPS to the Echo CS-670, the Echo looses in every catagory, except ease of starting and reliability. The 268 runs faster, cuts faster, and has more power at every rpm, even "grunting" it hardwood with the entire bar buried. The Echo in contrast, just runs and cuts, and has a more or less "boring" power curve.....but it gets thru the log without falling apart or seizing up.

I've logged enough hours on them to feel confident in provided usable/accurate information about them. If/when we have problems, they will be reported. Sometimes these threads turn into "Chevy/Ford/Dodge truck loyalist reports", making it difficult to extract accurate information from opinions.....FWIW.....Cliff

PS: I will say that the Echo 510 wins in one catagory, it will cut more firewood per gallon of fuel than anything else in our line-up. It might take a bit longer to get-er-done, but saving money is a concern these days, fuel ain't cheap!

Last edited:
All of this Echo talk prompted me into running my CS-4400 yesterday. I am always impressed with how easy the saw starts and how it feels & handles. I will never mistake it for my 346XP NE, but then the Husky cost me twice as much as did the Echo. I run 20NK chain on both of these saws and it has worked out well for me.

Latest posts

Back